19 Ram Rebel oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that TGMO also has an almost obscene amount of moly, as well. And, from what I've read here, the cost is not too exorbitant, either.

Anybody here remember member Caterham? He invented the "Caterham blend", which was, I believe, 50/50 blend of TGMO and Mobil 1 0W-40.

Maybe find the highest moly content 0W-40 you can find, and mix 50/50 with TGMO 0W-20. You'd come out with a pretty awesome ~ 0W-30.

I haven't seen Caterham post in forever. Anybody seen a post by him lately?

Mazda had a really high 0W-20 moly oil that was even labeled as such.....for the Skyactiv engines when they first came out - lots of moly.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Only that I've read a couple Ram Owners here that are currently using it. Read it here and over on a busy Rams board.

And that's the data you rely on to give advice to the OP?

User data?......... yes! Sure beats Saber-Math Analysis Reports.
One has to know how there engine is doing in the long-run. It beats how the oil is doing short-term.

A perfect example is major league baseball, which is now filled with Saber Math gurus that declare math is the best method to build a 25-man roster and the best method to make decisions during games.

However, the MLB teams that have invested the most heavily into saber-math, are not in the World Series every year. So the oil sabermetric genius with all those college degrees is no better at telling me how to care for my engine, than I, who work side-by-side with my vehicles every day.

So the best reports on Dodge Ram engines are the owners themselves, not Blackstone or any diploma-hanging oil genius visiting here today. So if a long-time forum member Ram owner says his engine has no tick using RedLine oil early-on in the engine's life, that's a good sign that oil needs to be investigated further. The OP here wants to try it and I applaud his decision.

I have-yet to read a Ram owner telling us he used Red Line from early-engine-life and the tick still developed later-on. So when I read that someday, then perhaps I won't recommend Red Line anymore. Until then?...... absolutely Yes ..... and I hope it works long-term.

Last edited:
Instead of putting blind faith in some contrived corollary coincidence while chastising others for doing the exact same thing only with their own imaginations, here's an idea: IDENTIFY THE SOURCE OF THE TICK.

Once the culprit is known, address it (or prevent it) accordingly. There, problem solved!

I just saved everyone lots of time, effort, money, and bickering back and forth...assuming someone takes my suggestion that is...

Really people, let's get real with ourselves for a second. Unless the issue causing the noise is known, anything done to address it or prevent it from happening is at best a guess...an educated one, yes, but still just a guess.

Peace and hair grease,
Nuke

Trying 5w30 certainly won't hurt a thing and is worth a try. Should be allowable warranty wise too. I don't think it necessarily needs to be Redline though.

Any name brand synthetic at reasonable intervals is what I'd do. It'll be the same price as 5w20 too.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Look up TFL truck on YouTube to see long term review. They beat the snot out of the Rebel on Gas Truck Rotella 5w20.

I actually live within an hour of these guys and have seen that little advert they did for Shell.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Instead of putting blind faith in some contrived corollary coincidence while chastising others for doing the exact same thing only with their own imaginations, here's an idea: IDENTIFY THE SOURCE OF THE TICK.

Once the culprit is known, address it (or prevent it) accordingly. There, problem solved!

I just saved everyone lots of time, effort, money, and bickering back and forth...assuming someone takes my suggestion that is...

Really people, let's get real with ourselves for a second. Unless the issue causing the noise is known, anything done to address it or prevent it from happening is at best a guess...an educated one, yes, but still just a guess.

Peace and hair grease,
Nuke

The only way to fix it is for FCA to yank the cams and lifters out. Now, I am no expert in metallurgy and I am certainly not a petroleum engineer, but I find it rather strange that Hemi owners find that oils with higher moly content seem to add a layer of prevention to the cam wear that leads to the tick. It seems that the general consensus is to run whatever makes me sleep better at night and when the "tick" presents itself, let the warranty do its job.

So I am seeing mixed reviews in here so far, and i have to say the topics brought up are interesting so far. I appreciate each and everyone of your comments on this!

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by madeej11
You could go the QSUD route also. Easier on the wallet and good amount of moly too. Question, is this hemi tick harming the engine or is it just annoying?

QSUD has the highest moly of the 'majors'....or if it really matters either.

Don't know about any HEMI ticks...

Is there an updated list of the "majors" and the current add packs in them?

You can run through the latest UOAs and VOAs here. Since there are different forms of molybdenum one cannot assume that more is better. Keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by PimTac
You can run through the latest UOAs and VOAs here. Since there are different forms of molybdenum one cannot assume that more is better. Keep that in mind.

I was wondering about that, so I read there is a newer moly, tri nuclear I believe and it supposedly requires less to do the same as oils with higher moly content. Do we know which brands have started using this updated version of moly? Or do you have any reading content you can point me towards? I did visit the VOA section, I find it intriguing to see the results from a variety of different vehicles.

