Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
If you are eligible to open an account with servicechamp.com, it has the best prices on M1 oil filters. You need to be a registered user to obtain pricing.

Do you need a real business or can you, you know just fib?

Originally Posted by jrommelt
Thank you very much.
Is it a good thing that they are made by Champ?

Sure.... The expen$ive Royal Purple filters are made by Champ labs, also.

I believe AmsOil filters are, too.

I'm guessing that's for the longer oci they are going for now. Think the trend will be more toward flow and longer drain intervals in the future over filtration?

Many extended service oil filters can be run longer because they sacrifice filtration efficiency for better flow. Wix XP is a good example of this -- the service life is longer than the regular Wix filter but the filtration efficiency is lower. I think Purolator Boss is another good example, but not totallly sure about the efficiency vs the Purolator One filter.
A few extended service oil filters are built for long life and high efficiency filtration. Fram TG/Ultra are good examples of this.
I'm sure someone will chime in with a comment about filter capacity.
My $0.02

Originally Posted by CPA1989
OP, to answer your question, M1 filters are made by Mann+Hummel. Check this link from M1's website:

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...d-performance-oil-filter-limted-warranty

I wonder why the filters without the letter "A" are warranted only 15K miles and the oil filters with the letter "A" are warranted 20K miles?
21.gif

OP, to answer your question, M1 filters are made by Mann+Hummel. Check this link from M1's website:

That is very interesting, since every M1 filter (at least canister) is a Champ made filter, not a Purolator.
There are obvious manufacturing and parts differences between the two(base plate holes, center tube, end caps, bypass valve) that are very different and easily identifiable between Champ and Purolator.

Originally Posted by blupupher

That is very interesting, since every M1 filter (at least canister) is a Champ made filter, not a Purolator.
There are obvious manufacturing and parts differences between the two(base plate holes, center tube, end caps, bypass valve) that are very different and easily identifiable between Champ and Purolator.

I wonder if this is a recent change. I was sure they were Champ-made until I actually looked them up. Possible that new ones are repainted Puro Boss?

BlueOvalFitter...

aren't the one's with the "A" at the end the Extended Performance filters???...at least for my applications the one's without the "A" are the older design filters...

Bill

Last edited:
Mobil 1 now uses Mann+Hummel as their supplier. M+H bought out Bosch's ownership stake ad now have comolete control. More specifically their Purolator brand. M+H produces Wix, Purolator, Carquest, and Napa among others. Older M1 oil filters without the A were the Champion Labs made filters. Champ Labs filters were 99% @ 20 microns for 15K; M+H filters with the A are 99% @ 30 microns. M1's website still list a synthetic blend media which was also used in the Champ Lab made M1s.

Lots of guessing here and straight up inaccuracies...

M1 has made the switch to M&H. This happened late last year. However...all the product out there at the moment is Champ Labs product. I'd expect you'll see M&H product soon on the high volume numbers like M1-110A, etc.

The "A" suffix denotes the 20k filter. It is different from the older 15k filters in that it has a more robust gasket to help the extended drain interval. Other than that...they're the same. No one knows what the M&H filter will have yet because there have not been any on the shelf yet.

The reason for the change from Champ to M&H is ultimately unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back