Rustoleum on Steel Wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I repainted my daughter's rims for her snow tires with rustoleum three years ago The paint was very soft and lasted only a year. I repainted my snow tire rims two years ago with POR 15 then a top coat. They still look new. The POR 15 was brushed on but I sprayed on a top coat.

Only on my winter/snow tire wheels which I'm not to concerned about. The color is very similar to Chrysler Argent Silver for my truck wheels. Tend to just touch up every few years.

Originally Posted by cb450sc
I repainted my daughter's rims for her snow tires with rustoleum three years ago The paint was very soft and lasted only a year. I repainted my snow tire rims two years ago with POR 15 then a top coat. They still look new. The POR 15 was brushed on but I sprayed on a top coat.

Did a quick search and it turns out they actually make brush on caliper paint in different colors! This looks like the way to go thanks for the tip POR-15 42606 Black Caliper Paint - 8 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKTTX4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ve1iEbVJ5DX2W

Originally Posted by Rand
why no spray paint.. that is the easy way?

Because I didn't want to breathe in paint fumes and mask off the tires.

I did them with some Rustoleum leather brown I had here that's years old and had a thick crust on top that I managed to cut through.
The wheels dried in a few hours and I put the hub caps back on it and it looks good. They don't look brown, they look black and must better than they did.
This should preserve them for several years. They were starting to rust in places.

Congrats. Under the silver hubcaps a dark brown would probably look fine. Often the built up brake dust looks brown anyway.

The longevity will be based upon prep and the conditions you expose them to, but something there is surely better than nothing. If anything, you might encounter some failure where the hubcaps friction fit in, but that's minimal surface area. For the cost and complexity, you can just touch up again.

If you wed to refinish your hubcaps, prep is probably a bit more straightforward, and you dns sand them more to get a bit more bite for the paint. Not sure how they would look brushed with a silver paint, but there are sprays that work and last pretty well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back