Nissan Titan any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by buster
In the full size market, the Titan would not be on my list. I'd go with the big 3 as well as Toyota and Honda.

I really want to like the Ridgeline but TB, VCM and trans programming that won't let me lock into 1st (or lock out gears in general) bug me too much. Otherwise I think it'd make a fine... what would you call it? Half size truck? LOL. No, I think it meets needs for many people, but it meets mine, outside of a few quirks that I don't like. Kinda niche but nothing wrong with that. Maybe mpg: it seems like it should do better than what it does, but I do know it'd fit better into my garage than my full sized truck would (or I should say, doesn't).

Not sure about the Titan but every other Nissan product I have any experience with has been trash.

If I was to buy a new half ton truck today it would be an f-150. And I'm a total gm fanboy.

I've spend the last week in snowy places vs where I live. Where I live there are lots of Teslas and BMWs. Here are a lot of trucks. Tons of Ram, GM, and Ford. I can't recall seeing a single Titan. And I love trucks, so I'm paying attention. I have seen some Frontiers, but not many.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
In the full size market, the Titan would not be on my list. I'd go with the big 3 as well as Toyota and Honda.

I really want to like the Ridgeline but TB, VCM and trans programming that won't let me lock into 1st (or lock out gears in general) bug me too much. Otherwise I think it'd make a fine... what would you call it? Half size truck? LOL. No, I think it meets needs for many people, but it meets mine, outside of a few quirks that I don't like. Kinda niche but nothing wrong with that. Maybe mpg: it seems like it should do better than what it does, but I do know it'd fit better into my garage than my full sized truck would (or I should say, doesn't).

I like the Honda a lot for day to day driving. And I love that it has a great AWD system. I think you can deactivate the VCM. The MPG is great on the Honda.

The Titan is mediocre. If the price is right then it can be a good deal and do all you need it to. It should be cheaper than other trucks. I'd much rather have a 05-07 GMT 800 truck than a mid 2000s Titan but it really comes down to what you can find on sale in good condition in your area.

I didn't want to get into this aspect:

- on my current Chev, part of keeping it was because it happened to be built in my home town of Oshawa ON, personally I won't go out of my way for a mexican built vehicle.
- the current Chev came oe with 3:42 gearing- what a pos, changed to 4:10 then finally 3:73 which in my view improved towing but the overall driving experience- does not need to downshift at all for hills.
- I am no stranger to ecu tuning, also have a 2015 Honda Accord which was tuned for better economy as the Honda tends to run richer, emissions aren't a concern here. If the Nissan ecu is tuneable perhaps consumption can be improved in areas.
- the Ridgeline is an Accord with a box.

Originally Posted by dfarr67
Not sure if this is the right venue or not for this question.

Starting to look for a used truck, new pricing is outlandish and frankly the styling is ***** for most full size trucks- except for the Ford F150....except....it's a Ford;)

Not much interested in the big three and Toyota is 40% higher than the Nissan. 30 years ago I think Nissan was competitive with Honda/Toyota- but I think their quality has fallen off- but is it still a decent make or stay away.

Looking at 2015 ish year as I like this gen style as the latest gen joined the rest in fuglyness, although the 5.6L V8 seems to be improved. So how are the drivetrain and bodies holding out- electrical issues?

In the past it was a fairly easy choice of Chevy for me- but looking around, 5 years and the boxes are rusting out around here- did I say *****?

Thanks

Is this going to be an extra vehicle just to do truck stuff, or is it going to be a daily driver? I think the Titan (if you can get it for cheap) would be great to have around for truck stuff. For a daily driver I would be looking for something a bit nicer (I ended up with an F-150).

Accord is a good DD for wifey, I walk to work- so truck stuff. Accord doesn't handle 4x8 sheets of ply very well
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dareo
The Titan is mediocre. If the price is right then it can be a good deal and do all you need it to. It should be cheaper than other trucks. I'd much rather have a 05-07 GMT 800 truck than a mid 2000s Titan but it really comes down to what you can find on sale in good condition in your area.

Have you ever driven a Titan?

I like the Honda a lot for day to day driving. And I love that it has a great AWD system. I think you can deactivate the VCM. The MPG is great on the Honda.

Love my Honda - best day to day vehicle I think Ive ever owned, fantastic AWD system.

Love my titan - Ive driven everything and have been in anything yet that really beats it except for the latest 6.2, and the 3.5 ecoboost.

