Road Rage, Then vs Now

My tried and true method of dealing with tailgaters is and always has been a lot of washer fluid. That's the extent of my road rage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
I had a road rage incident in my early thirties and decided it was stupid.

Got so mad a BMW on highway cut in front of me crossing two lanes with very little space(not much), I drove to close somewhat purposely and then they slammed brakes. We contacted/bumped I drove off as he proceeded to do the same thing to the right lane. Never looked back.

Wake up call I never drove like that again. Nothing came of it.

Plenty clowns drive like that on Houston freeways/toll roads in between rush hour traffic
(oxymoron wrt morons)
I'll see them again 2 mins later since the safely blending in concept is lost on them.
(hopefully with a LEO parked behind them lights flashing)

Originally Posted by 4WD
I have one of those in my pick up … but around here you'd have to be able to stop a .40 incoming to think it's self defense

I wish the .40 fad would just go away, lol!

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
In my Mustang I never really drove fast or aggressive on any regular basis, in fact I drove slower than the speed limit on the interstate. The most fun I had with that car besides the acceleration rush was messing with people. Usually these were people who were trying to cut in line, speed excessively, weave in and out of traffic, etc.

My favorite memory was a guy riding a Harley Davidson on the interstate around midnight. Dude was hauling and I was in the left lane slowly passing an 18 wheeler. As soon as I passed I moved over and the motorcyclist took off and I sped up just to see how fast he was going. He looked over to switch lanes and saw I was there and sped up even more until his bike started to wobble, which was around 90 mph. We both slowed down and I resumed my cruise control speed of 67 mph. He fell behind me and I passed another 18 wheeler and moved over into the right lane. He saw I had my window down and as he passed me, revved his motor and just about made my left ear drum deaf. Only thing was he revved it a little much and he had a huge backfire. We ended taking the same exit and went our separate ways.

Harley isn't made for speed. Stomped a mudhole in on with my LS1 Trans Am and it wasn't even a contest. Cool rider though, gave me some thumbs after the run!

I've calmed down significantly since my 5.0L Mustang days. I had a few "incidents" with the M5, nothing to speak of with the Jeeps or the Charger I had before them.

Agree, a .38 +P still works alright and fits in the compartment behind the touch screen

Most of my driving is now on 50 mph rural roads and early in the morning, so I'll usually just encounter school buses or soccer moms. I have a dash cam, pepper spray in my door pocket, etc. These days you have to drive defensively. Most drivers are not paying attention. I've only "had words" with a few other drivers in my 14 years of driving, but it has been with "professional drivers" who lacked poor judgement. An example was last week when a tanker truck driver ran a red light through a busy intersection. He just started crossing through his light after our light had already been green for a few seconds, almost hitting a minivan that started to accelerate as the light changed. The guy had no remorse, but changed his tune when I told him I had the whole thing on camera.

I'm not the police, I'm not some sort of highway patrol and I have no authority. So I just stick to the right lane and drive. Maybe 5 over if traffic is really going along at a good pace. If someone does something stupid that makes me mad, then I just back off for a few minutes until they're out of sight, then resume speed.

If I'm going on a longer trip and towing my Jeep, I have more to worry about than trying to teach people a lesson. Usually along the lines of trying to figure out a place to pull over should my truck call it quits

I still get mad and frustrated, though less so as I'm not commuting anymore having retired last year.

Manners and following Rules of the Road - what happened?

1) Moving over to the right to allow someone to pass?
Now its block the lane and too bad sucker you are behind me.

2) All lane interstate rolling roadblock.
all cars going near speed limit, even in the passing lane. No body will move over a lane

3) Entering the interstate at 30 below the prevailing speed.
I get on at least 10mph- over so I can Brake to merge not get hung out to dry in the merge or breakdown lane.

4) Not using your phone to text on the highway.
Its illegal here, but most still do it. Ill beep the horn or flash high beams to wake them up. Most don't look up.

5) Know the rules of a Rotary ( round-a-bout )
Many stop instead of figuring out a good yield and merge speed. Some just plow into it as if they have the R.o.W.

6) Passing lane bandits.
Those dolts going maybe 5mph over posted in the left lane and not passing or moving over to allow faster cars to proceed.

I don't pay the "Its my fast lane now , sucker" game. I always want a rabbit in front to me so you are always welcome to move ahead.

Last edited:
I've never tailgated anyone or been in a road rage. Yes, maybe a few times have cursed out a few selfish [censored] who wouldn't let merge but that's it.

Small inconveniences like that are not worth the risk of getting shot.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I've never tailgated anyone or been in a road rage. Yes, maybe a few times have cursed out a few selfish [censored] who wouldn't let merge but that's it.

I think I've seen maybe two shootings on the news out of likely over 100 of billions of commuted miles

This cannot be a real concern.

Like getting hit by lightening after making a hole in one on a sunny day on a par 4 hole

I did see women slapping each other in the middle of the highway around here last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1zofRshlr8

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
No other driver controls my emotions or my blood pressure. I drive defensively and watch way down the road ahead of me. There is a lot of mental illness out there and they are driving vehicles. I don't engage or escalate .

BINGO!

A good technique to back off people from tailgating is to run your windshield washers for about 20 seconds. The mist goes right on the person behind you and their focus comes off tailgaiting you and they back off

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I think I've seen maybe two shootings on the news out of likely over 100 of billions of commuted miles

Like getting hit by lightening after making a hole in one on a sunny day on a par 4 hole

I did see women slapping each other in the middle of the highway around here last year.

Depends on where you live...where I used to live, it was legit. You don't wanna start nothin in the hood. Took this one fine morning at my (former) apartment complex of residence.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I lived in Indiana and shootings during road rage were quite common. And it was not the demographic you would suspect. It was middle class drones commuting to work, not rednecks in rusty trucks.

Once I was a pedestrian crossing the street while I had a right of way and an old white dude in a rusty Buick made a point to stop and pull a gun at me because I did not stop to give him way.

Every day is a war out there and you have to prepare for it. People now are going to do what they're going to do and if you just happen to be in their way - oh well. I've found that the new thing is they basically just dare you to hit them. With the way it is and hassle dealing with such things are nowadays, it's empowered them. If you turn in front of me and I hit you, I now don't have a car and I am majorly inconvenienced for the better part of weeks to months because of it. So I'll do everything I can to avoid hitting you. And they know it. If they want to be in my lane where in the spot I'm currently occupying, just move over. I'll do my best to try and not get hit.

You see examples of this every day with the cell phone use. (Just an example, not getting OT). You could make the fine $1,000,000 and people are still going to talk and drive. Why? Because they don't care and it doesn't matter what you or the government think about it.

I know it's not this way everywhere. But I'm seeing this attitude increase daily. The best thing is prepare for it.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
A good technique to back off people from tailgating is to run your windshield washers for about 20 seconds. The mist goes right on the person behind you and their focus comes off tailgaiting you and they back off

I used to prefer throwing change out my sunroof. Now that I am older and more mature I don't to that anymore.

Back