Dry Gas in exteme cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if other board members bother with using dey gas in extreme cold weather. I personally do not but wonder if it's a thing.

The cashier at the parts store tried to upsell me some dry gas a couple of years ago. I said "No thanks, the gasoline is already almost 10% dry gas". He smirked and said "Yup, okay."
13.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
I don't anymore. Fuel has enough alcohol in it already.

Yep not really needed anymore, 10% ethanol and all, unless you made an enemy.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I'm wondering if other board members bother with using dey gas in extreme cold weather. I personally do not but wonder if it's a thing.

If you are using E10 fuel there is no need and you do not want to get over 10% as your engine was not designed for more than 10%. But most times its not really 10%, more like 7% so while adding dry gas will not help it will not hurt either.

But the quickmart store sell it and their gas is E10.

The pumps around here say "up to" 10% ethanol. I have found at times they sell pure gas. This was back a couple years ago when gas prices hit a low.

I still have an old can of dry gas from the 60s or 70s with a bottle cap lid. The contents are methanol..

The other factor is fuel pumps. In the old days you had mechanical fuel pumps on the engine that could only pull a vacuum to get gas from the tank to the pump. Now you have 60 psi electric pumps sitting back in the tank.

E10 gas doesn't need it.

Plus most places sell Methanol DG which is a fuel system killer.
If It doesnt say Isopropanol dont go near it,

We use DG for home made soda pop can camping stoves though
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

That is cool! How do you construct the can? Is hole size critical? What do you use to make consistent holes? Drill bit?

What is dry gas? I just try to use E0 when it gets below 0f. A little E10 mixed in there here n there too for moisture.

I don't. Personally I am often running my fuel tank down to near E, thus it's always getting filled up with fresh gas. And E10 has "dry gas" in it.

But I'm not sure where it'd get moisture from in the first place. The fuel system is very tightly closed.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Now you have 60 psi electric pumps sitting back in the tank.

These also add a small amount of heat to the fuel.

That is cool! How do you construct the can? Is hole size critical? What do you use to make consistent holes? Drill bit?

Just do a search for " aluminum can alcohol stove "

It might be able to lower the freezing point if there's any water in there. I don't think it's just about the dispersal of water in an E10 solution, but that something like isopropanol will lower the freezing point of the mixture even further. The freezing point of isopropanol is higher than ethanol, but I thought that some mixtures tended to freeze at lower temperatures.

Originally Posted by dadto2
The cashier at the parts store tried to upsell me some dry gas a couple of years ago. I said "No thanks, the gasoline is already almost 10% dry gas". He smirked and said "Yup, okay."
13.gif

Quit making the parts guy look dumb lol. I must have got the same guy as he told me STP oil was what all the racecar drivers use. Told me my Redline was nothing special.

I'm using Casey's E0 but I know a tiny bit of e10 gets in as the two grades share same pump. I bet that e15/e85 does not do well in the cold weather.

Most of the liquor stores have the mini Budweiser cans. It's like 8 ounces. I'd try one of them.

Originally Posted by Marco620
I'm using Casey's E0 but I know a tiny bit of e10 gets in as the two grades share same pump. I bet that e15/e85 does not do well in the cold weather.

Absolutely 0 issues running E15 in a vehicle that said no more than E10, regardless of outside temps. As for e85, they generally lower the actual ethanol percentage in winter months. Our van ran exactly the same on it as it did with regular gas.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Plus most places sell Methanol DG which is a fuel system killer.
If It doesnt say Isopropanol dont go near it.

How is methanol a fuel system killer? When developing E10 I believe they were considering methanol as the additive.

I think much of the fear comes from a bad experience when the OEM's did not adjust quickly … and even then more issues on the marine side or OPE (the two I have experienced)
I have a smaller skiff these days and only used maybe 5 times a year … so I spurge for E0 that's a buck more than regular but is also 92 octane and the motor runs great. I just add Techron Marine multi purpose …

Yamaha had issues with hoses … My dealer tossed their hoses for a couple years and used Evinrude hose until he was satisfied his make started to source the same hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back