Stupid 7317 Filter Wrench Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently started using the Fram UG 7317 on 3 1st gen Acura TSXs for 2 OCIs.
The filter on the K24 is in the back, up high and there ain't much room. Real messy...
It might be me, but the Frams seem to be harder to remove then the M1 and Wix I have always used.
I was usually able to remove the filters by hand; no tool. Sometimes I use the end cap style; easy peasey.

The 7317 diameter is like 2.65". This seems to be in between size for Lisle strap wrenches...
Also, the rough coating makes the end cap style tool not fit. Sheesh.

Which filter wrench do you use for the 7317 in a tight spot?
I am not asking for your favorite tool; I am looking for real world experience.

I appreciate your guidance.

The grippy paint should make it easier to remove by hand
crazy2.gif

If I can;t remove it by hand, I use rubberized gloves. If that doesn't work, hammer and screwdriver
banana2.gif

^ The lisle gripper is the best. Just get the right size - or both. Well worth it....the oil filter seatbelt strap works well too.

Yeah, the coating should help, but the 7317 seems to be harder than the other filters I have used for years.
Probably just me...
There is no room for the hammer and screwdriver method on the 1st gen TSX.
I think the Lisle 63600 sounds like a winner, especially at 7 bones.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:
I have that wrench that paulri linked. It works well. Channelocks are also a good tool. More expensive but you can use them on other things.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I have that wrench that paulri linked. It works well. Channelocks are also a good tool. More expensive but you can use them on other things.

Yep; Channellock pliers have been my goto forever. Pretty much universal and have saved my bacon many times.
I would continue using them, but the size of the filter and the limited space makes my large pliers unusable and the next smaller size a bit small. They do work.

Gonna try the Lisle 63600. All good.

Last edited:
I have been using the Lisle for over 15 years.
Works great on any filter you can get it on.
It can be covered in oil ,grease ect. It comes off.

The Lisle 63600 cam action cap wrench pictured what I'm using now. Price dropped below $7 last year so grabbed one. Seems to work well. As opposed to other specific size cap wrenches doesn't get stuck on end of filter and have to knocked off.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
The Lisle 63600 cam action cap wrench pictured what I'm using now. Price dropped below $7 last year so grabbed one. Seems to work well. As opposed to other specific size cap wrenches doesn't get stuck on end of filter and have to knocked off.

Even better. Thanks.

I just ordered the Lisle for $7.12 from HD and will give it a try based on comments. I have the Walmart one shown above and it doesn't grip the filter at all. Going to take it back, which is also why I bought from HD.

I've owned several 2.4L Honda/Acura cars with the same tight fit and I always used the Lisle tool pictured above. In fact, I find it to be the best designed oil filter wrench I have used.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
The hyper tough version of the Lisle is $2.50 at Walmart.. not sure if its discontinued.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Adjustable-Oil-Filter-Wrench/797333184

That tool sucks compared to the Lisle. No comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back