Recent Topics
Fluid Film + Cayenne Pepper
by pitzel - 02/24/20 05:22 PM
Ford Focus RS Oil Advice!
by fastsvo - 02/24/20 04:23 PM
Cleanest wheels on same axle or same side of car?
by atikovi - 02/24/20 04:13 PM
Mixing 2 stroke oils
by Hirev - 02/24/20 03:57 PM
Insa Turbo Ecosaver Plus
by faramir9 - 02/24/20 03:45 PM
Repair Rusted Rocker Panels Without Welding
by Fitz98 - 02/24/20 03:33 PM
Stalwart tools
by P10crew - 02/24/20 03:32 PM
VOA Eneos Racing Street 0w-50
by zip15 - 02/24/20 03:09 PM
What is your favorite Candy Bar?
by ZZman - 02/24/20 02:27 PM
Help me understand
by 1978elcamino - 02/24/20 02:25 PM
2019 VW Passat Trip Mileage
by Boomer - 02/24/20 01:13 PM
Changed my ATF, difference is crazy!
by cwilliamsws6 - 02/24/20 12:36 PM
Specs on Conventional Oils 4 Comparing
by Perseus - 02/24/20 12:32 PM
Ford Edge owners chime in
by grampi - 02/24/20 11:49 AM
Pepboys Clearance oil SCORE!!
by Artem - 02/24/20 11:45 AM
Selling Vehicle CL / FB asking price
by madRiver - 02/24/20 11:24 AM
Cheapest place to get VOA with TBN?
by jayjr1105 - 02/24/20 11:18 AM
Newest Members
Boris_Be, NHR, zip15, PeterNST, SkinnRS
70796 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (01rangerxl, 762fermeandyou, 53' Stude, 2015_PSD, 69GTX, 390pi, 13 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,888
Posts5,204,609
Members70,796
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after #5325086 01/17/20 09:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
T
TDOHGL01 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
6yrs of Winters and 33,380 miles of wear and tear and without Undercoating added it has whatever they might of done at the factory on it for undercoating. I am planning on doing some undercoating on it this spring hopefully whether I'll pay somebody to do it or do it my self is up for debate. I will be using Fluid Film, POR 15 or something similar to those and will not use anything that is rubberized or tar based because that will only make it rust quicker and here is the video of the undercarriage:


"The Mountain Might Get Me but The Law Never Will"
2013 Honda Fit with 32720Miles!
Re: My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after [Re: TDOHGL01] #5325100 01/17/20 09:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,452
L
Leo99 Offline
Offline
L
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,452
Sounds messy. I'd pay someone to spray.


Next time film in landscape mode.

Last edited by Leo99; 01/17/20 09:36 AM.

Without data you're just another person with an opinion. W. E. Deming

2003 Corolla 250,000 miles (RIP)
2004 Corolla 125,000 miles
2004 Rav4 392,000 miles
2015 Camry 90,000 miles
Re: My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after [Re: Donald] #5325147 01/17/20 10:09 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
T
TDOHGL01 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by TDOHGL01
6yrs of Winters and 33,380 miles of wear and tear and without Undercoating added it has whatever they might of done at the factory on it for undercoating. I am planning on doing some undercoating on it this spring hopefully whether I'll pay somebody to do it or do it my self is up for debate. I will be using Fluid Film, POR 15 or something similar to those and will not use anything that is rubberized or tar based because that will only make it rust quicker and here is the video of the undercarriage:


Please put it on a lift and retake the video.

No I won't!


"The Mountain Might Get Me but The Law Never Will"
2013 Honda Fit with 32720Miles!
Re: My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after [Re: TDOHGL01] #5325156 01/17/20 10:18 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,510
J
jeepman3071 Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,510
My mom's 2011 Fit just passed 85,000 miles. It is stored in a garage, and she works in a school so it hasn't seen too much road salt since school is usually closed on really snowy days. The undercarriage is decent on it with the exception of one of the heat shields for the cat converter rusting off.

The biggest issue seems to be the paint, it is super thin and there are numerous rock chips on the hood that are starting to rust.


1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L/5MT (156k) - PHM 10w30, Wix 51085
2009 BMW 328i N51 (58k) - Liqui Moly 5w40, MANN HU816X
Re: My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after [Re: TDOHGL01] #5325159 01/17/20 10:21 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,297
K
KrisZ Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,297
It doesn't look too bad actually for a six year old vehicle, although the mileage is low for this age.

I would not worry about the control arms or links, these will need replacing due to worn out bushings or ball joints way before the rust compromises them. But the front and rear cross members should be liberally oil sprayed, as well as the rest of the undercarriage.

However, before you start spraying the undercarriage, I suggest you concentrate on inside of doors, rocker panels, rear liftgate, radiator support, and other hard to reach areas and cavities. Also, take off the wheel well liners and plastic under cover.

Once you sprayed those hard to reach areas, spray the undercarriage. This way stuff will not be dripping on you. Well, it still will, but not as much as if you were spray it first and then treat the cavities.

