OEM F150 battery finally giving up after 9 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
The F150 starting flashing " system off to save battery" when I would turn the key off this morning. The battery tested OK earlier this fall but it is the factory motorcraft battery. 9 years on the OEM was pretty good IMO. Was going to replace with another motorcraft but saw JCI/Clarios has been having issues and some with the motorcrafts leaking by the posts.

Just purchased a Duracell Gold (EastPenn/Deka) with 3 year warranty and free installation for ~$97 and a $10 MIR for total cost of $87. Not bad at all for a group 65 battery that is not JCI or Exide. Purchased from Batteries + Bulbs. They have a 20% off online code right now plus MIR.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Where did you purchase from? That's Costco/Walmart pricing right there.

Ah yes, forgot that. I went back and edited it.

I would have assumed batteries there were overpriced. $97 for a deka is pretty good.

My wife's Motorcraft started leaking like that, only lasted 3 years.
15.gif

I would have assumed batteries there were overpriced. $97 for a deka is pretty good.

And that 97 was after tax, pretty good imo. Thats $10 cheaper than Sams and don't have to mess with a core charge and return.

Originally Posted by John_K
My wife's Motorcraft started leaking like that, only lasted 3 years.
15.gif

Our 2012 focus's OEM battery did it. Had to replace last fall due to cracked battery casing around the post. Granted it was 6 years old but definitely could have last a lot longer if that didn't happen.

OP, wow you have me wondering if I should have checked the local Batteries + before I bought the Deca 800 CCA group 78 from NAPA last week for $173.33 out the door total including a core charge because I was returning the 2 month old Interstate group 78 that failed, to the local starter/ alternator / car AC shop that I bought it from for a refund. I told them that I did not want another Interstate, it was the 3rd one that failed in way too short of a time. They gave me back $143.00 and said they can not refund tax or installation charge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by volk06

And that 97 was after tax, pretty good imo. Thats $10 cheaper than Sams and don't have to mess with a core charge and return.

So they don't require you return the old battery for $15 off?

Well yes but if you have them put the battery in, they don't charge you for the core because they keep it when they put the new one in it. If you do a pick up only they charge you core until you bring the other one back.

Well yes but if you have them put the battery in, they don't charge you for the core because they keep it when they put the new one in it. If you do a pick up only they charge you core until you bring the other one back.

I have you beat but only slightly. Black Friday Champion AGM at PepBoys 35% off and $50 Visa rebate. All said and done, I'll have an AGM for $90.

I have never had Batteries + Bulbs install a battery for me.
I always buy online for the discount and pick it up.

I always bring them a core (usually the nastiest, oldest battery I have around!) when I make the pick-up.

Nine years is great for a OEM battery in my experience you can plan on about five. The Factory Panasonic in my car made it about three and a half years before replacement.

Just an update.

I electronically submitted the $10 rebate and I received it a week ago. ~3 week turn around time for the rebate.

Very pleased so far. Guess I will update and see how long this deka Duracell Gold lasts. Warranty is 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back