BMW “G3” Axle Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for an alternative to BMW G3 Hypoid axle fluid used in the rear diff of newer BMW vehicles. It appears to be a 70w-80 GL-5. The genuine BMW stuff is about $50 per HALF liter. Part number 83222413512

I found MOPAR Synthetic Axle Fluid (70w-80 GL-5, part number 68227765-AB)

Think there's anything special about the BMW fluid where the MOPAR couldn't be used? This is a non-LSD, non-AWD clutch (Haldex type) application.

Originally Posted by E365
I'm looking for an alternative to BMW G3 Hypoid axle fluid used in the rear diff of newer BMW vehicles. It appears to be a 70w-80 GL-5. The genuine BMW stuff is about $50 per HALF liter. Part number 83222413512

I found MOPAR Synthetic Axle Fluid (70w-80 GL-5, part number 68227765-AB)

Think there's anything special about the BMW fluid where the MOPAR couldn't be used? This is a non-LSD, non-AWD clutch (Haldex type) application.

Is this X1 or X2?
BMW rear differentials in longitudinal engines, RWD or xDrive are super easy on differential fluid. I am really not sure is there anything special about rear differential in these FWD based applications. Maybe it is. For example, transfer case on xDrives use very specific fluid, and almost all manufacturers are staying away from aftermarket production. But rear differentials are just typical GL-5 75W90.
How many miles you have on it?

Last edited:
It's a 2017 MINI Clubman S ALL4, so basically the same car as a newer X1 or X2.

From what I can tell there's two fluid reservoirs in the rear axle unit. "G3" 70w-80 GL-5 in the actual differential, then a separate reservoir for the AWD clutch unit. BMW HOC oil. "Hang On Clutch" in BMW speak. I haven't looked into that fluid much. The BMW TIS says to properly fill that fluid you should connect to the dealer service computer to bleed and calibrate during/after a fluid change.

I'm pretty new to AWD, but I think I've seen VW Haldex-type units use the same fluid and reservoir for the entire rear unit - both gears and clutch.

30,000 miles now. Prepping for a change a ways out.

Originally Posted by E365
It's a 2017 MINI Clubman S ALL4, so basically the same car as a newer X1 or X2.

From what I can tell there's two fluid reservoirs in the rear axle unit. "G3" 70w-80 GL-5 in the actual differential, then a separate reservoir for the AWD clutch unit. BMW HOC oil. "Hang On Clutch" in BMW speak. I haven't looked into that fluid much. The BMW TIS says to properly fill that fluid you should connect to the dealer service computer to bleed and calibrate during/after a fluid change.

I'm pretty new to AWD, but I think I've seen VW Haldex-type units use the same fluid and reservoir for the entire rear unit - both gears and clutch.

30,000 miles now. Prepping for a change a ways out.

I am not familiar with these BMW units.
But, on transfer case on regular xDrive you basically have to tell car that you changed fluid. One does not need to have ISTA for that, better Autel's could do it, not sure about Carly though. So, it is not big deal if some indy shop has good OBD device.

I have a Foxwell NT530 and unfortunately it won't bleed or calibrate the unit. I also have a 2008 535xi wagon and I believe I saw it will calibrate that transfer case. I had an Indy BMW shop change that fluid a couple years ago because I didn't have an appropriate tool at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back