Oil that won't clog the catalytic converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by khittner
Supton: Valve cover gasket?

Replaced about 3 years ago. Resealed twice since then (in the corners). This past time I noticed that it's getting hard, so it's probably time for another new gasket, but it's almost time for a new timing belt anyhow (I'm at 80k). I'll limp along until spring or summer then do TB & gasket (again).

Maybe this weekend I'll check and see if i can tighten down the valve cover some more, maybe it's just loose.

Would I know if the valve cover gasket was an issue? Would I see oil when I go to change the spark plugs?

Originally Posted by Underdawg

Would I know if the valve cover gasket was an issue? Would I see oil when I go to change the spark plugs?

Not familiar with your engine, but it's probably a 4 valve with a spark plug tube. The seals on the tubes can go bad, but then they leak into the spark plug tube and can cause misfire. Probably not your problem as the plugs would be swimming in that kind of oil loss! So no, I don't think you'd see on plug change.

You'd have to look outside of the valve cover, along the edges, on all four sides. Down the sides of the engine would be where a leak could be detected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Underdawg
Is there an oil that will result in less issues with the CAT?

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP - the ESP stands for "Emission System Protection".

Here a LINK

All three weights are API approved for both diesel and gasoline engines. I've been using the 5w40 and 5-30 for 18 mths now in two of my 150k+ mile gasoline daily drivers. I've done xOCI and UOA in both with good results. My vehicles don't use any oil and don't need any makeup oil between changes.

I battled catalyst efficiency codes on the last Toyota I owned. Even after replacing catalytic converters. What I learned was Toyota programs high catalyst efficiency thresholds. You can get a p0420 and the catalytic converter can be 70 - 90% still good. So unless you have driven with the light on for thousands of miles, you have been consuming a quart of oil every 500 miles for years, have removed the catalytic converter and cut it open, I suspect it's not clogged. And your problem with performance and catalyst efficiency is somewhere else. Check your fuel trim. Vacuum leaks, weak (front not rear) O2 sensors, dirty TB and MAF, plugs, all can contribute to a P0420.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Sounds like the engine is worn out due to excessive blow-by.

Yes and at 260,00 miles the cat was already toast.

Very Likely.... so don't "Blame the oil used"

Fix the engine so it doesn't consume oil FIRST .... then it will NOT matter what oil type you are using.

208,000 miles on my F150 (uses no oil) - cats are still working perfect

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
California owners are in for sticker shock for a legal replacement.

It's absolutely ridiculous. They are like $200 more for literally the same stupid thing, just with a EO# printed on it.

Originally Posted by dogememe

It's absolutely ridiculous. They are like $200 more for literally the same stupid thing, just with a EO# printed on it.

+ certified installation etc.....you didn't think you could just put those on anywhere did you?

Last edited:

My F150 came from the factory with Cali EPA spec cats. It had 2 cats. When It was replaced I bought the 49 state EPA spec cat (1 cat) for $200 less.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

My F150 came from the factory with Cali EPA spec cats. It had 2 cats. When It was replaced I bought the 49 state EPA spec cat (1 cat) for $200 less.

Not sure what CAT replacement requirements exist in Massachusetts. Anyone know if we are as strict as CA, NY, and ME? Is it usually the first CAT or the second CAT (in series) that goes first? Rock auto has Bosal and Walker CATs for only a few hundred.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
CA sticker shock depends on the age and car. My 01 F-150 was $250 for 1 aftermarket cat installed. Has 4 but 1 was rattling. Neighbor had a motor home with the 8.1L vortec. $6,000 to replace them. OEM was the only approved Cats.

I'm not totally sure but I think the 2-cat systems applies to Cali and NY. In my case the downstream cat came apart on the inside (rattled).

I have a 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 3.5L and have a P0420 code. I changed the O2 sensor and I knew it probably wasn't it but I tried then I tried Cataclean. No change. The Cat is dead. I did not check the pre and post temp. This stuff is not the Holy grail so if you don't have an extra $25-$30 just keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back