5w30 Throw Off VVT [ 5w20 Vehicle ] ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I'm using 0w40 in 2 vehicles calling for 5w20. I have noticed absolutely 0 difference other than my own perceived ever so slightly smoother and quieter running engines.

Placebo effect? Probably. Does it give me warm fuzzies inside? Definitely.

My 2009 Camry LE with 2AZ-FE calls for 5w20 or 0w20 in owners manual. I have a hard time believing that a 5w20 if recommended is a bad choice. I have Valvoline Syn Maxlife 5w20 and notice better startups in the winter here
smile.gif

I have that same engine in a 2012 Scion xB. I only have 21,000 miles on it, but was wondering how your oil consumption has been over the life of your engine as I see you have over 160K. Some things I read say that 2012 and later 2AZ-FE don't have the oil consumption issues, but was just curious about yours.

My vehicles spec one grade only nationwide. It's repeated over and over in that 600 page book that comes out of the glovebox and moved to my home office. (I admit to speed reading the tire and touch screen sections)
The whole ECM controlled lubrication system was designed around that. Point is, proxy votes against the OEM can vary engine by engine.
The oil spec was not afterthought … it changed with an engine generational change.
More things than VVT are impacted.

What did the million mile GM truck guy say ? Read your owner manual. So if that worked so well on his diesel … what makes it the wrong thing to do on a gasser. I don't know who's right or wrong on the warranty issue ? Despite decades of driving horrific vehicle brands … never any struggles there, so I'm not expert … my gut tells one thing and I'd not lie to the dealership if asked what oil grade.

As Shannow RE'd on my stiff 6 bolt lower end … that keeps everything concentric under loads.
Now if I buy another RV, I might study some more, but towing light and moderate cargo, I don't fear 0w20.
For those constantly bashing CAFE ? Nationwide you should understand that prevents more regulations that lots of us don't want to see take root.

I don't mind being on my own little island here … well, just me and the OEM that did not give me multiple choices.
Those that have options ? Fill your boots and engines

A, uh, friend of mine ran 0w-40 in a Subaru spec'd for 0w-20 and it worked great. Until it got to the cold mornings in October and November. It started to have some weird bucking issues until the engine warmed up. Which went away when the engine was switched back to 0w-20 at the scheduled oil change interval.

Luckily, I always run 0w-20 year round in mine
wink.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Zero cars in junkyard or repair shops due to xW30 damaging any VVTs. If there are some, then it's due to a bad design ...
On the other hand, some cars may end up in junkyard a little sooner due to using xW
shocked2.gif
sorry ran out of ink!
grin2.gif

You pull that data out a hole in your back yard?

Last edited:
I've noticed it moving the torque curve about 500 RPM up rev range and small Japanese engine, I had a stick shift in those cars so It didn't really bother me - others I owned it mad it a slug. Think AT.

My Nissan with a CVT and a QR25DE was very picky about oil grade - like Goldilocks. So I will chalk that up to design issues.
It would get very sluggish with too thick a 5w30 - so manytimes I mixed in a little 5w20 to get it back to the sweet spot.

I didn't have to worry with a Honda Fit Sport - It had VTEC and no VVTi

If you are a lugger I would not do it.

Never tried in that engine though.

But Why not take one for team and make a data point. You do it and report. You could also go 1/2 and 1/2 of a 20 + 30 to give it a good boost.

I did see many current DEXOS approved 20 grades looking thick in KV100 .in the high 8's (cSt.)

Last edited:
Short answer: NO

Long answer: Maybe if say 5w20 is the only weight allowed in all markets worldwide but I can't see why an automaker would require such a thing from a business sense.

Since you seem to have an issue with CAFE, you should be aware that once upon a time 5w30 was "per CAFE". So, in that regard, you are still drinking the Kool-Aid. Man up and go with an Xw40 if you want "thick".

Used 0w40 castrol in my 09 F150 with the 5.4l 3valve. Was specd for 0w20 in NA and 5w30 or 5w40 in Australia. Same engine. Ran quietly and smoothly with the 0w40. I use the same oil in my 2016 eco. Starts silently and tows like a beast.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaDad
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I'm using 0w40 in 2 vehicles calling for 5w20. I have noticed absolutely 0 difference other than my own perceived ever so slightly smoother and quieter running engines.

Placebo effect? Probably. Does it give me warm fuzzies inside? Definitely.

My 2009 Camry LE with 2AZ-FE calls for 5w20 or 0w20 in owners manual. I have a hard time believing that a 5w20 if recommended is a bad choice. I have Valvoline Syn Maxlife 5w20 and notice better startups in the winter here
smile.gif

I have that same engine in a 2012 Scion xB. I only have 21,000 miles on it, but was wondering how your oil consumption has been over the life of your engine as I see you have over 160K. Some things I read say that 2012 and later 2AZ-FE don't have the oil consumption issues, but was just curious about yours.

I owned mine since 100k. Prior owners used PYB 5W20. Around 114k my consumption started. Either rings or valve stem seals as I've never saw smoke at startup even after 7 days sitting.

20 wt oils have nothing to do with CAFE. I was using 20 wt oils in the late 60s and 70's. I have used M1 20 wt oils for the last 505K in my last 3 Ford Duratech engines with great results and no oil consumption to speak of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Short answer: NO

Long answer: Maybe if say 5w20 is the only weight allowed in all markets worldwide but I can't see why an automaker would require such a thing from a business sense.

Many parts of the world do not carry 20 wt oils or they are limited in that wt category. Perhaps they will in the future.

Last edited:
Moderately thicker oils will not cause any issues, but I would only use thicker if I were burning or if I had a large stockpile of something to use up...

I haven't tried it yet in my 2019 Jeep Wrangler but I wouldn't think it would hurt anything. In my 08 Wrangler I used to run M1 0w-40 with no issues. I'm thinking of 5w-30 in my 2019 in the summer as I tow and off-road. Oil temps pushing 240 are typical when I do.

I noted my owner's manual states "0w-20 is RECOMMENDED". It does not say it is required.

I've ran PP 10-30 in my gm 3.9 which has vvt and had no issues in 5k. I'm using 5-30 now because of winter but will go back to 10-30 when it warms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back