Road Rage, Then vs Now

Rather than [censored] bent maniacs, we get the truly clueless and unskilled drivers. Thy don't have a sniff about the rules of the road or driving efficiently with others. Honking doesn't help, they don't have any idea what they're doing wrong. These days I just get away from them ASAP.

Originally Posted by Trav
Hand brakes were made for tailgaters, nuff said.

Engine brake + hand brake is what I do for people who have no reason tailgating me (me being in the right lane on a 6-lane highway with no traffic + doing 5mph over.)

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by gathermewool
With all of this said, I'll be the first to admit that I've made mistakes. I once raced my buddy's Sable with my little Toyota 1.5L deathtrap as a teen and ended up in a snow drift. I once took my STI to its actual limits and almost ended up dead; luckily, the STI and summer tires were better than me and saved my life when I went beyond MY personal limits. I learned a lot from my mistakes along the way, but I feel as if there are many people on the road who have never learned their lesson or continue to drive like maniacs, regardless of however many close calls they might have been through.

Maybe a better thread title would have been: driving like an idiot: have you learned your lesson?

Oh, lol, yah. If you haven't actually spun a sports car, are you really driving? Or just commuting. For sure learnt when I was a kid with an Lt1 fbody. Torque teaches lessons.

Haha, for sure! The STI being AWD with the LSD's, it was tough to rotate even during a winter driving course I took with lots of snow on the ground.

Originally Posted by Pew

Engine brake + hand brake is what I do for people who have no reason tailgating me (me being in the right lane on a 6-lane highway with no traffic + doing 5mph over.)

I havd literally coasted down to walking speed, on a near empty four-lane interstate, with one of those fools still stuck to my rear bumper. It would be more funny if it wasn't so dangerous!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
I havd literally coasted down to walking speed, on a near empty four-lane interstate, with one of those fools still stuck to my rear bumper. It would be more funny if it wasn't so dangerous!
lol.gif

What lane were you in?

Originally Posted by Pew

This is probably my biggest pet-peeve while I'm driving calmly and slowly. GO AROUND ME!

A close second are those who come up on my tail in the right lane doing 10+ MPH faster than me as if they had no idea I was going the speed I was going. I then see them in my rear-view frantically looking over their shoulder to see if they can get over. I'm lucky if these dolts actually slow down, instead of nearly scraping my bumper as they pass me. This happens often, even if there's no one in the left lane for miles!

I drive at a speed I'm comfortable with. If tail gated, I move over if possible. Not worth a confrontation where I have to shoot some idiot and then wind up defending myself in court.

If on one of our sportbikes, or in the sportscar, the wifes SUV, or the gt coupe, often others want to play games like taunting to race, or other bonehead maneuvers. I have no interest in engaging people I don't know. I either ignore them, pull over and let them go on their way, or put some distance between me and them, depending on what is the most appropriate course of action for the situation.

As has been alluded to a few times, I would never camp-out in the left lane of a highway, impeding the flow of traffic. There are laws against doing that in most States.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
lol.gif

What lane were you in?

The correct lane. I mean, the right lane.
I was driving a 1979 Chevrolet C10 with a rebuilt 355, three on the tree, and my Honda CM400 strapped down in the bed.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Pew

This is probably my biggest pet-peeve while I'm driving calmly and slowly. GO AROUND ME!

A close second are those who come up on my tail in the right lane doing 10+ MPH faster than me as if they had no idea I was going the speed I was going. I then see them in my rear-view frantically looking over their shoulder to see if they can get over. I'm lucky if these dolts actually slow down, instead of nearly scraping my bumper as they pass me. This happens often, even if there's no one in the left lane for miles!

Oh, and then they cut right back in front of you and get off at the exit. This is a daily thing for me. I need to install my dashcam.

Originally Posted by Inspecktor
I am a lot more relaxed now that I don't feel the need to defend my turf, speed or drive like a sphincter.. A side benefit is I have not been pulled over by the police for many years.

Yep, run your own race and let others do the same.
On your daily commute you often come to recognize the very aggressive drivers and you just let them go on their way.
On my commute, I have two drivers of slowish cars who are always very aggressive, one a black Spark and the other a CRV wearing the vanity plate "Ms Monique".
I let the two tailgaters go on their way.
My Hybrid can easily out-accelerate either, but I'm not too worried about it.
When I was young and dumb I drove much more aggressively, but these days I don't care to.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by Inspecktor
I am a lot more relaxed now that I don't feel the need to defend my turf, speed or drive like a sphincter.. A side benefit is I have not been pulled over by the police for many years.

Yep, run your own race and let others do the same.
On your daily commute you often come to recognize the very aggressive drivers and you just let them go on their way.
On my commute, I have two drivers of slowish cars who are always very aggressive, one a black Spark and the other a CRV wearing the vanity plate "Ms Monique".
I let the two tailgaters go on their way.
My Hybrid can easily out-accelerate either, but I'm not too worried about it.
When I was young and dumb I drove much more aggressively, but these days I don't care to.

Keep in mind also as you age and gain importance, you may have less need to hurry.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 4WD
I have one of those in my pick up … but around here you'd have to be able to stop a .40 incoming to think it's self defense

I wish the .40 fad would just go away, lol!

Why? It is an excellent, proven round.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 4WD
I have one of those in my pick up … but around here you'd have to be able to stop a .40 incoming to think it's self defense

I wish the .40 fad would just go away, lol!

Why? It is an excellent, proven round.

It just doesn't really answer the mail. More cost, recoil, etc. than 9mm for no real return.

Originally Posted by Pew

I just ease off the gas, gradually slowing down until they have to go around.

Alot of rage is happening with people in general.

The difference is, the people that have the rage can't back it up. I've straightened them out very quickly, that's all I will say.

Originally Posted by biggusblockus
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
A good technique to back off people from tailgating is to run your windshield washers for about 20 seconds. The mist goes right on the person behind you and their focus comes off tailgaiting you and they back off

I used to prefer throwing change out my sunroof. Now that I am older and more mature I don't to that anymore.

A guardrail nut or a pound of roofing nails works better than change.

Back