Toyota Oem filter mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surfing the web and stumbled on to this site and I was intrigued on what it said:

Oil Specifications

The 2009 Corolla requires 4.5 quarts of 100 percent synthetic 0W-20 motor oil for maximum performance. It requires 5W-20 OE for normal performance. The oil filter typically needs to be replaced every 25,000 miles. The oil drain plug is torqued to between 27 and 29 ft-lbs.

Can the Oem filter really be good for 25k?! The manual states changing the oil every 5k

https://itstillruns.com/2009-toyota-corolla-oil-requirements-7670221.html

Yeah really. The normal interval for the oem filter is 10k. Not sure I'd want to go past that mileage on a $4 filter. At least that's what they run here.

You could probably go 25k on a Fram Ultra if you wanted to. They are rated for 20k and kind of look like new with 20k on them.

That is not a Toyota website. You can get 2009 Toyota Corolla specs from Toyota.

The oil change interval on the 2009 Corolla is 5,000 miles. It's in the owners manual.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
The normal interval for the oem filter is 10k.

2 x oil changes?

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
You could probably go 25k on a Fram Ultra if you wanted to. They are rated for 20k and kind of look like new with 20k on them.

I would agree.

The Fram Ultra has very good flow, even when heavily loaded,

and the efficiency numbers are higher than most all commonly available oil filters.

Originally Posted by wdn
... The oil change interval on the 2009 Corolla is 5,000 miles. It's in the owners manual.
At the time, Toyota's recommended interval may have assumed non-synthetic oil. For later ones with the same engine, 10k intervals are officially recommended for (synthetic 0W-20) oil and filter. However, the OE Toyota filter I ran for about 18.5k (two oil changes) in my car (which has essentially the same engine) came out looking good-as-new, except the few barely visible carbon particles it had captured.

Last edited:
The factory interval on the '09 Corolla is 5,000 miles "oil and filter". Filter gets changed at every oil change.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by wdn
... The oil change interval on the 2009 Corolla is 5,000 miles. It's in the owners manual.
At the time, Toyota's recommended interval may have assumed non-synthetic oil. For later ones with the same engine, 10k intervals are officially recommended for (synthetic 0W-20) oil and filter. However, the OE Toyota filter I ran for about 18.5k (two oil changes) in my car (which has essentially the same engine) came out looking good-as-new, except the few barely visible carbon particles it had captured.

The 2009 Corolla uses 0W20 synthetic. Again, no point going back and forth on this I have the 2009 Corolla maintenance interval manual right here. Sure car companies sometimes change their intervals different model years. I am responding to the false information on that web page listed by OP, that is about 2009 Corolla. If you want to follow your own maintenance methods on the same or different car go ahead.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/doc...a%20SMG%20123138%20Eng%201st%20Print.pdf

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by wdn

The 2009 Corolla uses 0W20 synthetic. Again, no point going back and forth on this I have the 2009 Corolla maintenance interval manual right here. Sure car companies sometimes change their intervals different model years. I am responding to the false information on that web page listed by OP, that is about 2009 Corolla. If you want to follow your own maintenance methods on the same or different car go ahead.

So just stick to my 5k synthetic oil changes then?

Originally Posted by wdn
That is not a Toyota website. You can get 2009 Toyota Corolla specs from Toyota.

The oil change interval on the 2009 Corolla is 5,000 miles. It's in the owners manual.

+1

That 25k mile info is wrong. Oil and dilter change is 5k miles. (8000km). I have gone to 6200 miles with no issue. I wouldnt exceed the interval much further. Worst case use a Fram Ultra and extend. These engines are easy on oil.

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by wdn

So just stick to my 5k synthetic oil changes then?

If most of your driving is short trips, less than 10 miles, I would change at 3K. I do this and change the Toyota OEM filter every oil change as they are so inexpensive anyways.
Personally, I would never go over 5K with any oil. As you can see, I keep my cars loooong term and that does influence my short OCI. My belief is car manufacturers have lengthened
the OCI's because they want to sell more cars. I could be wrong. I listen to agco.com podcast and they say they hardly ever did engine repairs years ago when everyone did the 3K OCI. Since we have trended towards the long OCI's they do engine repairs every week. They are convinced the repairs have increased because we have stretched out our OCI's. This makes sense to me but I have no way to prove it. They say they see it. That's all I know.

I will say this. It sure makes me more confident my cars will last when I drain the oil and it is not black as the resin in my gas grill. LOL

The OEM filter does 10K easily. My wifes van is the yzza1 and at 10K miles it is straight as an arrow and still pliable. I can it does not fall apart when inspected. Yes a $4 filter can really go the distance which is why I run them.

Your "maintenance required" light comes on solid at 5K so I would just go by that and keep life easy. Walmart oil and a $4 filter are cheap.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
The OEM filter does 10K easily. My wifes van is the yzza1 and at 10K miles it is straight as an arrow and still pliable. I can it does not fall apart when inspected. Yes a $4 filter can really go the distance which is why I run them.

Your "maintenance required" light comes on solid at 5K so I would just go by that and keep life easy. Walmart oil and a $4 filter are cheap.

So run supertech 0w20 full synthetic for 5k?

... So run supertech 0w20 full synthetic for 5k?
You're free to do whatever you like. IF the engine is sludge-free and IF you're doing mostly longer trips, the Supertech oil and a Toyota filter can both easily go 8-10k safely. Not so, if you're doing a lot of short trips in cold weather.

Toyota doubled their recommended interval to 10k in late 2009 on most models in non-severe service.

They didn't just change the oil recomendation to double the oil recomendation and there is a good reason why they kept the older models at a 5 k OCI.
One thing they did to most the new engines around 2009 and later is they increased the sump capacity, they also went to rollerized valvetrain the same time also reducing the stress on the engine oil, they also went to cartridge oil filters with these updates.
If you have a bucket tappet valve train engine with the lower oil sump capacity you can take or leave the recommendation of 0w20 back spec, I would just run the original oil recommendation (most were 5w20 or 5w30 at this time) and grade for 5 k in those engines. The bucket lifters are going to have more friction and deplete the additives in engine oil faster than rollerized valve trains, that combined with smaller sumps says stick with 5 k .there are major mechanic differences beyond the oil that allow the longer OCI to be recomended.
The back spec is mainly so that the toyota dealers could use a smaller number of fluids in the service departments.

... So run supertech 0w20 full synthetic for 5k?
You're free to do whatever you like. IF the engine is sludge-free and IF you're doing mostly longer trips, the Supertech oil and a Toyota filter can both easily go 8-10k safely. Not so, if you're doing a lot of short trips in cold weather.

Toyota doubled their recommended interval to 10k in late 2009 on most models in non-severe service.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
... If you have a bucket tappet valve train engine with the lower oil sump capacity you can take or leave the recommendation of 0w20 back spec, I would just run the original oil recommendation (most were 5w20 or 5w30 at this time) and grade for 5 k in those engines. The bucket lifters are going to have more friction and deplete the additives in engine oil faster than rollerized valve trains,...
None of which applies to Bettez88's 2ZR-FE engine.

My 2009 has the cartridge filter and on the cap it says 5w20 or 0w20. Just not sure if I should run synthetic or Dino since I'm only doing 5k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back