The Motul Oil Line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by STIcandy
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by Navi
Here in the USA most guys would grab Mobil 1 5W30 and be done.

Not this guy. And I would say, most drivers that do their own OC - the ones you described in your post - care to read the manual.

Not this guy either, sorry I'd personally run Motul oil before Mobil 1 any day of the week

^^^This. Even in Canada I buy a 5L jug @ $45 cash. [censored] QSUD at Canadian Tire is $65 reg price!

I guess what I meant to say is that I run what the manual requires or recommends - brand be [censored].

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'd agree that it's a boutique oil in the US. Doesn't matter if it's Walmart-style oil in Europe either. Looking at their website, the only places I can buy it "locally" is a shop that specializes in German cars and the next closest is called "Just BMW". Price-wise, it ain't terrible.... I see a 5-liter jug on Amazon for just $34. You can pay that much for Castrol, Valvoline, etc at O'Reilly (when not on sale).

Of the 8 oils posted, 7 were approved by Mercedes Benz. I can see the German car connection.
laugh.gif

Funny they haven't hit the more recent BMW LL specs....

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by OilReport99
Flame 🔥 suit on.....‚

Does the suit have a Toyota Logo on it?
thumbsup2.gif

At one point it was, i put over 300k on my Camry before i sold the engine and tranny off. Now I'm a Kia guy pushing 200k miles...all I've ever used was the appropriate API/ILSAC lube called for in the owners manual.

11.gif

....you'd think the avg age of a vehicle on the road in N. America would be lower than Europe but that's not the case. Last I checked it was something like 12'ish years for N.A. and 9'ish for Euro's - so what gives? Seems to me that either the Europeans make crappy cars or all those certs don't mean diddly squat or both?

One factor might be stricter vehicle inspections in many European countries and vehicles might need non-engine related repairs and owners choose not to repair.

Just re-read your post and you say vehicle life of only 12 years ? That can't be right, is it ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
....you'd think the avg age of a vehicle on the road in N. America would be lower than Europe but that's not the case. Last I checked it was something like 12'ish years for N.A. and 9'ish for Euro's - so what gives? Seems to me that either the Europeans make crappy cars or all those certs don't mean diddly squat or both?

One factor might be stricter vehicle inspections in many European countries and vehicles might need non-engine related repairs and owners choose not to repair.

Just re-read your post and you say vehicle life of only 12 years ? That can't be right, is it ?

Inspections could be reason as they are much, much tougher. It is actually not possible to compare it.
But, many European countries have higher standard of living too.

It has a big following in Australia for track and drag/street cars of all kinds, most start with Penrite and if they think they need better Motul is the next level up. Works very well with other fuels as well e85, methanol etc. Redline is hard to get in Oz and costs a fortune, no one stocks lucas plus we don't have Amsoil.

Gulf Competition Oils are ester based and well respected in Europe - i dont know if you guys are aware of it? But if redline or motul are hard to get the gulf may be a suitable alternative

I use the XCess 5w40 in my 2013 Audi S4 every 5K miles. Been eyeing the switch to XClean 5w40. I prefer it over Mobil 1, the price is reasonable. I know Audi was factory filling with the Castrol Edge OE Professional for my car, but should Motul no longer be available, I'd rather Use Castrol 0w40 out of preference. I'll look to get a UOA to share. Didn't really care for it before, but now I'm intrigued. Will take another 4000 miles though
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by avi1777
used the 300v in my sti and one of my bikes,its a bullet proof oil,now using the 8100 eco lite in my cx5.

Any UOA on the 300V in the sti? I've been considering that switch for mine as well.

used the 300v in my sti and one of my bikes,its a bullet proof oil,now using the 8100 eco lite in my cx5.

Any UOA on the 300V in the sti? I've been considering that switch for mine as well.

sorry I didnt do an oua but u can trust this oil with your eyes closed,its a super staout oil.well recommended for modified engines but for relatively short intervals keep in mind it's a racing oil.

X-Clean EFE Midsaps Has some European OEM approvals. Basically this is the thickest possible 5W30 out there. Looks targeted to Europe. C3

Wonder if it's thicker than Pennzoil Euro L 5w30?

