Interesting Taillight Out Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gebo
It's a 192 bulb per Lexus parts mgr
A 192 is a 192 is a 192. It doesn't really matter where you buy it. I don't think that the bulb you replaced is the problem. IMO it is a build-up of resistance in one of the other light bulb circuits. A bad ground will also cause this problem.

Well, problem solved. I replaced the bulb I purchased from Amazon with the bulb I purchased from Lexus (79 cents) and the code is gone. I had already used
atikovi's recommended spray but it didn't fix this particular problem. It did work wonders on my garage door opener light bulb sockets. Thank you kind sir!

Parts Mgr just grinned when I told him my predicament yesterday. He said it happens all the time as the replacement bulb will work but it throws that code.

I just wish my dealer wasn't 1 1/2 hours away.

At least I got to go to Cold Stone and listen to a bunch of "The Automotive Hour" Podcasts. I love those guys.

At least my trouble code is gone.

Well, that didn't last long. Left rear brake light burned out. Same dash code. Went to NAPA and got a Wagner bulb and all is well, I think???

I'm gonna start a new thread.

Well, problem solved. I replaced the bulb I purchased from Amazon with the bulb I purchased from Lexus (79 cents) and the code is gone. I had already used
atikovi's recommended spray but it didn't fix this particular problem. It did work wonders on my garage door opener light bulb sockets. Thank you kind sir!

Parts Mgr just grinned when I told him my predicament yesterday. He said it happens all the time as the replacement bulb will work but it throws that code.

I just wish my dealer wasn't 1 1/2 hours away.

At least I got to go to Cold Stone and listen to a bunch of "The Automotive Hour" Podcasts. I love those guys.

At least my trouble code is gone.
Well, that didn't last long. Left rear brake light burned out. Same dash code. Went to NAPA and got a Wagner bulb and all is well, I think???

I'm gonna start a new thread.
Interesting. I wonder if the brake light bulb was on the verge of burning out and causing the dash code that you "thought" you fixed by replacing the generic 192 with a "Lexus" 192. A incandescent light bulb filament's resistance will change (increase) over time, and increase dramatically when it is on the verge of burning out. The blackish coating you see on the inside of the glass in older light bulbs is a deposit caused by burned-off filament materials. The Lexus system is obviously sensitive enough to see very slight increases in resistance (Mercedes' system is like that). If you reinstalled the generic 192 now, I would be curious to know if the dash code comes back.
You might want to consider replacing ALL of the light bulbs given the fact that you had two of them burn out within such a short time frame and they are all the same age.

Last edited:
I would experiment if trash had not been picked up. I threw both the generic 192's away Wednesday. I started another thread concerning my issues. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back