ATSC 3.0 HDTV is almost here!

Originally Posted by alarmguy
You need not worry, IF (and that is a big if) and when ATSC becomes widely available your new TV will have it already built in, as some day, those 10 year old TVs of yours will stop working and its at least 10 years away for ATSC 3.0 to be wide spread, add to that, the 5G revolution will revolutionize so many things in the human race that we cant say what will be up with ATSC by then or even if there will be a call for broadcast TV ,, (though I think that is an extreme)

10 year old TVs? I would consider a 10 year old set to be practically new. I have TVs from the 1960s through 1990s still in use on a regular basis (using digital adapters). As stated, I expect consumer electronics to last for a long time. I have no interest in 5G either and do not plan to make use of it.

Originally Posted by Saabist
I have no interest in 5G either and do not plan to make use of it.

"They" are selling frequencies formerly used by TV broadcasters to cell phone companies. Your vote is small but they're doing it anyways.

An update:

A tiny excerpt from an interesting interview:

Samsung, LG, and Sony announced around 20 ATSC 3.0-ready TVs earlier this year, most of which are high-end sets. What are you hearing from TV makers about their plans for expanding TV options moving forward, especially at the more the popular price points? Will we see more brands announcing ATSC 3.0 compatibility at CES 2021?
Noland: In fact, more than 25 new NextGen TV models are available now, and they range from models under $1,000 to very high-end 8K models. The three largest TV manufacturers — LG, Samsung, and Sony — account for more than half of all smart TV sales in the U.S. They collectively announced 20 models for 2020 at the January CES but have since introduced more than originally planned. And yes, we think there will be other brands and lower price points in future years — as was the case when high-definition TVs first reached stores back in 1998. One big difference is speed. Manufacturers are even more competitive now, so it’s likely that we’ll see many more choices and brands committing to NextGen TV for the 2021 model year.

The quality won't be better. Station management will still add more subchannels and resultant video compression until everything's barely viewable, in their eyes, and horrible in ours.

If you could see the network feed off a full satellite transponder, you'd spot the difference.
^^^ EXACTLY, maybe. I agree, first of all I will say the main networks main channels and some minor networks picture quality is stunning, at least in this area. Its their additional side channels that are so dumbed down.
But the main channels, terrific and can compete and surpass any paid TV channel.
I have no hope for anything better with the new standard unless the new standard brings us true 1080p *L* which is possible now but you rarely get it.
I also have no hope for anything better when panels go to 8K as it is impossible to get true 4k material now unless you can get a 4k disc.
Moving forward, this is just "sales" stuff.

^^^ EXACTLY, maybe. I agree, first of all I will say the main networks main channels and some minor networks picture quality is stunning, at least in this area. Its their additional side channels that are so dumbed down.
But the main channels, terrific and can compete and surpass any paid TV channel.
I have no hope for anything better with the new standard unless the new standard brings us true 1080p *L* which is possible now but you rarely get it.
I also have no hope for anything better when panels go to 8K as it is impossible to get true 4k material now unless you can get a 4k disc.
Moving forward, this is just "sales" stuff.
Like I stated before, IMO the biggest advantages of ATSC 3.0 are the vastly improved coverage area that ATSC 3.0 affords (almost triple the area at the same transmission power) and much better reception/performance inside the coverage area. If you look at the current "on the air with ATSC 3.0" coverage map you can see that they are concentrating on areas of the country that can't currently receive a good (or any) ATSC 1.0 signal. This is how the broadcast TV industry will initially benefit the most from the new technology. After that, in the long run, the targeted advertising and subscription services will pay-off handsomely. I agree that this is "sales stuff", but consumer demand is what drives the "sales stuff", and consumers will demand ATSC 3.0 when it becomes widely available. I have a close friend who lives in Phoenix that is getting ready to purchase a new high-end OLED TV and he is waiting for the TVs equipped with ATSC 3.0 to go on sale before he pulls the trigger. Phoenix was one of the first areas to have ATSC 3.0 transmissions.

I get 45 channels basically an hour from San Antonio. More sub channels than I care to watch.

The picture on my cheap 1080p watching an OTA feed is amazing. It will be nice to watch 4k over the air. I have only seen it on display at SAMS Club or best buy.

We used to pay for streaming services, now they have all gone up in price so much to almost match cable, we don't really bother with them. Sometimes we will buy service for a month, but we never get re-occurring subscription.

I can not think of one friend I have (I'm 38), who has cable TV, or paid satellite.

Sounds dumb, but I have been watching tons of documentaries on Youtube, on my TV using Fire Stick. Better than most cable channels.

Also Amazon Prime carries some live football as well.

STBs (set top boxes) that have ATSC 3.0 NEXTGEN tuners are now available as well. To tide him over until he invests in a new TV, my Phoenix buddy just purchased a SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K STB which has 2 ATSC 3.0 tuners and 2 ATSC 1.0 tuners in it. The Phoenix market now has three TV stations broadcasting ATSC 3.0 NEXTGEN signals with eight channels between them.

LAS VEGAS—Jan. 5, 2022—The coalition of U.S. broadcasters transitioning to NEXTGEN TV today applauded the plans announced during CES 2022 by Hisense and MediaTek, and new field test data recently achieved by Sony Electronics at the “Motown 3.0 Open Test Track” in Detroit, Mich. This testing by Sony’s HES-A engineering team further explores receiver options for automotive OEMs leveraging the ATSC 3.0 “NEXTGEN TV” protocol to moving automobiles and stationary devices simultaneously......

NEXTGEN TV is a broadcast technology standard, otherwise known as ATSC 3.0, and is the first major overhaul to the Advanced Television Systems Committee’s (ATSC’s) standard for receiving over-the-air (OTA) signals since ATSC 1.0 was introduced in 1996. ....

Now broadcasting in more than 40 markets covering 45% of the U.S. population, NEXTGEN TV is expected to reach 75% of U.S. households by summer. According to the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), overall 2021 sales of NEXTGEN TVs more than tripled last year’s original forecast, with 3 million units shipped by manufacturers. CTA is projecting 2022 NEXTGEN TV sales of 4.5 million units, as the number of TV makers endorsing the hybrid over-the-air and over-the-top ATSC 3.0 technology continues to grow.

NEXTGEN TV can deliver:

• Stunning 4K, High Dynamic Range (HDR) video
  • Incredible audio in Dolby, which includes:
  • Movie theater-quality sound
  • Added voice clarity provided by Dolby’s Voice +
  • Consistent volume across channels
  • Enhanced internet content on demand

Back