New GM engine oil, use it or void your warranty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JOD
That's a pretty significant obfuscation of what the article actually says:

"Further, GM says that if a customer has an engine failure that is traced to oil or lubrication issues, and if the customer does not use dexos 1 oil in their gasoline-powered GM vehicle, that act alone could void the warranty"

I don't know of a single auto manufacturer who doesn't have similar verbiage.

This is just looking for something to be mad about, IMO...

Good reason for GM to get sued...

OK, we don't like this idea.
Unless GM has exceedingly fantastic engines -the most powerful and fuel efficient engines in the world - they shouldn't mandate non standard oils.

On the other hand...

If we made cars, I'll bet we could design an oil that would be best for them. Maybe there would be others that are OK, but we would spec a known good one -the best fit. And it would seem like the smart thing to do, overall.

Everyone is missing the point, or making a point to ignore it, that dexos1 is superior oil. Superior to GF-5. GM's oil life monitors will be reprogrammed for this superior oil. If a car owner follows the new OLM with conventional oil, he'll be running that oil too long.

Has anyone calculated whether the oil & filter cost per mile will be lower running dexos1 oil its full life as determined by the OLM compared to a conventional oil cost per mile and previous OLMs? That's what needs to be calculated.

The biggest crybabies about dexos1 are the quickie-lube owners. They feel that the car makers owe them a living, and they do not know how they'll charge what dexos1 oil will cost and still convince the car owners to get that oil changed every 3k.

Took a look at the new Chevy Cruse yesterday. It had the 1.4L turbo engine. On the sticker under engine source: "Austria".So the taxpayers save GM to save american jobs and the new turbo 1.4L is sourced from Europe! Oh well ?? FWIW--Oldtommy

i'm sure GM won't actually enforce warranty denials for use of oils that meet dexos but haven't been licensed

first of all, since when does using just about any oil out there cause your engine to fail? it's such an outlier

Could we be seeing the begining of the end of API specs as a standard?
DB, BMW and VW have long had their own specs, as do GM and Ford in Europe.
GM, Ford and Chrysler have current US specs, that are pretty easily met.
GM is still a huge volume domestic producer.
Could it be that the auto makers will at some point team up and create a broad specification that effectively obviates API's specs?
It may be that GM looked around and found that neither SM nor SN were adequate for all of its engines, if the OLM is observed, as GM intends it to be.
It may be that other makers will be encouraged to do the same.

I bought a 2011 Aveo in 2010. The car is soon to be 10 years old, and here is my experience. Chevy dealer I bought it from told me several times when I bought it to use DEXOS only oil or warranty would be voided.

My dealer provided free oil changes as part of a promo for the first two years I owned the car, after that I've been doing my own oil changes. So, for the past 7+ years I've been changing my own oil with conventional spec Walmart oil for super cheap. I buy Supertech conventional oil (not synthetic) and I change it at about a 5k interval give or take.

Just want to report to anyone interested, the car is a decade old, I drive a lot and recently rolled over 400,000km (that's over 260,000 miles for Americans reading) just within the past month. Engine runs fine. Its got some other issues, but oil and the engine aren't one of them.

DEXOS as a requirement is a scam. Its a way for GM to make money by demanding royalties from oil companies and to encourage drivers to pay more for oil changes than necessary. These synthetics cost $80 a pop at most shops here in Ontario (that's Canadian, I'm not sure the price in the US), and for me to go to Walmart and get a low cost conventional oil and filter its barely $25. You do the math, I do 5 changes a year and I'm saving hundreds of dollars a year.

So there is no need to be afraid. If DEXOS were really required, the engine would have blown by now. I don't even use synthetic, I use conventional same spec and change it regularly. Regular changing is more important than any other factor as long as its the same spec.

FURTHERMORE, there are federal laws that prohibit manufacturers from voiding warranties for not using their oil branding. The dealer and manufacturer might try and refuse warranty work, but all you do is call a lawyer and they'll bend your way before you even have to file suit. Trust me.

Originally Posted by MrGoodwrench
I bought a 2011 Aveo in 2010. The car is soon to be 10 years old, and here is my experience. Chevy dealer I bought it from told me several times when I bought it to use DEXOS only oil or warranty would be voided.

My dealer provided free oil changes as part of a promo for the first two years I owned the car, after that I've been doing my own oil changes. So, for the past 7+ years I've been changing my own oil with conventional spec Walmart oil for super cheap. I buy Supertech conventional oil (not synthetic) and I change it at about a 5k interval give or take.

Just want to report to anyone interested, the car is a decade old, I drive a lot and recently rolled over 400,000km (that's over 260,000 miles for Americans reading) just within the past month. Engine runs fine. Its got some other issues, but oil and the engine aren't one of them.

DEXOS as a requirement is a scam. Its a way for GM to make money by demanding royalties from oil companies and to encourage drivers to pay more for oil changes than necessary. These synthetics cost $80 a pop at most shops here in Ontario (that's Canadian, I'm not sure the price in the US), and for me to go to Walmart and get a low cost conventional oil and filter its barely $25. You do the math, I do 5 changes a year and I'm saving hundreds of dollars a year.

So there is no need to be afraid. If DEXOS were really required, the engine would have blown by now. I don't even use synthetic, I use conventional same spec and change it regularly. Regular changing is more important than any other factor as long as its the same spec.

FURTHERMORE, there are federal laws that prohibit manufacturers from voiding warranties for not using their oil branding. The dealer and manufacturer might try and refuse warranty work, but all you do is call a lawyer and they'll bend your way before you even have to file suit. Trust me.

Did you ever ask the dealer for written proof that Dexos was a requirement and additional written proof that if Dexos was not used, then the warranty would be denied?

Why didn't you make the dealer show you paperwork on his statements? Does the 2011 Aveo Owners Manual backup the dealer's statement?

If a topic interests you, start one.

Replying to a 9 year old topic is a waste of everybody's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back