Originally Posted by c5z06
X-Clean EFE Midsaps Has some European OEM approvals. Basically this is the thickest possible 5W30 out there. Looks targeted to Europe. C3

Wonder if it's thicker than Pennzoil Euro L 5w30?

Lates Euro L pds has it at 13cst. That is actually W40 oil then.
But then Pennzoil and accuracy of pds cannot go into same sentence.

sorry I didnt do an oua but u can trust this oil with your eyes closed,its a super staout oil.well recommended for modified engines but for relatively short intervals keep in mind it's a racing oil.

Yeah thats my only issue. Right now I use the xcess 5w-40 but due tolow mileage <5,000kms per year I only change it in the spring. I'll look farther into it.

Great write up, went through it all. Looking forward to the VOAs and UOAs to come. Thanks in advance.

Used 5w30 x clean in my 370z, summer car only, racked up 4200 kilometres on the oil. Car was fine with it. The X community loves Motul, my wallet not so much.

Great write up, went through it all. Looking forward to the VOAs and UOAs to come. Thanks in advance.

Used 5w30 x clean in my 370z, summer car only, racked up 4200 kilometres on the oil. Car was fine with it. The X community loves Motul, my wallet not so much.

I run motul oils exclusively and buy them by the case. The cars love them and they run very quietly. I'm just getting into UOA's now so it'll be interesting what comes out of that. The ones that I have used are:

Xcess 5w-40 - This was my introduction to Motul. I bought it specifically for use in my stage 2+ tuned 2015 STI. Lots of track use, never let me down yet. Oil temps are very good, Oil pressure stays very consistent right to oil change although I've never gone over 5k kms on it. Very robust TBN at 8.8 and a CST of 13.1 puts it at pretty much dead center viscosity for a 5w-40. Usually change this once a year unless it is tracked as it's a weekend driver.

Xclean EFE 5w-30- I use this I'm my 2006 Pontiac vibe DD and my wifes 2013 Hyundai Santa fe XL 3.3L. Neither of them have burned a drop. The Santa fe is on a 6000km/6month OCI and the vibe I run to 10k kms usually takes me about 4 months. I just changed it in December and when it hits 10K this time I'm going to pull an oil sample through the stick for analysis. Depending on results I'll run it out another 5k and retest. Probably change it around this time. I can't fined a UOA on this one. So I'll be sending in a VOA in the next week. As per the Motul literature TBN sits at 7.8 and the cSt is a 12.1 putting this one at the boarder of a light 40 weight oil.

Motul ecolite 0w-20- Use this in my cousin's 2019 Subaru crosstrek with 56k kms on it. At 1500kms per week I'm changing it every 8 weeks around the 10-12k kms mark. Doesn't use a drop. Oil analysis will be done in the coming year in an effort to push out the OCI on that one after the warranty has expired. I expect to be closer to the 15-20k kms OCI with this one as it's a highway driver exclusively. Will post results when I do. This one has a TBN of 6.2 and a cSt of 8.61

In November I changed the Santa fe to the XCESS 5w-40 to Address a timing chain rattle at idle. I found after the fact that it wasn't really the best choice for the GDI because of its higher calcium rating @ 2447. I'm debating right now what my next move is on that one. I'd like to run it to the spring and take a sample to send off for analysis to see what the insolubles and "dreaded" fuel dilutions are. If it's OK, I might just string it out another 5k. I won't be putting that one back in. Looks like the xclean 5w-40 is much lower in calcium so I'll either try that or go back to the EFE.

From what I've found, looks like xclean is being phased out for the xclean efe 5w-30. Xclean+ will probably stick around as it is the only one in their lineup that carries the
VW 507 approval for the 09+ TDI common rail systems that I've found. I haven't seen anything in my travels by Motul that covers BMW past the LL04 specs.

Watch for my VO/UOAS coming soon!

got my cx5 with mc blend,changed to magnatec and the engine became quieter changed to motul eco lite and now the idle is super sillent.it just feels like better oil,smoother quieter u name it it's like the engine is more composed plus its 15/20% cheaper than castrol,valvoline and over50% cheaper than m1 so it's a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back