Ducted Fuel Injection Cleans Up Diesel Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool.

...Ducted fuel injection for diesel engines, developed at Sandia National Lab's Combustion Research Facility by Charles Mueller, can fine-tune the fuel-air mixture in an engine to the point of eliminating between 50% to 100% of the soot typically generated by diesels. "And engine manufacturers are starting to show excitement about it," he says. Manufacturers like it because it cleans up the emissions, it work well with conventional diesel fuels, and it is conceptually simple and can be built from low-cost materials.

"Ducted fuel injection could also be retrofitted onto existing engines," Mueller says. "This is especially important for large engines, such as those used in ships and locomotives where the engines can cost $1 million or more and converting to all-electric power is cost-prohibitive. A retrofit would be relatively inexpensive and could provide substantial emissions benefits right away."...

thanks! very interesting for sure + just what may be needed to bring more fuel efficient diesels into smaller cars + pickup trucks. diesel is king in europe but fuel subsidies surely help.

It would be a huge benefit if it can help eliminate some of the problem prone emissions equipment that is currently on 07 and newer on-road diesel engines.

There's gotta be more to this than merely a tweak on a direct injector design to include a 'duct'.

Or maybe it really is that simple. And for just the price of a new set of (direct) injectors...

I'm inclined to think that the OEMs would jump as fast as they possibly can at this, if it means they can delete or even significantly reduce the soot mitigation equipment they now have to install....

Originally Posted by pitzel
There's gotta be more to this than merely a tweak on a direct injector design to include a 'duct'.

Or maybe it really is that simple. And for just the price of a new set of (direct) injectors...

I'm inclined to think that the OEMs would jump as fast as they possibly can at this, if it means they can delete or even significantly reduce the soot mitigation equipment they now have to install....

If it's as efficient and easy to install as it sounds, it could really save a lot of money and and time, especially in fleet applications.

I loved efficiency of Diesel engine cars have owned before namely 2011 Tdi golf and older 1993 Mercedes 300d. The draconian emissions systems take a vital part away of diesel experience namely durability and longevity-since the emissions equipment is so darn expensive to replace. Would be awesome if this technology could be incorporated in meaningful and widespread manner.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
I loved efficiency of Diesel engine cars have owned before namely 2011 Tdi golf and older 1993 Mercedes 300d. The draconian emissions systems take a vital part away of diesel experience namely durability and longevity-since the emissions equipment is so darn expensive to replace. Would be awesome if this technology could be incorporated in meaningful and widespread manner.

Engines are becoming the same architecure...with one end being fueled with diesel, and the other being fuelled with petrol...bemoan the "loss" of both ends of the spectrum

Interesting but it may be a late to the party because policymakers are also focusing on reducing CO2 emissions. Don't expect this tech to filter down to light duty diesel passenger cars/trucks.

If they can get this setup on all those container ships that are burning bunker fuel and belching out mega pollution 24/7 that would be great. Instead they worry about our little passenger vehicles that in comparison put out virtually nothing.

Originally Posted by dareo
If they can get this setup on all those container ships that are burning bunker fuel and belching out mega pollution 24/7 that would be great. Instead they worry about our little passenger vehicles that in comparison put out virtually nothing.

They did, effective Jan 1, 2020 it's ULSD only.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

I did not know they made #2 fuel oil in ULSD.

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

I did not know they made #2 fuel oil in ULSD.

ok..It seems I misread the announcement. They're required to use VLSD (5000 ppm). Still it's a significant improvement over bunker fuel (5000 ppm vs 50,000 ppm).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-at-least-a-year-analysts-idUSKCN1TB2CJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back