6.0 powerstroke engine repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made some progress today but got pulled off the job by other things going on, also had to track down a few more seals that I was missing. Should make some good progress tomorrow

538A3C92-E7DF-4597-8181-5084B4510FFB.jpeg

304B5CDB-EA1B-4EA3-9C8F-8499AD6D457D.jpeg

7959656B-95D9-444D-A32C-1C2AF1F93C2E.jpeg

13D178F5-814A-4DDA-9D80-B4DB6F5A7A3B.jpeg

912F4DDB-2E77-4187-8394-B332E091A1A3.jpeg

73684BFA-6F1F-4931-94E7-DBC34151F5D8.jpeg

7101C6E4-37FC-4549-9E8A-ADDCB3BE1C61.jpeg

Cam and crank installed/timed, bedplate installed as well as upper pan/pickup tube and lower pan. Been a crazy week with other things this is the first day I've been able to touch it this week and was out sick Friday last week.

687C1FB7-7B43-40A9-B2C9-B4781BB62AFF.jpeg

D7B18ECF-48E1-4698-B0C3-0C0CDD26474A.jpeg

Last edited:
I enjoy reading these teardowns, was the failure caused by a shoddy reman job or just a careless mechanic fiddling around with the engine?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Whats up with that oil pan drain plug?

Pan has a little rust around the bolt. Nothing major.

A few more pictures today

0F0F2C78-E5BF-4B33-BE65-677DE43BAF0D.jpeg

B99EDD4A-BC80-43EE-B4C1-ADAAFF2E0E3B.jpeg

34257D19-5231-4786-BF10-90B73CF88822.jpeg

AF028C36-4749-4AD9-AF8D-8FEA386BC12D.jpeg

CECE080D-EFF9-4BA9-815D-A60B2B867F68.jpeg

2EAB0A83-F842-4553-8FE2-E6AF8A331491.jpeg

E55EE1A6-0EE2-4E0D-96C1-11A251A1DCD2.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
I enjoy reading these teardowns, was the failure caused by a shoddy reman job or just a careless mechanic fiddling around with the engine?

Some of both. Poor quality parts used on the reman engine (mostly seals and gaskets, the bearings used on this reman were also cheapies. Used some ford bearings this time). Also some poor workmanship (uneven torque on head bolts, several stripped valve cover bolt holes, other grossly over tightened bolts) and some by poor previous repairs. The front cover was damaged by sucking up debris and was replaced. I'll get some pictures of that next week. Also have the crankshaft a hand polish with some 1000 grit paper and some oil.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I like the Mohawk lift.

Thanks. Brand new, 20,000 lb capacity. Been a long time coming.

Couple more pictures. engine at this point is assembled with valve covers on and ready to go back in the truck other than the front and rear crankshaft seals (will be installed next week, waiting on some seal installers)

610717A2-2522-4155-8D0A-719E66587F6E.jpeg

B79001FF-ACFA-4139-A73A-BA47261674FC.jpeg

A90B501F-7BDD-40DC-8A2B-2A1A4CDCA602.jpeg

Last edited:
I should note...the front cover was damaged by the oil pump sucking up trash...the front cover itself obviously did not suck anything up.

One thing for people building a 6.0, it is cheaper to buy the lifters already installed in the retainers, than buying lifters on their own. Ford also now offers head gaskets with ARP studs and head gaskets by themselves for people that already have head studs.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
One thing for people building a 6.0, it is cheaper to buy the lifters already installed in the retainers, than buying lifters on their own. Ford also now offers head gaskets with ARP studs and head gaskets by themselves for people that already have head studs.

Yes he did say that. He said they don't do offer that for the 6.7 yet though.

Originally Posted by mattd

Yes he did say that. He said they don't do offer that for the 6.7 yet though.

Correct, I was just amazed it took so long to have ARP studs offered through Ford for the 6.0. I think every head gasket set I ever sold to the shop or over the counter had the bolts tossed and replaced with studs. Well except for one shop who took out the studs and BulletProof EGR cooler to "upgrade back to stock."

Nice thread Matt - and nice work!!

The owner was smart to bring that to you! Hope he takes care of it from here on.

...Ford also now offers head gaskets with ARP studs and head gaskets by themselves for people that already have head studs.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the post.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by mattd
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Just take it to www.powerstrokehelp.com they will bullet proof that thing !

?

That guy is an idiot And is obnoxious to listen to

I will not argue that he is not obnoxious. But I think his company knows what they are doing with PSD. I think it's Mikey on his videos that is the real expert there on the engines not Bill the main guy in the videos.

Sometimes you wonder when the employee knows more than the owner of the company. I guess that's okay..... I think bill is behind on the times with the latest 6.7 engine and he let Mikey do it all.

Originally Posted by super20dan
he isn't an idiot and is an honest guy. you guys who bought 6.0 are the idiots

smirk2.gif

You get that from his YouTube videos?

Last edited:
I bought mine about a year and a half ago and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a 2007 King Ranch F-350. When I bought it, the engine was a fresh rebuild by a reputable local diesel shop that used all OEM Ford parts except for the ARP studs.

I did just have to put injectors in it about a month ago, those things were not cheap but it was a fairly easy job to replace them. I probably could have just replaced the one that was definitely bad, but I decided it would be best to replace all 8 together.

[Linked Image]

Seems to me like engineering is in a slow regression. See lots of corner cutting in the design, no wonder they have problems.

international desighned the 6.0 and 6.4 to just get tru the warranty period. ford is the victim here but should have recalled every one of these ever made. trouble was there was no fix for this engine for several years. it was private industry like powerstroke help that came up with the fixes. this whole debacle is just mindblowing that people continued to buy these trucks when the problems became known. this is prob the biggest scandle to ever hit the auto industry. people died in ambulances that couldn't get to the hospital. notice how you seldom see a ford ambulance any more?

Originally Posted by super20dan
international desighned the 6.0 and 6.4 to just get tru the warranty period. ford is the victim here but should have recalled every one of these ever made. trouble was there was no fix for this engine for several years. it was private industry like powerstroke help that came up with the fixes. this whole debacle is just mindblowing that people continued to buy these trucks when the problems became known. this is prob the biggest scandle to ever hit the auto industry. people died in ambulances that couldn't get to the hospital. notice how you seldom see a ford ambulance any more?

90% of what's around here are ford based. That is basically all I work on. Some 6.0s still but mostly 6.7s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back