Where to add a fuel filter for RV generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like this ONAN generator never came with a fuel filter.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

I want to add a clear one not so much for filtering but so I can see if it's getting fuel from the tank. The fuel hose from the tank goes to the fuel pump on the generator at the lower right behind that battery cable. Fuel from the pump goes to the carburetor by a steel fuel line. Can I splice in the filter in the rubber fuel hose from the tank a few inches before the pump?

I can get these Bosch 71936 filters for under $2.

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

Not sure how safe these are in an enclosed area where you will not be looking at it very often. Crack, heat?

Fine for a lawnmower.

Not allowed on a boat if its in the enclosed engine bay.

Boat ones require all metal.

I know its an RV however.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks
Where are you finding those filters for under two bucks? I've got a generator project going on and want to put a filter in line.

WorldPac has them for $1.94 and the identical Hengst for $1.54.

Stay away from the clear ones if you are in a place that has E10 gas. The imported ones(I think they all are imported now) will melt if E10 or higher is used in them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fattylocks
Where are you finding those filters for under two bucks? I've got a generator project going on and want to put a filter in line.

I remember boxes of those by the register when I was younger. That same filter he posted is $1.49 from Autozone.

I have the exact same one in my motorhome.

There's a fuel filter right before the electric fuel pump.... in the 1/4" line coming from the main fuel tank.

I'm certain you have one - - -
you MIGHT have to start where the line attaches to the main tank and trace it all the way forward until you find it!

Originally Posted by Chris142
That same filter he posted is $1.49 from Autozone.

????

What part number?

AutoZone here wants $3.49 for one

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Chris142
That same filter he posted is $1.49 from Autozone.

????

What part number?

AutoZone here wants $3.49 for one

I have a commercial account.

Are you sure that it doesn't already have a fuel filter? On most motorhomes they mount them underneath, inline from the fuel tank outlet, usually pretty close to the fuel tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back