Last edited by KrisZ; 01/17/20 10:22 AM.

2015 Grand Caravan 3.6L - 35k miles.
2006 Mazda 3 2.0L - 186k miles
Re: My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after [Re: KrisZ] #5325168 01/17/20 10:31 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
T
TDOHGL01 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
My mom's 2011 Fit just passed 85,000 miles. It is stored in a garage, and she works in a school so it hasn't seen too much road salt since school is usually closed on really snowy days. The undercarriage is decent on it with the exception of one of the heat shields for the cat converter rusting off.

The biggest issue seems to be the paint, it is super thin and there are numerous rock chips on the hood that are starting to rust.


I don't drive a lot at all during the winter or the summer and it's only driving back and forth to work or my Grand parents house with the longest drive being to my Grandparents camp in Bancroft, Maine

Originally Posted by KrisZ
It doesn't look too bad actually for a six year old vehicle, although the mileage is low for this age.

I would not worry about the control arms or links, these will need replacing due to worn out bushings or ball joints way before the rust compromises them. But the front and rear cross members should be liberally oil sprayed, as well as the rest of the undercarriage.

However, before you start spraying the undercarriage, I suggest you concentrate on inside of doors, rocker panels, rear liftgate, radiator support, and other hard to reach areas and cavities. Also, take off the wheel well liners and plastic under cover.

Once you sprayed those hard to reach areas, spray the undercarriage. This way stuff will not be dripping on you. Well, it still will, but not as much as if you were spray it first and then treat the cavities.
Yeah Mine will probably wear due to age not mileage (at least the rubber parts anyways), They'll probably dry rot away. I appreciate both of your answers.


"The Mountain Might Get Me but The Law Never Will"
2013 Honda Fit with 32720Miles!
Re: My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after [Re: TDOHGL01] #5325169 01/17/20 10:31 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,490
S
supton Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,490
In general, I've noticed that anything painted body color has pretty decent corrosion protection--it's dipped or whatever just like the rest of the car. It's anything painted chassis black which seems to be just about not treated at all, and prone to rusting away, and anything that isn't black is all the quicker. But hitting the floorpan even just once really slows down rust in areas that don't get a lot of wash; anything that gets a lot of water from the road will just have FF washed off in quick order.

Something I noticed is that bolts will rust anyhow, even with FF. FF isn't getting behind them and into cavities. I removed a tow hook to install a tow hitch, and the bolt would not go back in until I chased it. Looked fine on the outside.

On my truck I've tried real hard to keep it coated. Frame looks great. Snapped a leaf spring anyhow; there's some speculation that spraying it with FF may have contributed to its early demise. Shop said they had to cut at least one bolt off, rust had gotten into a bushing. So much for FF preventing problems.

I'm left wondering if it's worth spraying any more. It only slows down the inevitable.


2011 Toyota Camry, base, 2.5L/6MT, 201k, hers
2010 Toyota Tundra DC, 4.6L/6AT, 157k, ours
1999 Toyota Camry LE, 2.2L/4AT, 223k, his
Re: My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after [Re: supton] #5325281 01/17/20 12:29 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,510
J
jeepman3071 Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,510
Originally Posted by supton

On my truck I've tried real hard to keep it coated. Frame looks great. Snapped a leaf spring anyhow; there's some speculation that spraying it with FF may have contributed to its early demise. Shop said they had to cut at least one bolt off, rust had gotten into a bushing. So much for FF preventing problems.

I'm left wondering if it's worth spraying any more. It only slows down the inevitable.


Is the spring issue common on the Tundra? I know my buddy's 08 Tacoma has a recall for leaf springs breaking.

Like you said, Fluid Film won't stop rust but it will slow it down for sure, which I still think is worth it to get the most life out of a car in the salt belt.


1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L/5MT (156k) - PHM 10w30, Wix 51085
2009 BMW 328i N51 (58k) - Liqui Moly 5w40, MANN HU816X
Re: My 2013 Honda Fit Undercarriage after [Re: jeepman3071] #5325289 01/17/20 12:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,490
S
supton Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,490
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Is the spring issue common on the Tundra? I know my buddy's 08 Tacoma has a recall for leaf springs breaking.

I think the Taco's had springs that would go flat. Maybe some break, dunno. Tundra's, I'm not so sure. I think they mostly break. Maybe not as widespread as Taco spring issues, but then again, Tundra sales are much lower.

Quote
Like you said, Fluid Film won't stop rust but it will slow it down for sure, which I still think is worth it to get the most life out of a car in the salt belt.

Yeah, true that. I just didn't get to it this year, and after having problems anyhow I'm a bit jaded.


2011 Toyota Camry, base, 2.5L/6MT, 201k, hers
2010 Toyota Tundra DC, 4.6L/6AT, 157k, ours
1999 Toyota Camry LE, 2.2L/4AT, 223k, his
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™