I don't know what the most recent engine to experience the issue is, but I believe FCA is using an updated lifter design at this juncture, so being concerned about it may be a non-issue. As Suby pointed out, you aren't fixing a materials selection or engineering issue with a lubricant. Of the 4x HEMI's we've owned, none of them have ticked and none of them have had Redline used in them. Oldest HEMI we owned was in a 2006 Charger.

Further anecdotes here:
At work, we have a number of RAM 1500's. They are all 2011-2012 vintage. They are serviced using whatever cheap bulk 5w-20 the guy doing the work on them uses, which is NAPA, so I believe that's Valvoline. Cheap NAPA filters. All of these trucks have well over 200,000Km (120,000 miles) on them, and all of them developed a tick... from the exhaust manifolds. Once the exhaust manifold studs were replaced, and the manifolds themselves straightened and re-installed, the sound was gone. We also have a couple newer trucks, a 2015 and a 2016, they are also quiet, but have significantly lower mileage, as should be expected.

Originally Posted by Schwifty
I was wondering about that, so I read there is a newer moly, tri nuclear I believe and it supposedly requires less to do the same as oils with higher moly content. Do we know which brands have started using this updated version of moly? Or do you have any reading content you can point me towards? I did visit the VOA section, I find it intriguing to see the results from a variety of different vehicles.

That would be hard to identify. Nothing in a VOA will tell you that, all compounds are decomposed in an ICP and you don't know anything about the chemical structure.

There was a guy who used to post about this a lot, his name is burla. I haven't seen him lately but you can search his posts.

Originally Posted by Schwifty

I was wondering about that, so I read there is a newer moly, tri nuclear I believe and it supposedly requires less to do the same as oils with higher moly content. Do we know which brands have started using this updated version of moly?

Tri-nuclear Moly adds more moly atoms per ml (volume) of additive, but when you get a VOA or UOA the plasma in the AA breaks up the molecules (tri, di or mono) and counts the number of moly atoms present, and it's the moly atoms that do the work in the engine.

So it is correct to use a VOA as a measure of moly content as it is independent of how that moly is bound to the organic part of the molecule.

You are more interested in total moly which a VOA gives. Eg 1 ml of tri-nuclear adds more moly than 1ml of di-nuclear/ mono-nuclear but that VOA process will sort this out for you and give numbers that can be compared.

personally, I would use an oil that meets the Chrysler spec MS6395,(if truck is in warrant)y. the owners manual is pretty clear on this.

if it's out of warranty it's not an issue.

and just for the record, I think the spec is BS, but it can be reason for a crappy dealer to deny coverage or claim that use of non spec oil caused damage. and then it's on you to prove that it didn't.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Only that I've read a couple Ram Owners here that are currently using it. Read it here and over on a busy Rams board.

And that's the data you rely on to give advice to the OP?

Guaranteed -- he was just TROLLING as usual.
OVERKILL nailed it right on the head -- its the exhaust manifolds -- NOT the engine.

I run RGT 5w-20 in my 2019 Laramie. 5k oil changes. Quiet and smooth. If its going to break with that, we have bigger problems

Keep what you're doing. I run Mobil 1 5W/30 in my 2016 Ram Limited and no issues. I have no tick at 63k miles. I did have the exhaust manifold leak that sounded like a hemi tick but wasn't. Enjoy your Rebel, nice truck - I love the air suspension which I also have on my truck - no truck rides smoother or has as nice of an interior than RAM trucks. I will get another Limited in 2-3 years but for now my 16 is like new and trouble free.

IV owned a few hemis and always used Schaeffer's oil (Lots of Moly B) and never had any engine tick.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I don't know what the most recent engine to experience the issue is, but I believe FCA is using an updated lifter design at this juncture, so being concerned about it may be a non-issue. As Suby pointed out, you aren't fixing a materials selection or engineering issue with a lubricant. Of the 4x HEMI's we've owned, none of them have ticked and none of them have had Redline used in them. Oldest HEMI we owned was in a 2006 Charger.

Further anecdotes here:
At work, we have a number of RAM 1500's. They are all 2011-2012 vintage. They are serviced using whatever cheap bulk 5w-20 the guy doing the work on them uses, which is NAPA, so I believe that's Valvoline. Cheap NAPA filters. All of these trucks have well over 200,000Km (120,000 miles) on them, and all of them developed a tick... from the exhaust manifolds. Once the exhaust manifold studs were replaced, and the manifolds themselves straightened and re-installed, the sound was gone. We also have a couple newer trucks, a 2015 and a 2016, they are also quiet, but have significantly lower mileage, as should be expected.

We have a winner..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back