Mobil Supersyn vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen an answer to this question. What is the difference between these two oils other than $2.00 a qt.?

Mobil flat out told me that Mobil 1 is a premium brand and Supersyn's position in the market is on a lesser tier, but they insisted it is great oil. I may be mistaken, but I think their warranty is better on the M1 product line, too.

It isn't only Exxon Mobil that rates them this way. FCA allowed MS6395 certification on Supersyn but not Mobil 1. Why? Because M1 competes with Sopus' premium product line (Pennzoil Platinum). MS6395 was the context of my call to them, to ask why M1 doesn't get the FCA approval. In short, they are in bed with Sopus. Politics. They clearly stated, though, that M1 was the higher performing oil line. I'm sure my Jeep, though, would have no complaints running Supersyn.

Last edited:
Yep.
Both Mobil and Pennzoil brands live under a corporate umbrella that offers value-priced oil brands. Shell and Quaker State are part of Pennzoil (SOPUS).

Valvoline lends their products to places like NAPA. Castrol has Magnatec to value-compete under it's premium line of Edge oils. A couple of Super Premiums are Mobil-1 EP/AP and Castrol Edge EP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Koncrete_Cam
Mobil1 is rated superior over the supersyn. Both are Exxon products.

Agreed...I believe that SS replaced Mobil 7500 and is recommended for that OCI....while M1 is recommended for 10K.
I picked up a lot of SS at the recent AA 'Clearance'.....some d1g2..some just d1.....Does anybody know if SS had lowered calcium before d1g2 as M1 did?

The important question is what is the intended application for product usage. If it's a factory recommend OCI in a stock car just use the Super when it is of lessor cost.

Originally Posted by dave1251
The important question is what is the intended application for product usage. If it's a factory recommend OCI in a stock car just use the Super when it is of lessor cost.

website says SS is warranted for 7500mi. but at the end of the day, if it certified API oil as well as d1g2 really can't see why it would work any different from M1. I have a bunch of 0w20 and 5w30 SS from recent AAP clearance and it'll go in both my Civic 1.5T and Pilot at some point

I'll take whatever SS or Magnatec any of you aren't willing to use. Both great oils. Both stellar oils at qt. This year was definitely the best clearance year I've had. Hundreds of quarts of both. My only regret is not buying more Magnatec at $9.37/5qts. Always ignored it, then once I bought it I did my homework and realized what I bought
shocked2.gif
. Probably the most underrated oil currently on the market. My experience with it in a few cars backs the data I read too.

Well then how is one synthetic base oil different(cheaper) than another synthetic base oil. Mobil 1 has reduced the amounts of PAO in a lot of their formulas so you can't say Mobil 1 uses PAO while SS doesn't.

Well there are all kinds of Group III base stocks given that (among the requirements) API 1509 Appendix E defines the Group as anything with a viscosity index greater than 120. Therefore some may require more processing to achieve a desired performance level.

Group III base stocks contain greater than or equal to 90 percent saturates and less than or equal to 0.03 percent sulfur and have a viscosity index greater than or equal to 120 using the test methods specified inTable E-1.

So since the requirements are a min/max they can be exceeded. This is also true for Group I and Group II stocks as well.

Way back when that ExxonMobil presentation was given about Visom it indicated that the product wasn't cheap, but the performance level was high due to the fact it was intended to be a direct replacement for PAO. Other Group III base stocks were less expensive to produce but did not have the same performance.

So bottom line is that if a manufacturer wishes to put more time, effort and money into a base stock they can improve the performance over another even if the chemical structure of the two are identical. In the case of Group III it has a lot to do with how "clean" the stock is and how much effort is given to reducing contaminates.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Well then how is one synthetic base oil different(cheaper) than another synthetic base oil. Mobil 1 has reduced the amounts of PAO in a lot of their formulas so you can't say Mobil 1 uses PAO while SS doesn't.

OMG!
If you are going to believe hard enough that SS is equal to Mobil-1, then continue with your wild dreams. You seem intent on not letting anyone here tell you Mobil-1 is better oil.
Also, There are many base oils - from all over the earth and many different add-packs - many different products in add-packs and many individual items in these add-packs that have competitors with different grades of it.. Some are quality-driven and some are price-driven.

So let me guess. You have already purchased SS - despite having the money to buy Mobil-1 and can't be talked into making the wrong decision. But really, there isn't a wrong decision. Use the SS smartly, based on your OCI length - how hard you drive - how much your percentage of driving is done in crowded cities........etc.....etc.

If used correctly, you can smile and proclaim yourself as making the right decision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

OMG!
If you are going to believe hard enough that SS is equal to Mobil-1, then continue with your wild dreams. You seem intent on not letting anyone here tell you Mobil-1 is better oil.
Also, There are many base oils - from all over the earth and many different add-packs - many different products in add-packs and many individual items in these add-packs that have competitors with different grades of it.. Some are quality-driven and some are price-driven.

So let me guess. You have already purchased SS - despite having the money to buy Mobil-1 and can't be talked into making the wrong decision. But really, there isn't a wrong decision. Use the SS smartly, based on your OCI length - how hard you drive - how much your percentage of driving is done in crowded cities........etc.....etc.

If used correctly, you can smile and proclaim yourself as making the right decision.

I never said I believed they were the same. I simply asked if anyone could explain the difference and no one has. They are both synthetic and meet the same standards yet one is $2 cheaper. The only difference seems to be that Mobil markets one as good for 7500 miles and the other is good for 10k miles. Just read what I asked and don't put words in my mouth. Could it be like hot water heaters where you are paying more just for longer warranties?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

OMG!

I never said I believed they were the same. I simply asked if anyone could explain the difference and no one has. They are both synthetic and meet the same standards yet one is $2 cheaper. The only difference seems to be that Mobil markets one as good for 7500 miles and the other is good for 10k miles. Just read what I asked and don't put words in my mouth. Could it be like hot water heaters where you are paying more just for longer warranties?

You are primarily paying for a better additive package that has been tested to provide a longer lifespan for the lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back