Toyota is recalling 2018 2019 vehicles for fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

The difference is how recalls from marques that aren't Toyota are played.

Ford issues a recall for the cruise control switch fire, people freak out, call Ford garbage...etc. Message boards like this one are lit up with anti-Ford rhetoric about how their uncle's friend's grandfather's great aunt was run over by a Model T and they've sworn they'll never buy a Ford!

versus

Toyota, after a class action lawsuit is levied against them, finally acknowledges that they've been using garbage frames that they didn't adequately QC and issues a recall. Folks are fawning over them like they are the 2nd coming of [censored] and praising their exemplary morality, completely ignoring it took a huge CAL to even get them to acknowledge the issue!

it's like no matter how much of a complete fecal parade Toyota puts on, their fanbase is in the wings waiting to jump out and celebrate something as an achievement. Mention the Toyota sludge epidemic? Well my 1998 Camry went 20 billion miles with only needing tires, I never even needed to change the brakes!

Contrast that to any other brand, there's no comparison. Toyota gets more free passes on things that would have other brands bashed until the end of time. It's truly bizarre to watch
21.gif

Wait, there is still time in this thread to blame suppliers.

You are both absolutely correct.

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I can tell you that my previous F150 was involved in the recall about the brake master cylinder sensor recall that was burning down people's homes. What is different about that recall vs the Toyota "floor mat" recall is Ford did not cover it up. A recall notice was sent and repair was made, I was fortunate to not have my home catch on fire. I was not alive for the pinto and panther recalls so I cant speak for how Ford executives handled themselves in the media before I was born. My point was as I was watching the coverage, watching him throw up his hands in confusion to why he was being questioned really made it appear that he really dident give a fvck at all. Yes, I own Fords but this is NOT a Ford vs Toyota thread, and I understand that ALL companies, foreign or domestic will always put out a product that has potential to kill people.

Also to KrisZ's post I dident realize it was sarcasm.
One good thing that came from Toyota's unintended acceleration problem is that Toyota is now VERY quick to recall their vehicles whenever a safety defect has been discovered, this being one example.

What is very quick? Are they quicker than anyone else? There is no doubt that we had and will have in future car and other companies that will try to scam the system (just look Boeing) but let's not turn this into fairytale.
How quick? Very few people even knew about the fuel pump failures before the recall. Did you know? I didn't. Heck, the paint is barley dry on many of the vehicles included in this recall.
Let me give you an example of someone else... GM sold millions of vehicles over many years that had defective ignition switches which caused thousands of accidents killing hundreds of people. Internal documents showed that GM knew about the problem VERY early-on. After denying and denying, they finally issued a recall long after they redesigned the ignition switch, most of the vehicle models affected were out of production, and many of them were long out-of-service. That is just ONE example.
Here is another one... Internal documents showed that Ford knew the Explorer was highly prone to rollovers, even before they started selling them. They blamed Firestone for the problem, yet the problem persisted even after the recalled tires were replaced with other brands. Only then did Ford issue a recall, and it was a half-@$$ed recall where they simply pumped-up the air pressure in the tires and put stickers in the door jams and owner's manuals changing the recommended tire pressure from 26psi to 32psi. That helped greatly with limiting the tire blow-outs, but it didn't address the underlying problem with the Explorer's design that was causing them to easily roll over.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I can tell you that my previous F150 was involved in the recall about the brake master cylinder sensor recall that was burning down people's homes. What is different about that recall vs the Toyota "floor mat" recall is Ford did not cover it up. A recall notice was sent and repair was made, I was fortunate to not have my home catch on fire. I was not alive for the pinto and panther recalls so I cant speak for how Ford executives handled themselves in the media before I was born. My point was as I was watching the coverage, watching him throw up his hands in confusion to why he was being questioned really made it appear that he really dident give a fvck at all. Yes, I own Fords but this is NOT a Ford vs Toyota thread, and I understand that ALL companies, foreign or domestic will always put out a product that has potential to kill people.

Also to KrisZ's post I dident realize it was sarcasm.
One good thing that came from Toyota's unintended acceleration problem is that Toyota is now VERY quick to recall their vehicles whenever a safety defect has been discovered, this being one example.

