Help identifying this drill bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone identify the proper part name/size/type of this bit ? On the Amazon page link it is the square bit in the first row on left side, next to an empty slot, inside the case

Am working on a small project and this bit is perfect for the 3.5 inch deck screws but I will need at least 5 more bits and Home Depot, where I purchased the Ryobi kit does not sell this as a standalone part.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-AR2040-Impact-Driving-70-Piece/dp/B07WMMCBFF/

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by henni
How can I tell if it is a #1 or #2 size Square Bit ?

That's a #2. Deck/construction/most Robertson screws are #2, at least in Canada they are.

EDIT: #2 is about 1/8" in diameter. #1 is smaller, like 1/16"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington

That's a #2. Deck/construction/most Robertson screws are #2, at least in Canada they are.

That is correct. It's a Robertson and in Canada at least deck screws use a #2 driver.

As I recall the story the Roberson screw was invented in Canada. It was offered to Henry Ford but he refused to pay the extra cost for this big improvement over slotted screws and had his staff search for (or possibly develop) an alternative, which was the Phillips screw.

If you compare a Robertson and a Phillips screw you'll find the Robertson is a big improvement (it's far more rugged, and a screw will sit on the head of a screwdriver).

In any case Robertson screws are very common in Canada.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
If you compare a Robertson and a Phillips screw you'll find the Robertson is a big improvement (it's far more rugged, and a screw will sit on the head of a screwdriver).
Stick on the end of a worn bit...sorta. Definitely harder to strip.

So this should be a matching bit ?

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-99013-Impactx-Square-Recess/dp/B0728DN1K5/
That's it. Drive some Robertson screws, eat some ketchup chips and wash it down with a bag of milk!

About the only screw driver bit you can renew when it gets worn. Grind a little off the tip until it's all good again.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by maxdustington

That is correct. It's a Robertson and in Canada at least deck screws use a #2 driver.

As I recall the story the Roberson screw was invented in Canada. It was offered to Henry Ford but he refused to pay the extra cost for this big improvement over slotted screws and had his staff search for (or possibly develop) an alternative, which was the Phillips screw.

In any case Robertson screws are very common in Canada.

My understanding is the Phillips is designed to cam out or slip with when it is tightened with a power driver. Operators can control torque by decreasing the pressure on the screw. This was important during mass production before torque limiting drivers were used. Robertson screws cannot be used in this way, so appear to have different applications.

Originally Posted by pkunk
About the only screw driver bit you can renew when it gets worn. Grind a little off the tip until it's all good again.

Hex bits also? If you look at the diagram of a Robertson screw and driver on Wiki, the driver and socket have a conical square tip. It doesn't appear this is a needed feature of the driver, a flat tip seems to work fine. It could be that the conical tip just makes it easier to insert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back