No love here for the M&P Shield 2.0 9mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by hatt
I like my Shield. It's a 1.0. Can't beat the price on the 1.0.

+1. I got a steal on a performance center version with the fiber optic sights and porting. Just for fun. Trigger isn't great but it has a great hand feel, runs well, and I enjoy shooting it.

What's a steal?

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Curious as to how you figure the Glock is more durable than a M&P? Also disassembly?

They're both quite similar in construction and operation and as an owner of both, I don't find one to be superior to the other, except for ergonomics, which I give to S&W but that's mostly a personal preference.

The Glock has like 17 parts in it. It is designed to be field serviceable, where any worn part could be replaced, in the field, by a person with very limited training. That's the beauty of the Glock. You/me/anyone can completely disassemble it down to the last small part in seconds with a pin punch, all the parts are cheap and readily available so that the end user can fully maintain his Glock without the need for sending it back to the manufacturer for repairs. You can completely rebuild a Glock and replace all the springs every ten years, essentially having a new gun, for less than $25-$30. That kind of serviceability is extremely important to me and many others.

All other guns, to include the Smith, need to go back to the factory for a rebuild/maintenance.

For the average user that shoots 100 rounds a year, they will never need maintenance, but for us guys that shoot thousands of rounds every year, we do appreciate the simplicity of the design.

Glocks may not be more durable than any other plastic fantastic, but the ability to change out any worn broken parts in seconds for cheap sure make it easy for the owner. I had a Glock slide stop break a few weeks ago. Ordered a new one, swapped it in seconds, that gun is back in action, for less than $6.

Originally Posted by bradepb
I just picked up a version 1 Shield on sale at a local big box for $279.00 - $50 rebate = $229.00 including tax. Hard to beat for such a good pistol.
I still prefer my Glocks overall however for sheer durability and ease of complete dissasembly.

Curious as to how you figure the Glock is more durable than a M&P? Also disassembly?

They're both quite similar in construction and operation and as an owner of both, I don't find one to be superior to the other, except for ergonomics, which I give to S&W but that's mostly a personal preference.

What Bubba said.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

The Glock has like 17 parts in it. It is designed to be field serviceable, where any worn part could be replaced, in the field, by a person with very limited training. That's the beauty of the Glock. You/me/anyone can completely disassemble it down to the last small part in seconds with a pin punch, all the parts are cheap and readily available so that the end user can fully maintain his Glock without the need for sending it back to the manufacturer for repairs. You can completely rebuild a Glock and replace all the springs every ten years, essentially having a new gun, for less than $25-$30. That kind of serviceability is extremely important to me and many others.

All other guns, to include the Smith, need to go back to the factory for a rebuild/maintenance.

For the average user that shoots 100 rounds a year, they will never need maintenance, but for us guys that shoot thousands of rounds every year, we do appreciate the simplicity of the design.

Glocks may not be more durable than any other plastic fantastic, but the ability to change out any worn broken parts in seconds for cheap sure make it easy for the owner. I had a Glock slide stop break a few weeks ago. Ordered a new one, swapped it in seconds, that gun is back in action, for less than $6.

Having read your posts, I know what your ammo budget is like and how much you shoot - and I'm jealous for sure! That said, I shoot maybe a couple thousand rounds a year and have yet to need a service performed. This is with my Shield V1 and a Canik TP9 SF Elite.

Keeping in mind that most of us here are pretty resourceful, with at least a little more than basic hand tools, is it still your contention that an M&P NEEDS to be sent back to the mothership, where a Glock wouldn't? I realize that not everyone is as capable as you or I and have my suspicion that regardless of who made it, there will be those who have to send their firearms back for all repairs.

I think you may have stated a presupposition before the evidence has been presented.
smile.gif

I have two S&W Shields in both .40 and 0.380 ACP and they are both accurate and reliable.

My friend at work bought a pair of M&P shield 2.0 in .40 when they were on sale last year for $269. I have no use for another calibre but at that price it was close I almost bit. It is a fine pistol in either calibre. It is a lot of gun for the money IMO.

Originally Posted by Colt
I have 3 different caliber M&P models and love them.
I also love my Beretta Tomcat Inox.

Seems the love is for Glocks and Sigs but I feel the M&P line is a very good value when of course discounted.

I don't own any Glocks. I'm an M&P person. I own 2 FS 1.0 .40 calibers and a FS 2.0 .40 caliber.
All 3 are real tack drivers!

Originally Posted by MolaKule

I think you may have stated a presupposition before the evidence has been presented.
smile.gif

I have two S&W Shields in both .40 and 0.380 ACP and they are both accurate and reliable.

I don't think so. Seems Glocks and Sigs are the favorites of most.

smile.gif

Really ? Do you have figures that backup your opinion ?

Originally Posted by FastGame

smile.gif

Really ? Do you have figures that backup your opinion ?

Just the talk of Glocks and how good Sigs are on most forums.
The Sig should be a better pistol (if it is) because the cost is more.
As far as Glocks, I think the name has a ring to it. LOL

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Nice, thin Glock 43 single-stack is my next buy.

Don't think you will be sorry. Its very snappy though.

I have 3 different caliber M&P models and love them.
I also love my Beretta Tomcat Inox.

Seems the love is for Glocks and Sigs but I feel the M&P line is a very good value when of course discounted.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Marco620
I'll stick with something with true class.

True class, indeed.

Yeah. But my P30sk gets all the amour.

Yeah. But my P30sk gets all the amour.

I like it's smaller size.

I think the Smith M&P 2.0 and Shield 2.0 lines of pistols are exceptional values, especially since Smith routinely offers rebates.

The M&P 2.0 9mm goes for around $350, and the .40 S&W version for $299!

And the Shield 2.0 can be had for $199 with the $50 rebate from Smith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back