To use or not to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm coming up on my first service for my differential in my 300, and the shop where I work has a contract with Valvoline, so I can essentially Change my oil for free with any of their products as well as differential services. My question is does anyone have experience with Valvoline Differential fluids? Do you recommend? I know most will say of course because its free. But I'm hard on my vehicle and like to take care of it, free isn't always appropriate. Thanks in advance.

Use full synthetic 75W90 and sleep well. Doesn't take much at all. Fill it slowly until it just starts to run out of the fill hole. Done!!!

I don't see a 300 in your sig.

Open diff in the rear, I'm guessing?

I wouldn't worry about putting any syn of the correct grade.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Use full synthetic 75W90 and sleep well. Doesn't take much at all. Fill it slowly until it just starts to run out of the fill hole. Done!!!

I agree. I agree especially about the part of "fill it slowly." If you fill it fast, you may think you have filled it when you really didn't. You didn't give the grease time
to flow out and settle down. I have experienced this first hand. Now I don't think it will be under filled to the point of hurting your diff but it may end up slightly under filled.

I am curious what would make you think the quality of the Valvoline oil is sub par?

It will work just fine. There are hundreds of differentials in salvage yards that have over 300k on them with the factory fluid still in them.

Valvoline is a proven trusted brand like Mobil or Chevron etc. Add that it's free for you and I think you have a no brainier decision to make.

Valvoline is great oil. I maintain vehicles for many family/friends and some bring their own fluid. One of my friends had me change the diff fluids on his vehicles and we used only Valvoline that he provided in the front and rear diffs of his Ranger and his Cherokee. Both made it to 200k+ miles and looked great inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back