Seeing more FL820s failures... suggestions for other filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using nothing but MC FL820s filters on every Ford panther chassis I've owned, but among CVN, BITOG and other platforms, it seems like the tearing media problem is persisting or worsening...

What are some of the local favorites in regards to alternatives for the venerable 2v 4.6? Considering the Napa Gold or Bosch? Opinions welcome!

Napa Gold. See if your local stores have the biannual filter sales, and stock up then for around $4/filter. Bosch is just rebranded Purolator and they don't make the D+ anymore, which was really the only good Bosch anyways.

Marco, the dates float some, depending on location. My 4 local stores never match by more than a day or two for any given sale, so I get ~3 weeks to buy cheap Golds, depending on how far I want to drive for them. Two of them also have Fall sales. YMMV

I went with a Tough Guard in lieu of the FL820S that I had always used. Ultras have a good reputation on here but I don't run long enough OCIs to take advantage of the Ultras extended life.

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
I went with a Tough Guard in lieu of the FL820S that I had always used. Ultras have a good reputation on here but I don't run long enough OCIs to take advantage of the Ultras extended life.

- but, but, what about the extra filtering efficiency!?

Originally Posted by tundraotto

My poor engine
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by tundraotto

TG and XG efficiency is basically the same. Using an XG over a TG would probably be for other reasons beside efficiency difference.

I'm with you and won't use any 820's because of sloppy construction.I picked up several Fram Tough guards reduced at W.M. last year. I have been pleased with them in my Ford 4.6 and no start up rattle either.

Last edited:
Had no idea the crown vic/ town car was called the panther chassis. Very interesting.

If you've been using the 820s this whole time, the Fram Extra Guard is an excellent replacement. WIX works too if you want to spend the extra money.

Or you can be like me and use an Ultra for multiple oil changes, as long as your engine is clean, I just changed 6 quarts of Magnatec yesterday at 7500 miles, leaving the Ultra on for at least another 7500.

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
but among CVN, BITOG and other platforms, it seems like the tearing media problem is persisting or worsening...

But of course, you believe everything you read on the internet?

Been using nothing but MC FL820s filters on every Ford panther chassis I've owned, but among CVN, BITOG and other platforms, it seems like the tearing media problem is persisting or worsening...

What are some of the local favorites in regards to alternatives for the venerable 2v 4.6? Considering the Napa Gold or Bosch? Opinions welcome!

Fram Ultra?

Originally Posted by JLTD

Fram Ultra?
Only bad thing about the XG2 Ultra is that they seem to be hard to find cheap, the eBay 6 packs aren't available often. I used the Affinia & Champ CQ Blue ones for a while, but I started having startup noise if it sat for more than a couple days (ADBV leakage). I have had ZERO issues with the Ultra, and barring rust or road debris damage I an going to run THREE 7500 mile OCIs on the XG2 that's on there now, I'll cut & post it in another 15K.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Or you can be like me and use an Ultra for multiple oil changes, as long as your engine is clean, I just changed 6 quarts of Magnatec yesterday at 7500 miles, leaving the Ultra on for at least another 7500.

I'm debating on doing that with my wife's fit but apparently you can run the Oem filter for two 7,500 oci. Not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back