What is very quick? Are they quicker than anyone else? There is no doubt that we had and will have in future car and other companies that will try to scam the system (just look Boeing) but let's not turn this into fairytale.
How quick? Very few people even knew about the fuel pump failures before the recall. Did you know? I didn't. Heck, the paint is barley dry on many of the vehicles included in this recall.
Let me give you an example of someone else... GM sold millions of vehicles over many years that had defective ignition switches which caused thousands of accidents killing hundreds of people. Internal documents showed that GM knew about the problem VERY early-on. After denying and denying, they finally issued a recall long after they redesigned the ignition switch, most of the vehicle models affected were out of production, and many of them were long out-of-service. That is just ONE example.
Here is another one... Internal documents showed that Ford knew the Explorer was highly prone to rollovers, even before they started selling them. They blamed Firestone for the problem, yet the problem persisted even after the recalled tires were replaced with other brands. Only then did Ford issue a recall, and it was a half-@$$ed recall where they simply pumped-up the air pressure in the tires and put stickers in the door jams and owner's manuals changing the recommended tire pressure from 26psi to 32psi. That helped greatly with limiting the tire blow-outs, but it didn't address the underlying problem with the Explorer's design that was causing them to easily roll over.

So, basically you response is same talking point from before.
Other manufacturers issue recalls before anyone knows for an issue, and most of them are related to stuff that cannot get you killed.
Toyota did not do this bcs. they care for people, they did bcs: NTSB+potential CAL=recall.
Yes, I am aware about GM and all cover up. That was point of my post, but you are still trying to make this, as Overkill said, 2nd coming.

How quick? Very few people even knew about the fuel pump failures before the recall.

At one time I worked as a master tech at a Toyota dealer. I still have friends who do. I talked to one yesterday, and he wasn't aware of an issue prior to the recall being announced. He couldn't remember the last time he replaced a fuel pump.

Other manufacturers issue recalls before anyone knows for an issue, and most of them are related to stuff that cannot get you killed.
Toyota did not do this bcs. they care for people, they did bcs: NTSB+potential CAL=recall.
Yes, I am aware about GM and all cover up. That was point of my post, but you are still trying to make this, as Overkill said, 2nd coming.
You are wrong, as usual. And, you are Toyota bashing, as usual.

Last edited:
You are wrong, as usual. And, you are Toyota bashing, as usual.

When one runs out of talking points.

This deserves a Picard face palm.

SUV's, particularly those with short wheel bases like the Explorer Sport, GMC Jimmy/Chevy Blazer (the S10/S15 versions) are prone to roll-over in the event of a sudden evasive maneuver. This isn't new or news. Have you ever been in or driven a Suzuki Samurai? What about a Chevy Tracker or a Jeep YJ? The issue wasn't that the Explorer, and particularly the Sport version, were more inclined to roll-over than other vehicles of that type, it was the fact that there were an abnormally high number of tire failures that triggered these events that led to the Firestone fiasco, which they were indeed responsible for. Ford later upped the tire pressure as well, to further reduce the likelihood of tire failure.

This is exactly the type of garbage I'm talking about, oh, Toyota did something stupid? We better start bashing Ford, like WTH??
crazy2.gif

Now we are being instructed to observe Toyota's speed of issuing recalls as if it's the bloody benchmark for the industry? Doesn't seem to matter what it is, there is always the Toyota Spinâ„¢

The rate at which recalls are issued depends on many factors and ALL marques have greatly improved in the last decade in terms of issues being identified, and recalls being issued. One thing that has lagged is parts, particularly for things like the Takata airbag recall. My wife's truck had a recall a couple of months after we got it for the brake pedal. FCA was quick to identify this issue and issue a recall to address it but I certainly didn't feel it necessary to put FCA on a pedestal for this action, it's how things are supposed to work. This is pretty standard now across the board as consumer perception regarding recalls has shifted, which has led to OEM's being more willing to issue them quickly.

This deserves a Picard face palm.

