How to keep people from using driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by red7404
i put rail road ties lineing my drive.

In the inner city, those railroad ties won't be laid down more than a day, not without local police visiting you - demanding removal.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Do you want to do it cheap? or do it pretty?

Cheap: a chain across it, a cone in the middle, park an old car on it, etc.

Pretty: automated gate and a remote.

The issue I have with chains is liability. People get sued over stuff like this. Somebody hauling through, doesn't see the chain and cone and damages their car, gets injured or killed.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

In the inner city, those railroad ties won't be laid down more than a day, not without local police visiting you - demanding removal.

I don't live in the inner city. My nearest neighbor is a few hundred yards from my property line.

Trying to understand why you could not use railroad ties on your own property? I use them on mine, but i'm not in a city environment.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by FT92
most people don't read signs and if they do read them they couldn't care less..i have had people run over shrubs ,knock over my mail box and just drive thru the yard...tried about everything , if I could sit out there all day and night I guess I would just use what ever weapon I would choose for that day

This is the truth. We had several solicitors over the summer. I put up a no soliciting sign and it did nothing at all.

Their knocking gets the dogs going and wakes the wife up.

Another benefit of the fence and gate: Solicitors can't get onto the property.

Not sure why a house would have a roundabout driveway in the "inner city". Not even sure what users' definitions of "inner city" is.

Anyplace, regardless of locality to a city, should be set up that the landowner has ownership of their driveway past the apron or buffer along the road. Even in rural areas, the town/county/state owns some strip along the road in many cases. But past that (we'd call that the "apron" in the suburbs or others' "inner city" areas), the landowner can do what they like. If they want to put up a retaining wall or planter in the way, theyre free to. Of course that obstructs their use too.

Lining the drive with them wont stop passing through...

Blockage is key.

My 2 acre semi rural property was a constant headache, one that almost cost me my life (a story for another day) . The neighbors tried every trick in the book to continue using my property as they saw fit. Including, but not limited to, horses with bad people, a motocross, tractor, swamp buggy, and ATV track, a lovers-lane, a pass-through to the everglades, and a drive by shooting range.

We tried everything, cameras, dogs, signs, spikes, cables, mounds of dirt, you name it. Only one thing worked. A quality fence and powered/locked gate with 2 courses of barbed wire on top of both the fence and gate.

Eventually, the trouble subsided, as the injuries mounted.

Last edited:
Apparently, the mid-street, 3-point turn is no longer a skill in the typical driver's repertoire. Driveway turners have become a problem for us in recent years. I think it is a combination of location on the street and a few neighbors just up the street that often have large parties. When I get sick of it, I'll park a car down at the end but must put it in the middle or it will make no difference at all.

One summer Saturday I was working under a car up by the garage and some dimwit contractor pulled in with his one-ton crew cab towing a large gooseneck trailer. When I emerged from under the car he freaked out and tried to quickly back out, jack-knifing the trailer in the process. Wife says I have a "hostile resting face" and intimidate people, but at that point I was laughing pretty hard. I get it - people who don't live locally don't realize the road is a big circle. But a commercial vehicle towing a trailer? Give me a break!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back