How long to wait before asking guy to pick up his car?

You keep posting as if you're making free money on a car you've already sold.

As has been stated, email promises do not equal contracts...

//

Also, to be clear: He paid you for the car and you sent him the title, right? No disputes, no scams? You STILL have that money in an account???

//

Finally, the picture in the OP is of some random dude's house, IIRC. OP likes to take pictures in front of rich people's houses.

Originally Posted by wdn
You do not have a lien on the car, nor a mechanics lien either.

Ever heard of a storage lien? They got whole TV shows about that.

Originally Posted by wdn
Figure it out yourself then.

You cannot apply for a "lost title" because you no longer own the car. You are not 'entitled'. Feel free to follow up on the dumb advice from the peanut gallery about lost titles.

You cannot charge for storage because you do not have a written storage contract do you? Hmm? Well of course you don't.

Good luck getting a LE agency to impound a car that is not yours, for which you have neither a title nor a lien.

You do not have a lien on the car, nor a mechanics lien either.

It gets even easier, just leave it in a parking lot! (j/k)

OP needs to contact the owner via email or phone first. Hopefully buyer will pay the back storage fees and pay monthly moving forward. The more the storage fees add up, the more likely the buyer is to abandon it.

You are asking for advice and yet it sounds like you don't want to listen to any. I would have contacted him many months ago.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
You keep posting as if you're making free money on a car you've already sold.

As has been stated, email promises do not equal contracts...

//

Also, to be clear: He paid you for the car and you sent him the title, right? No disputes, no scams? You STILL have that money in an account???

//

Finally, the picture in the OP is of some random dude's house, IIRC. OP likes to take pictures in front of rich people's houses.

I think people here are confusing two separate actions, the sale of the car and the storage of the car. The sale has been done. Money received and title sent over 2 years ago. No disputes, no scams. Why should i have the money in any specific account? The only issue is the storage, which was agreed to as mentioned in my OP. Yes, I take pictures off all my cars in front of the million dollar homes a mile up the road from me.

Originally Posted by atikovi

I think people here are confusing two separate actions, the sale of the car and the storage of the car. The sale has been done. Money received and title sent over 2 years ago. No disputes, no scams. Why should i have the money in any specific account? The only issue is the storage, which was agreed to as mentioned in my OP. Yes, I take pictures off all my cars in front of the million dollar homes a mile up the road from me.

Right, so you want the storage fees paid before the bill gets too high and he abandons the car. Get him on a monthly payment schedule and he won't realize how much he's spent to store it!

Write him certified, if no answer have the police tow it away and the impound lot takes care of it. Bad advice to say you lost the title and get another. The money has been paid and he has the title. It's his car. He can come get the car and the storage fees are not part of it really. You would have to sue him and unless you have a written contract like a commercial storage would have you will have to go to Judge Judy. I would contact him and say get the car within some days and no storage fees and it's over with, or have it towed away.

If he never applied for the title, a run search of the VIN will probably still show you as the current legal owner.

Get a replacement title and sell it again.

Originally Posted by Linctex
If he never applied for the title, a run search of the VIN will probably still show you as the current legal owner.

Get a replacement title and sell it again.

That's shady and possibly "misappropriation of property " (or worse) if he later produces a signed title.

I believe the OP has answered his question " Just wondering how long to wait before doing anything." and stated his intentions.

If challenged, I suppose the ability to collect on the storage fees will come down to whether he has an enforceable contract. I personally would pursue the abandoned property route and resell while it still has value. Just my opinion though …

Let us know how it turns out.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
So.... Contact him? Tell him he owes you the storage fees and to come pick it up within 30 days. Otherwise, file for an abandoned title and get rid of it.

Why? If I can keep collecting $100 a month. I would be a year or two before the value would drop below the storage payments.

You aren't collecting $100 a month. You won't see that.

And why would a lawyer buy a cheap older car on eBay in another country? At this point he'll probably abandon it either way.

So, you can contact him and tell him to pay up, in that scenario I'm betting he says just keep it. So it's a win for you.

Or, contact him in a year and he says to keep it, but you wasted a year of the car sitting, which means it'll need more maintenance to sell again. And still no storage fees.

I do not think you are going to see your storage fees. I would send him an email as well as a registered letter stating that he has x-number of days before you legally consider it abandoned and re-sell.
Out of curiosity, what is the car worth?

I assume you have no insurance on that car while in your "storage" area. That could make you responsible if there is damage to it. To me, contracted storage implies insurance. More things to consider.

uh, I would have told him to come get it after about 60 days or to mail you checks for storage..

2.25 years and no storage fees collected.. its a pipe dream now.

It sounds like some kind of scam gone wrong, but at least he paid you for the car.

Originally Posted by wdn
Without a written contract you cannot collect. Email chat is not a contract any more than chatting here on a forum is.

You're obviously not a lawyer, so stop giving bad legal advice. Written terms and written agreement through any means of communication can be considered a contract with no problem. Proving intent of the seller is the name of the "winning the judgment" game, and if atikovi says "I'll store the car you just bought from me for $100 per month til you get it" and the buyer says "That'd be mighty grand of you, eh" or something similar, ANY judge will see that the intent of the buyer was to pay $100/mo and will award atikovi said judgment. Collecting on a foreign debt though.... good luck..

At least when atikovi goes to resell it, he can advertise as "low mileage" since it's been dormant for 30 months..
lol.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
OP, if your in Virginia, you needed to contact him after he was in default for 10 days. There are laws regarding storage to protect both the customer and the storage bussiness. There is a process to be followed which you didn't follow.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodepopularnames/virginia-self-service-storage-act/

Yes it's stored in VA but it's not a storage business so that link doesn't apply. If it comes to it, it is a simple abandoned vehicle on private property. I'll send him an email in a few months asking about his intentions. If no reply, a certified letter. It nothing still, pursue an abandoned car title. Should be able to get $5-6K for it.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
OP, if your in Virginia, you needed to contact him after he was in default for 10 days. There are laws regarding storage to protect both the customer and the storage bussiness. There is a process to be followed which you didn't follow.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodepopularnames/virginia-self-service-storage-act/

Yes it's stored in VA but it's not a storage business so that link doesn't apply. If it comes to it, it is a simple abandoned vehicle on private property. I'll send him an email in a few months asking about his intentions. If no reply, a certified letter. It nothing still, pursue an abandoned car title. Should be able to get $5-6K for it.

This thread has been entertaining, thanks and good luck to the OP

Back