SUV's, particularly those with short wheel bases like the Explorer Sport, GMC Jimmy/Chevy Blazer (the S10/S15 versions) are prone to roll-over in the event of a sudden evasive maneuver. This isn't new or news. Have you ever been in or driven a Suzuki Samurai? What about a Chevy Tracker or a Jeep YJ? The issue wasn't that the Explorer, and particularly the Sport version, were more inclined to roll-over than other vehicles of that type, it was the fact that there were an abnormally high number of tire failures that triggered these events that led to the Firestone fiasco, which they were indeed responsible for. Ford later upped the tire pressure as well, to further reduce the likelihood of tire failure.

This is exactly the type of garbage I'm talking about, oh, Toyota did something stupid? We better start bashing Ford, like WTH??
crazy2.gif

Now we are being instructed to observe Toyota's speed of issuing recalls as if it's the bloody benchmark for the industry? Doesn't seem to matter what it is, there is always the Toyota Spinâ„¢

The rate at which recalls are issued depends on many factors and ALL marques have greatly improved in the last decade in terms of issues being identified, and recalls being issued. One thing that has lagged is parts, particularly for things like the Takata airbag recall. My wife's truck had a recall a couple of months after we got it for the brake pedal. FCA was quick to identify this issue and issue a recall to address it but I certainly didn't feel it necessary to put FCA on a pedestal for this action, it's how things are supposed to work. This is pretty standard now across the board as consumer perception regarding recalls has shifted, which has led to OEM's being more willing to issue them quickly.

Yeah, not anymore examples. We came to this point: You are wrong, I said it.

Last edited:
Did someone mention FCA? we like our FCA products too.
smile.gif

That will probably bring out some brand bashing fan boys...

Originally Posted by 02SE
smile.gif

That's like mentioning the q word! Now all the owners of dull anodyne appliances will be in here preaching how they think they own the epitome of automotive manufacturing
27.gif

[Linked Image]

So everyone makes stuff that is poo. Awesome now that, that is out of the way...

I am wondering how many will have to have the tank dropped and how many have access panels.

It is just a big pain to drop the tank.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
So everyone makes stuff that is poo. Awesome now that, that is out of the way...

I am wondering how many will have to have the tank dropped and how many have access panels.

It is just a big pain to drop the tank.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by 02SE
smile.gif

It will be Peugeot soon with a bit of Dongfeng for added spice.

crazy2.gif

That's how it always turns out to be on the Facebook pages of groups like Car & Driver, MT, etc. "But you should see the amount of GMs or Ford's recalls." BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT PEOPLE!

Originally Posted by Pew
crazy2.gif

That's how it always turns out to be on the Facebook pages of groups like Car & Driver, MT, etc. "But you should see the amount of GMs or Ford's recalls." BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT PEOPLE!
This sort of thing usually starts when someone who owns another brand bashes Toyota, then Toyota owners come to Toyota's defence and bash the other brand.

Originally Posted by Pew
crazy2.gif

This sort of thing usually starts when someone who owns another brand bashes Toyota, then Toyota owners come to Toyota's defence and bash the other brand.

Yea it's like clockwork. You kinda already know what the discussion is going to look like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
crazy2.gif

Toyota owners come to defence? Like recall actually does not exist? What is defence here?

When cop stops person doing 20 over in school zone, defence is not: the other guy did it too. Person still gets a ticket.

Originally Posted by Pew
crazy2.gif

Toyota owners come to defence? Like recall actually does not exist? What is defence here?

On the FB pages at least it always starts off as "well *insert car company* has xx amount of recalls" or something random like "LOLOL BMW MAINTENANCE LOLOLOL."

Originally Posted by Pew

On the FB pages at least it always starts off as "well *insert car company* has xx amount of recalls" or something random like "LOLOL BMW MAINTENANCE LOLOLOL."

The thing is, as Overkill pointed, forever here and on other forums, for every issue answer was: Get Toyota, get Honda etc. And if someone says: yes, but... that is when things get interesting.
I have a neighbor that whenever snows he is: It is bad, I even slid with my 4Runner. When one points that 4Runner is not really that good in snow and slick conditions, he is: It is 4Runner, it is one of the best off road vehicles. Yes, but snow...
He wants you to come to point where you have to say: yes, it is really good off road vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back