New Mobil "Full Synthetic" at AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been endless posts on these things whereas the modern engine posts probably fell short. I no longer consider what happened inside a Ford modular as empirical evidence of how far you can push an oil in new engine designs ...And have mentioned several changes between my 2010 and 2017 ‘same' engine and I'm still learning of more

Originally Posted by buster
The larger companies like XOM/Shell/Castrol have the R & D and testing resources to develop their own formulations. Complete certified additive packages are intended generally for small companies that lack these capabilities. However, the major companies may also go this way for specialty products or product line "fillers" that lack sufficient market share to justify the expense. The additive suppliers have a relationship with the major formulators. XOM/Shell jointly own Infineum, so they have some advantages. The large major brands do most of their own development work on their flagship oils in house, for example Mobil 1, but will work with additive suppliers as well.

If you can develop a less expensive way to meet a spec, it's going to make its way into that product. No one is in business to lose money. That goes for any company.

Sounds like Warren Distribution. Without the cost of sponsorships and advertising.

But pay more for base oil ...

Figure out what that means

You are not considering fuel is in the mix in sponsoring

Last edited:
Buy using as much cheap XOM base oil as they can get away with and still make D1.2 ... then put the magic S word on the bottle ...

That's why I think the new Mobil Pegasus oil is their own 2nd entry into the charade parade

Originally Posted by 4WD
Buy using as much cheap XOM base oil as they can get away with and still make D1.2 ... then put the magic S word on the bottle ...

That's why I think the new Mobil Pegasus oil is their own 2nd entry into the charade parade

Makes perfect sense, that's exactly the market Mobil targets with their Group II+, indicating it can replace some or all Group III in many applications, reducing the cost while still meeting the necessary performance specs.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
No go for me. Mobil 1 is $2 less at walmart for a Jug. I think they have too many products in the mix. Ugly label too.

The deals at AAP or AZ aren't off-the-shelf, (although at $21.99 STP full syn isn't bad in a pinch) they happen when they bundle a filter with 5 qts. of oil, preferably when a nice rebate is in effect. I assume this will be offered with a mid-tier filter for about $22.99-$24-99. I'm guessing the rebate on Mobil Synthetic will be either $7 or $10...

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 4WD

Makes perfect sense, that's exactly the market Mobil targets with their Group II+, indicating it can replace some or all Group III in many applications, reducing the cost while still meeting the necessary performance specs.

I doubt there is much Group II+ in it, and VISOM is Group III+ isn't it? And EM using GTL now really muddles things a bit. The pour points alone indicate this isn't just swill...

Originally Posted by 4WD

Agree.

I don't like the three tiers (or more with all the Mobil 1's) of synthetic being offered, it's confusing and unnecessary. Can anyone tell definitely if there is much difference between this that Super Syn as far as base oil? is the add pack different?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Originally Posted by 4WD

I doubt there is much Group II+ in it, and VISOM is Group III+ isn't it? And EM using GTL now really muddles things a bit. The pour points alone indicate this isn't just swill...

I'm talking about the Warren product. Mobil is a base oil supplier for basically everybody. What I mentioned are their key selling points for their Group II+ product.

EDIT: the screen shots that buster provided above is exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I don't like the three tiers (or more with all the Mobil 1's) of synthetic being offered, it's confusing and unnecessary. Can anyone tell definitely if there is much difference between this that Super Syn as far as base oil? is the add pack different?

Mobil 1 is now a "brand" of synthetic motor oils where previously it was just a single brand of synthetic oil. There are tiers - good, better, best and they are different in base oil composition. I don't like it either but it is what it is.....

Originally Posted by 4WD

I'm talking about the Warren product. Mobil is a base oil supplier for basically everybody. What I mentioned are their key selling points for their Group II+ product.

I see. Thank you for the charts...

There is a difference in the Mobil 1 formulas. In our dad's 2006 Tundra, he has me change the oil on it, and we have run different Mobil 1 oils in it over the last few years. Then, we tried the Annual Protection. Normally, I change the oil around 6-7 thousand miles. This is his work truck, uses it for work, towing sometimes hauling loads. I am used to what the oil looks like and smells like at the oil change. When it came to changing the Annual Protection, he went on a road trip so by the time I worked on it, it over 8,000 miles on the oil.
I was surprised and impressed. The oil was not as dark as the other changes and did not have as strong of a used oil smell as well.
When Mobil says they boasted the antioxidants and formulated the AP to go up to 20,000 miles, I believe them. It looks like it was holding up well in our dad's truck. No, I did not do a UOA, but, I have been changing the oil on this truck since it was new, and AP came out of the engine looking and smelling better than all the other oils we have used, and it had the most miles too.

Originally Posted by buster
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thicker EHC is going into Delvac … and XOM's own private label oils like drums of CAT oil.
As I have mentioned 3 global plant upgrades … the new process equipment will be the most efficient and reliable

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
What exactly is EHC base stock? They're inferring it's not group 3. Is it Pao,Visom,ester?

https://www.exxonmobil.com/en/basestocks/products/group-ii-base-stocks

Originally Posted by Mobil
EHCâ„¢ base stocks are part of a global Group II slate as defined within API/ATIEL guidelines for formulation and qualification of automotive and engine oil lubricants. With base oil interchange and viscosity grade read-across capabilities, EHC base stocks offer broad coverage that enables supply chain flexibility and simplified qualification testing requirements.

EHC base stocks may also be used in industrial and other applications where formulations benefit from increased oxidation stability and higher viscosity index (VI). Our rigorous processes ensure reliable delivery of consistent quality base stocks.

It's a group II+ base stock. EHC stands for Enhanced Hydro Cracked I believe.

Yes - Group II+ better than many Group III in performance.

This can be gathered from data...

Now is Group II+ really an official 'group' anything? - or just something made up by Exxon-Mobil - don't know...

I have mentioned many times XOM did major upgrades in Asia, Europe, and Texas coast to produce EHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back