For day to day full size truck that are empty, w nothing on the hitch are terrible

UD

IMG_6024.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg

Last edited:
How did you determine the metal is thin ?

I think that Nissan is the worst looking truck in history … don't agree with you there

You came here fishing … did not hear what you wanted … mind made up.

Last edited:
Not long at all for aluminum to corrode. Ford has been using aluminum hoods for years and they have a horrible reputation. We have a big fleet of Ford and Chevy trucks and vans and almost all of them have issues. Some start peeling writhing 2-3 years. Take off the Ford blinders. Not saying they make a bad product just saying it's an issue and may make you crazy if you care.

Last edited:
With regard to painting aluminum, aircraft have been painted for decades and aren't peeling. I think you're proffering a strawman argument.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

Love my Honda - best day to day vehicle I think Ive ever owned, fantastic AWD system.

Love my titan - Ive driven everything and have been in anything yet that really beats it except for the latest 6.2, and the 3.5 ecoboost.

For day to day full size truck that are empty, w nothing on the hitch are terrible

UD

Nice.
cheers3.gif

Agree with you … add aluminum boats to that and even plenty in saltwater

I have a half dozen friends/family with this era F150 … BiL has first year and it park's outdoors … looks brand new.

Personally I like GM's mixed panels where swinging panels are aluminum and fixed panels are steel.

The million mile DMax still looked pretty good all things considered

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD

He pulled out his 600 dollar ultrasonic checker and took readings, right?

If the goal is to do truck stuff, look into a basic trim work truck for around 20k

That's effectively a whole different market from the overpriced cowboy Cadillac thing. All business, and a price to reflect that.

You get a heck of a lot for your money. Mine has depreciated $13k in 8 years. Still going strong. At ac radio cloth seats. For $800 I'll roll up my own windows.

If you really and truly need 4x4 by all means pay the premium. You'll get it back on the other side of the transaction.

No weird paint issues, but I give the finish good care.

For truck stuff - moving stuff around stuff in the bed - nobodies bed has as good of a rail system as the titan even today - which had that first.

The reason its still and always was respected is its engine is a gem - the only DOHC 32 Valve all aluminum truck engine out there tuned to put it out down low.

DO a little surfing and compare long term ownership trouble

The cam chain system is FAR less troublesome than what fords got going on.
The valve train gives FAR less trouble than the chevy AFM and the two valves mills tendency to kill guides and rockers under sustained towing.
The Hemi valvetrain is proven to be trouble in cars and trucks as well.

Ive yet to meet a titan owner with a worn out engine - at the boat shop I see clapped out fords and chevies constantly at 10 years.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave
For truck stuff - moving stuff around stuff in the bed - nobodies bed has as good of a rail system as the titan even today - which had that first.

The reason its still and always was respected is its engine is a gem - the only DOHC 32 Valve all aluminum truck engine out there tuned to put it out down low.

DO a little surfing and compare long term ownership trouble

The cam chain system is FAR less troublesome than what fords got going on.
The valve train gives FAR less trouble than the chevy AFM and the two valves mills tendency to kill guides and rockers under sustained towing.
The Hemi valvetrain is proven to be trouble in cars and trucks as well.

Ive yet to meet a titan owner with a worn out engine - at the boat shop I see clapped out fords and chevies constantly at 10 years.

UD

If it's the same rail system in the Frontier, it is very useful. I've been using my truck quite a bit the last month hauling furniture around and I've had to tie it to the cleats. The bed in my truck is small though so I'm limited but it's certainly been useful lately.

Sometimes simple is better and in a truck, I want simple and reliable.

There is no shortage of good trucks on the market. So many to choose from and so many configurations. Really comes down to what you need. If I wasn't doing the off-roading, I'd love to have a Ridgeline. My intent though was to keep my truck only for about 3 years, then I'll likely move back into something more fuel efficient and something with an AWD system.

Growing up my family was always pro Ford. My grandfather had numerous F-150's and Broncos. That was 80's/90's. They had their fair share of issues though.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Originally Posted by 4WD

He pulled out his 600 dollar ultrasonic checker and took readings, right?

Naw- just my $0 elbow instrument, when servicing the highway lights on the work truck, leaned on the roof- roof bowed in and popped out like an oil drum. Did I mention premature box rot above the wheel well.

Does that pass muster for you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back