Kirkland Signature 0W-20 any good?

Hi all, Could any of you chime in on this oil? Is it Above average, below or just average. Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 79
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Yep, fire up the search function and you shall have all your answers. It's already been discussed about 6 times in the past two weeks.

I dont find much on the 0/20.

So I take it that you dont know. Because you could have replied to the question with less words than your [censored] reply. But thanks for nothing.

The certifications tells you it is above average as it is a very modern certification. It is above average if SJ rated oil is your average.

It's dexos 1 Generation 2 rated, so its as suitable as any other oil labeled as such.

+1; the D1G2 is really all you need to know.

Originally Posted by CB22
Yep, fire up the search function and you shall have all your answers. It's already been discussed about 6 times in the past two weeks.

So I take it that you dont know. Because you could have replied to the question with less words than your [censored] reply. But thanks for nothing.

It's very new so not many people have used it. It is the same (or very close) as Supertech, Mag1, Amazon Basics brand oil. Made by the same company.

I used the 0w20 in a 2015 Altima 4 banger with 130K.
All good. Use it with confidence.
I just ordered some 5w30 earlier today.

It meets the standards for 0w20. You cannot derive quality from a analysis sheet like that.

You sound familiar

It has been pointed out here several times that if when you make a post and one or more of your words come up as [censored} you need to go back and change those word(s) to one that is not censored.

And why the anger? SubieRubyRoo is generally correct in that the brand has been discussed here quite a bit lately. If the grade is appropriate for your vehicle then it will perform much the same as another grade. Specifications and licenses are what matter anyway, since it is API SN PLUS and dexos 1 Gen 2 licensed it is a good oil. Is SN or SN PLUS what you need?

I don't have to know anything about it, and neither do you. That's the beauty of certifications, especially manufacturer ones. If it's Dexos certified, it's statistically similar enough that you will never be able to prove anything against the Dexos specification. Using Kirkland at $20/5qt vs one that uses a $60/5qt Dexos oil will never result in a statistically different outcome.If you want to argue this fact any further, feel free to call GM directly since it's their spec and licensing system. Thousands of UOAs on Dexos oils fall into such a small statistical window that it's obvious they knew what they were doing as far as the oil is concerned.

In other words, if your vehicle requires Dexos 1, buy the cheapest certified oil that carries a valid cert, and your engine will never know the difference. Is that smart enough for you? Prove me wrong.

I don't have to know anything about it, and neither do you. That's the beauty of certifications, especially manufacturer ones. If it's Dexos certified, it's statistically similar enough that you will never be able to prove anything against the Dexos specification. Using Kirkland at $20/5qt vs one that uses a $60/5qt Dexos oil will never result in a statistically different outcome.If you want to argue this fact any further, feel free to call GM directly since it's their spec and licensing system. Thousands of UOAs on Dexos oils fall into such a small statistical window that it's obvious they knew what they were doing as far as the oil is concerned.

In other words, if your vehicle requires Dexos 1, buy the cheapest certified oil that carries a valid cert, and your engine will never know the difference. Is that smart enough for you? Prove me wrong.

This is one thing I will just never understand. Really smart people come up with the oil specifications. Really smart people formulate their oils to meet these specifications. The vehicle manufacturer tells you what specs the oil needs to meet and how often to change it. The oil manufacturers tell you what spec their oil meets. It's not brain surgery. You don't need to think past that.

Mobil1 costs much less when on sale at Walmart and there is a rebate. I've always paid a little over $2 per quart. Mobil1 also has great oil filters. I'm a Costco member and I won't but their oil.

That's what I'm doing myisland, waiting for the Mobil-1 rebate promo this April.
Kirkland Oil is for members here that need or want the extra pocketbook savings. I did the same when I was younger with a few young kids.

Originally Posted by myisland
Mobil1 costs much less when on sale at Walmart and there is a rebate. I've always paid a little over $2 per quart. Mobil1 also has great oil filters. I'm a Costco member and I won't but their oil.

Emotions aren't proof. Marketing works!

Reactions: lji
Hi all, Could any of you chime in on this oil? Is it Above average, below or just average. Thanks!

[Linked Image]
I bought our Honda Fit new in 2013. I changed the oil every 4 to 5,000 miles using Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W20 or Pennzoil Platinum 0W20. Every time I changed the oil, I regretted making the change as early and often as I did because the oil was still more golden brown than black. My wife and I joined Costco late in 2021 and, during a trip there a few months ago, I saw the Kirkland "full synthetic" 0W20 -- a box of two 5-quart jugs for around $40. A good price for full synthetic with all the certifications, so I bought it and used it for the next change on the Fit. Not even two months after the change, with fewer than 2,000 miles driven, the Fit registered the b13 code with a check engine light. The first time it's ever done that. I checked the oil and it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. The bolt was torqued and fastened with no leakage anywhere. I changed the oil and this Kirkland stuff came out looking pitch black. The lesson I learned from this incident is that certifications and approvals can't always be the final say when it comes to the quality of an oil. My real world experience convinced me that this stuff is junk. It evaporates quicker than any oil I've ever used and it simply doesn't last. I think the data sheet posted by the OP affirms this with its relatively low TBN number and relatively high Noack number. I do not recommend it at all.

I bought two six quart cases last year, so I will be using it for my next two oil changes. Certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

Currently running it in our 2020 Pilot , 2000 miles on it .
No noticeable difference from the dealer bulk 0W-20 that's supposedly Mobil 0W-20 .

I've run three intervals of the Costco 0W20 in a Chevy Blazer 2.5 liter (LCV) to under 10% life remaining (about 6000 miles). No consumption and it seems to work.

Back