Trans runs better in severe cold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My trans(4 speed auto in a 2009 Grand Caravan) has been running much smoother since this -30c cold spell has started where I live. Less harshness in gear changing.

It doesn't really run terrible in hot weather but definitely jerky sometimes. I assume this is because the ATF +4 has a higher viscosity in the cold. Any additives that can mimic this in warm weather that are safe for Chrysler ATF 4 transmissions?

Someone once posted the viscosities of all the popular transmission fluids as a function of temperature. It would be interesting to have a look at that again.
smile.gif

It has received 2 drain and fills and a new filter in the last 5000km.

It's at 186 000 but 1st service isn't actually recommended until 200 000km by Dodge. They only do a pan drop and fill for recommended service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
I went to Red Line transmission fluid on my 62TE@ 50K miles. The C+ has 30% higher viscosity and is used by many folks as a popular replacement to the ATF-4 OE fluid.

https://www.redlineoil.com/c-atf

This is the kind of info I am looking for. Thx.

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one, so future ATF changes will be much easier since you won't have to drop the pan
smile.gif

In a Chrysler minivan, I'd change the fluid annually. Like someone else said, Redline C+ is the best thing to use where ATF+4 is called for

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one, so future ATF changes will be much easier since you won't have to drop the pan
smile.gif

In a Chrysler minivan, I'd change the fluid annually. Like someone else said, Redline C+ is the best thing to use where ATF+4 is called for

There's still a filter that you have to get at. Or do you only need to change that every other time?

Originally Posted by Olas
Without legs it wont run anywhere, anytime. Ever.
How about 'performs' or 'works' or 'operates'?

Where's the down vote button when you need one?

I love the operation of our 3500 service vans in cold weather because the torque converter stays unlocked for a while until things warm up a bit.

Much smoother, perfect shifts. I wonder if that's really what the OP is feeling here...

Snag - Got to feel -34C windchills a few weeks ago …
Think I will just continue to suffer 3-4 hot months per year …

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
I love the operation of our 3500 service vans in cold weather because the torque converter stays unlocked for a while until things warm up a bit.

I put a biiiig cooler on my old Taurus to try to keep the trans from failing. Usually late Jan - Early Feb when we have our really cold season, it would never get up to temperature. I could drive 45 miles or so to see my parents and it wouldn't warm up enough so the torque converter would lock up.

In many vehicles if the transmission oil temperature is too cold it won't shift past 3rd gear, computer says no. Living in Wyoming where -35F is reality I've experienced this firsthand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back