19 Ram Rebel oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Very long time lurker here. I finally decided to join up and ask a few questions. I purchased a new Ram Rebel and did my ritual of pulling out the factory oil at 1k and I switched it with Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 and a Fram Ultra filter. I'm about to hit 5k and I was wondering about swapping over to Redline 5w30 to prevent the dreaded issue with Hemi tick and the cam wear they have been notorious for lately. So, my questions is, swap to Redline or stick with Gas truck? The cost is not an issue for me, but I do what whats best for my truck. I tend to drive it hard in the mountains, and it will see a fair amount of offroad time crawling around forest service roads in all weather conditions. Currently the truck sees about 80% straight highway with very little stop and go. But ones spring hits it will be probably offroad every weekend. I don't tow but the bed is normally loaded with quite a bit of gear, wood, and camping and hunting equipment.

Won't hurt to try. If you don't see significant improvement then go back to $20 5qt jugs of Mobile 1 or whatever name brand oil you like.

Nevermind, I didn't realize you said "prevent". I thought you were hearing it already. I'll let the more seasoned members chime in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Won't hurt to try. If you don't see significant improvement then go back to $20 5qt jugs of Mobile 1 or whatever name brand oil you like.

Nevermind, I didn't realize you said "prevent". I thought you were hearing it already. I'll let the more seasoned members chime in.

Yeah, doing this as cheap insurance. I don't mind paying for a premium oil if that is what it takes. It seems a lot of the hemi crowd likes the high moly contents of the Redline oils.

Originally Posted by Schwifty
Hey all,

Very long time lurker here. I finally decided to join up and ask a few questions. I purchased a new Ram Rebel and did my ritual of pulling out the factory oil at 1k and I switched it with Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 and a Fram Ultra filter. I'm about to hit 5k and I was wondering about swapping over to Redline 5w30 to prevent the dreaded issue with Hemi tick and the cam wear they have been notorious for lately. So, my questions is, swap to Redline or stick with Gas truck? The cost is not an issue for me, but I do what whats best for my truck. I tend to drive it hard in the mountains, and it will see a fair amount of offroad time crawling around forest service roads in all weather conditions. Currently the truck sees about 80% straight highway with very little stop and go. But ones spring hits it will be probably offroad every weekend. I don't tow but the bed is normally loaded with quite a bit of gear, wood, and camping and hunting equipment.

Do you have a tick? If no, keep using the RGT 5W-20. It is the required grade for your engine, and it carries the recommended approval (MS 6395). If you do have a tick, take it to your dealership - you're likely under warranty. The way I see it, there are two types of ticks: the ones that wear the cam lobes, and the ones "succesfully killed by Redline". For the latter, just keep using RGT. No need to bend out of shape over anecdotal "evidence".

2018 Ram owner here. Tried RL 5W-30, all I got was a parasitic drag due to the high viscosity and the conviction that Chrysler engineers know their business better than I do. CAFE notwidthstanding.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Hey all,

Do you have a tick? If no, keep using the RGT 5W-20. It is the required grade for your engine, and it carries the recommended approval (MS 6395). If you do have a tick, take it to your dealership - you're likely under warranty. The way I see it, there are two types of ticks: the ones that wear the cam lobes, and the ones "succesfully killed by Redline". For the latter, just keep using RGT. No need to bend out of shape over anecdotal "evidence".

2018 Ram owner here. Tried RL 5W-30, all I got was a parasitic drag due to the high viscosity and the conviction that Chrysler engineers know their business better than I do. CAFE notwidthstanding.

Interesting response. I can appreciate that! Ok, what if I wanted to switch to Redline just for the better add pack? Is having higher counts in Moly, Zinc, Calcium and Phosphorous worth it in the long run? I'm just now getting back into n/a v-8s after spending a decade daily driving high HP turbo imports, one of which thrived on very high moly oils. I guess I am asking, for this Hemi, is the juice worth the squeeze, even if I stayed with a 5w20.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Hey all,

Interesting response. I can appreciate that! Ok, what if I wanted to switch to Redline just for the better add pack? Is having higher counts in Moly, Zinc, Calcium and Phosphorous worth it in the long run? I'm just now getting back into n/a v-8s after spending a decade daily driving high HP turbo imports, one of which thrived on very high moly oils. I guess I am asking, for this Hemi, is the juice worth the squeeze, even if I stayed with a 5w20.

kschachn in 3...2...1

lol.gif

Hey all,

Welcome to BITOG
Since money isn't an issue and you want to avoid the tick prior to it's occurrence, then switch to Red Line and stick with it.
Excellent choice and it's great to read from a Ram owner that wants to avoid the eventual, dreaded tick right now - not after the tick starts.

OP, since you've been lurking, you've probably seen it here before... NO oil, regardless of its additives, can "fix" an engineering or manufacturing problem. Search the board for something like "Hemi SADI camshaft". That being said, in its HP Hemis they use PUP 0W40 from the factory, so that would be as robust a choice as any...

For my Grand Cherokee Hemi, I'm sticking with PYB 5W-20 and OE filter at 6,000 mile intervals. Oil life monitor should be at about 40%. Did an early change at 1,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Hey all,

Welcome to BITOG
Since money isn't an issue and you want to avoid the tick prior to it's occurrence, then switch to Red Line and stick with it.
Excellent choice and it's great to read from a Ram owner that wants to avoid the eventual, dreaded tick right now - not after the tick starts.

Do you have any data to back up the statement that Redline kills the tick? Or, are you just trolling as usual?

Subie
OP hasn't a problem to fix. The tick has not developed yet and he's trying to avoid it. I have read a Ram BITOG member or two here, that's gone this exact route when the vehicle is still new and the engine remains silent using Redline.

OilReports
Where did I say it kills the tick? I recommended Red Line to the OP, to avoid the tick.

Please, learn how to read replies here.

Sorry, My bad!

Do you have any data to back up the statement that Redline is good to avoid the tick?

Only that I've read a couple Ram Owners here that are currently using it. Read it here and over on a busy Rams board.

And that's the data you rely on to give advice to the OP?

Subie
OP hasn't a problem to fix. The tick has not developed yet and he's trying to avoid it. I have read a Ram BITOG member or two here, that's gone this exact route when the vehicle is still new and the engine remains silent using Redline.

Oil cannot "fix" an engineering blunder or manufacturing defect. It may prolong that engine's life, but it will never be a "fix". And if it were my brand new truck, I sure as heck would want an engineering blunder to fail under warranty, rather than 10k or 1 year outside of it, because then all that Redline did was drive your cost of ownership thru the roof for nothing. That's why in this case, like many others, use the cheapest oil that meets the specifications and offload it just before warranty expires.

See the threads on newer BMWs for clarification.

Oh the 30 minute SHELL commercial? Rotella Gas truck, Rotella Diesel oil, Top tier Shell fuel from Shell on the Shell cards.....

You could go the QSUD route also. Easier on the wallet and good amount of moly too. Question, is this hemi tick harming the engine or is it just annoying?

Originally Posted by madeej11
You could go the QSUD route also. Easier on the wallet and good amount of moly too. Question, is this hemi tick harming the engine or is it just annoying?

QSUD has the highest moly of the 'majors'....or if it really matters either.

Don't know about any HEMI ticks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back