These the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as both these filters are built by Champion, would that mean that they are exactly the same construction?

33D79723-7DAA-485F-B241-AAEBB093D261.jpeg

07A9B371-C83C-497C-B4DB-70AC92E3B366.jpeg

Can might be the same but the insides likely are not.
Cut them open and find out. Might do it after use just to minimize waste.

Last edited:
I believe an ecore AC Delco filter will have an e on the end of the p/n.

The ST filter should be an ecore. I believe there is a p/n that isn't though and has metal end caps so you'd have to just find one and look.

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Seeing as both these filters are built by Champion, would that mean that they are exactly the same construction?

If they were, wouldn't it say it was compatible with PF46?

First issue here, using the pics equivalent application oil filters are not being compared. ST3614 not equivalent application to ACD PF46 pictured. With that in mind the ST3614 ecore uses a combo valve for bypass/adbv. The PF46 is for older GM with block bypass so has no filter integral bypass. So whether ACD an ecore or classic construction, the two not the same.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Please post cross reference showing ST3614 is the equivalent filter to PF46 shown. Linked are multple Xrefs showing they are not. Here's one for each filter shown and a Fram xref /(competitor comparison) to PF46. Also the bypass information as posted accurate says not equivalent.
Yes, you are correct. 3614 is 3/4 in. thread with approx. 10-12 lb. bypass that fits older Fords, Chryslers, etc. . PF46 is 13/16 inch thread with no bypass, pretty much GM only. They won't even screw onto the same car.

ST3614->PF53
PF46->ST3506

Yeah, thanks for that. Fairly familiar with both applications. 3614 used on Toyota Tacoma 3.4L amongst many others. And no filter integral bypass PF46, used on the GM models with block bypass. Yes, ST3506 equivalent to PF46

As for that xref showing 3614 and PF46 equivalent....

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Sayjac
First issue here, using the pics equivalent application oil filters are not being compared. ST3614 not equivalent application to ACD PF46 pictured. With that in mind the ST3614 ecore uses a combo valve for bypass/adbv. The PF46 is for older GM with block bypass so has no filter integral bypass. So whether ACD an ecore or classic construction, the two not the same.

I'd take the PRV in the can any day … my Fusion and lawn tractor both get some of those on ST can

It''s less about whether the ST uses a filter bypass or not, by rather whether the application specs one. In the case of older GM, the bypass is in block making filter application unneeded like PF46. In the ST 3614 applications, not the case, filter bypass required and used.

If given the choice between a combo valve and separate bypass/adbv, I prefer the latter. Apparently GM sees it similarly, as for newer vehicle GM ACDelco ecores have separate poppet type bypass, no combo valve. But that OT.

Whoops my mistake, I was just using those as a comparison. I'm talking more about the quality of the media etc.

Oops. I figured they were the same in terms of application. I assumed it was a question about the construction since they were 2 different brands technically.

You know what they say about assuming..

How About this:

"Seeing as both these PF46E and ST3506 filters are built by Champion, would that mean that they are exactly the same construction?

That should get us pretty close.....

And my guess would be "VERY similar inside"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back