ST9688 gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

I've seen lots of round ones, never one that was triangular like that.

Should seal fine. For the same torque you get higher pressure (PSI) on the smaller lip than a wider one. On their side, I can also see this as a way to reduce the amount of rubber per seal.

Looks like a 10-15% reduction and that could add up to big bucks on a high volume market. Good value engineering in my opinion. lower cost and marginally better performance.

Just don't overtorque these or I suspect the small lip will tend to stick due to the higher pressure.

Is this what supertech recommends as a 7317 replacement? If I remember there is no ST7317 correct?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Is this what supertech recommends as a 7317 replacement? If I remember there is no ST7317 correct?

Correct. No ST7317 is available.
They recommend a 9688 for every 7317 application I've seen.

Originally Posted by Imp4

9688 is also for hyundai correct?

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by Imp4

9688 is also for hyundai correct?

For less than a dollar more, you can get a NAPA Proselect with silicone ADBV and built like OEM. I paid $3.49 for it..... #21334

No and yes. It's true there is no 7317 application the ST line however the shorty 6607 is what ST consolidates for that application. The topic 9688 is too wide for many 7317 vehicle applications now. Many newer Honda and Nissan have block, pan and/or diameter restriction rings that prevent the wider 9688/3593a from being used, screwing on. The 6607 will always mount on a 7317 application vehicle.

The 9688 is the common size for Hyun/Kia with spin on filter application, eg., 2.4L engine.

The previous ST line made by Champ, years ago, did have a 7317 application.

As an aside, the AZ STP blue filter line used to be very similar to or same as current ST line, they too had no 7317 application. Since the new manufacturer with China coo, the blue line now has now added a 7317 application.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
No and yes. It's true there is no 7317 application the ST line however the shorty 6607 is what ST consolidates for that application. The topic 9688 is too wide for many 7317 vehicle applications now. Many newer Honda and Nissan have block, pan and/or diameter restriction rings that prevent the wider 9688/3593a from being used, screwing on. The 6607 will always mount on a 7317 application vehicle.

The 9688 is the common size for Hyun/Kia with spin on filter application, eg., 2.4L engine.

The previous ST line made by Champ, years ago, did have a 7317 application.

As an aside, the AZ STP blue filter line used to be very similar to or same as current ST line, they too had no 7317 application. Since the new manufacturer with China coo, the blue line now has now added a 7317 application.

Are we talking the can is too wide or the gasket?

The reference to 9688 being too wide and restriction is in regard to the outer diameter (OD) of the 9688/3593a can.

Pic shows a comparison of the more common standard 9688/3593a baseplate and 7317 application size side by side.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Sayjac
The reference to 9688 being too wide is in regard to the outer diameter (OD) of 9688/3593a can.

Pic shows a comparison of the more common standard 9688/3593a baseplate and 7317 application size side by side.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That probably is the reason, to maintain contact diameter. The sealing pressure should be greater since the thicker rubber concentrates it's power into the narrower band. the other observation is the base plate looks like ecore without the extra metal cover. I like the look of the ST filters they are going forward it seems. Maybe because Champ has this very fat WM contract now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back