Scan Tool recommendation

I am looking to purchase a obd2 scan tool. There are so many different brands and price differences. I would like to buy a quality unit for occasional use. I am leaning towards a unit with data logging capability. Preferably made in Taiwan or any non-china country, (sorry China). I do not want to under or over spend. Thanks

After a search I bought the launch x431 diagun. it is Chinese though. I've been happy with so far. Some bidirectional functionality is really helpful.

Originally Posted by ajchien
After a search I bought the launch x431 diagun. it is Chinese though. I've been happy with so far. Some bidirectional functionality is really helpful.

I no that the not buying Chinese qualifier may be hard to fill. Thanks I will check this one out.

Originally Posted by Donald
Maybe get a $20 blue tooth OBDII adapter for phone and see if that provides all of what you need.

Yeah, if you haven't played with "Torque" or similar apps you're in for a pleasant surprise. IDK what you want in "data logging" but it'll log fuel economy and there are various manufacturer specific plugins that open up even more.

And they keep writing more stuff for phone apps-- once you get the dongle you're just beginning, vs a black box standalone scanner with its firmware locked in.

I've had a couple of code readers come down the pike.

I have a cheapy I keep in any car with a recurring code which I'm driving. Sometimes noting the exact time/mileage the code occurs helps.
There, I don't want to keep an expensive one in a car.

I also have a BSR-PPC reader for the Volvos I've been driving. It's a Volvo specific reader which has helped me a lot.
The level of detail of the codes it pulls has been matched in recent years as readers get better.

I've only looked at a few complex readers but Autel is a name which used to come up frequently.
I saw a Launch years ago which had stupid, archaic looking plug in cards. The darn thing wouldn't communicate with my car.

My first generation Scan Gauge has been helpful as it reads many sensors like incoming air temp, coolant temp. ignition timing etc. However, it and the 2nd generation are designed with dashboard installation in mind and don't have the level of detail we all need these days.

You can go to Harbor Freight and look at the array of readers they have. Note what they do and then go comparing on the various manufacturers websites.

Whatever you buy. Go to every vehicle in your family and plug it in to make sure it communicates with them. One of my readers wouldn't link with a new-at-the-time Chevy. That was 2014 or so.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Maybe get a $20 blue tooth OBDII adapter for phone and see if that provides all of what you need.

Yeah, if you haven't played with "Torque" or similar apps you're in for a pleasant surprise. IDK what you want in "data logging" but it'll log fuel economy and there are various manufacturer specific plugins that open up even more.

And they keep writing more stuff for phone apps-- once you get the dongle you're just beginning, vs a black box standalone scanner with its firmware locked in.

Another recommendation for this. $20 for a bluetooth scanner and free apps for Android. And it records some data on your phone. You can graph in real time.

Subscribing, please update what you end up getting. In a similar boat and looking for a cheap dongle to work with a Torque app.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by eljefino

Another recommendation for this. $20 for a bluetooth scanner and free apps for Android. And it records some data on your phone. You can graph in real time.

Yep. Play with this first and then upgrade to better if you need something better down the road.

The Foxwell NT510 is popular on the Honda boards since it is bidirectional and can reset the TPS on ‘05 J35s, for example. They run about 150$.

Last time I looked, a live logging bidirectional scanner w/ OEM support was in the $400+ range.

The "cheap & cheerful" ELM327 WiFi/Bluetooth readers + Torque Pro app are great for pulling codes and monitoring stats, but update frequency isn't good enough for serious diagnostic work.

The new ZR15 from Harbor Freight shows some capability as it can graph 4 PID's at once. It also has bi-directional ability for battery resets and SAS resets on some cars. Look at the manual online.

Good luck on the non-China thingy.

Second vote for the BlueDriver. I have a couple scanners, that one is my favorite. Even works on my Yamaha street bike.

I have been lucky with the $5 ones on ebay that say version 1.5. The ancel brand ones were the best for me. The blue clear colored small ones were the worst, they only connect to CAN bus cars. All were recognized by Torque. Buy Torque pro for the $5.

I have OBDLink LX Bluetooth that I use with an Android device running the free Scantool. Is there a better software for this device? I have a 2013 Fiesta hatch 5 speed. Is there anything that would be a better, more complete fit for it?

I think people are confusing a true bidirectional scantool with one that has a few reset capabilities.

A true bidirectional scantool should be able to turn on the engine cooling fan on most vehicles.

True bidirectional ones are pricey.

Originally Posted by borgward
I have OBDLink LX Bluetooth that I use with an Android device running the free Scantool. Is there a better software for this device? I have a 2013 Fiesta hatch 5 speed. Is there anything that would be a better, more complete fit for it?

You have to try them out. CarScanner gives some custom Toyota sensors for free like the transmission temperature that you have to pay for in TorquePro. My understanding is that Ford has some custom sensors, too.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
The Foxwell NT510 is popular on the Honda boards since it is bidirectional and can reset the TPS on ‘05 J35s, for example. They run about 150$.

Last time I looked, a live logging bidirectional scanner w/ OEM support was in the $400+ range.

The "cheap & cheerful" ELM327 WiFi/Bluetooth readers + Torque Pro app are great for pulling codes and monitoring stats, but update frequency isn't good enough for serious diagnostic work.

Depends how serious you need to get. Learning to use the scan tool for serious diagnostic work is not a trivial matter. Takes some studying to learn what's normal response and what is abnormal and the root cause of the abnormal signals. I've saved a lot ton of money with just the $20 reader and a few hours studying on youtube.

I read a review on a bidirectional scan tool where the user was able to discover that one of his O2 sensors were not performing correctly. This was on a 1998 CRV, his car was running sluggish and he did not have any check engine light . He would have never been able to detect the out of tolerance O2 sensor with the basic scan tool. Now I need to find that review.

Back