Maintenance Doseage of Techron

I'm looking at buying a newer Hyundai Sonata SE and me being me was thinking about all the pedantic maintenance things I'm going to do to it.
Looking at datasheets, it looks like Techron Concentrated Fuel System cleaner probably has about at much PEA (datasheet says 25-45% but some anecdotes say probably ~32%) as Redline SI-1(~28-34%) and Redline recommends something like 1.5-2oz per 10 gallons of gasoline as maintenance treatment, so I was looking and there's that Techron marine fuel system treatment that's sold in 4oz bottles it appears to have the same concentration of PEA as regular Techron Concentrated and also some stuff that I guess is supposed to help stabilize ethanol fuel, I was wondering what peoples opinions are of using a 4oz bottle of this in the tank every fill up as a maintenance dose because it seems like a convenient way to add a small dose to the tank without having to pour out of a larger bottle and measure it out. A 4oz bottle of this cost about as much as a 12oz bottle of the regular though but with the 12oz I'd have to measure out a small amount and running a full 12oz bottle every tank would easily excede Chevron's recommendation of using a max of 5 bottles between oil changes, assuming I change the oil every 7500-10000mi and get about 500mi per 18.5gal tank using the 4oz bottles would be about the equivalent of using 4 or 5 20oz bottles over the OCI.

Buy the Sonata and just run Top Tier 50%+ of the time and enjoy the car. If piece of mind is what you're after, run Top Tier all the time and a bottle of your favorite PEA fuel injection cleaner every OCI.

I agree with wemay, just look for Top Tier fuel and then use an additive every so often if desired.
Let somebody else mix the detergents for you! ;^)
Costco is Top Tier if there is one near you, and some lesser known chains like Kwik Trip also sell TT gas.

Around here we have Shell, Marathon, Phillips 66, and BP among the Top tier places, I'm planning on avoiding the gas they sell at Wal-Mart, Meijer, Kroger, Speedway, etc.. Out of the options I'm leaning towards Shell the most. While possibly fouling up the injectors is possibly a problem I should probably be more worried about the GDI valve situation, you think it'd be excessive to run a can of CRC GDI Intake valve and turbo cleaner through the intake before every oil change.

Skip the additives. Really no need for them.

Nothing wrong with the gas sold by the (8) names you listed either, including the grocery stores or Speedway. I don't know about Marathons or BPs around you, but the ones here certainly don't advertise or claim that they sell Top Tier gas. You are more likely to get fresh fuel at the grocery store fuel stations and/or Speedway too.

If you're going to use additives over TT or say Chevron gasoline, do what the bottle says. Run tank down, dump in fuel additive, fill with gas, and bury the tach repeatedly. Ok, that last one was mine.
lol.gif
Don't mess with "maintenance" doses when wemay's advice will produce similar results with less fuss.

Run a full tank of 92 TT gasoline once in a while and you'll be fine. Maybe after 100K+ miles start thinking about treatment/maintenance, but until then i would not worry about it.

I remember back when Costco hasn't fully rolled out their CleanPower (now Kirkland Signature) program, they stated that stations were high volume and met all EPA requirements. They said that if the customer really insisted, they sold Chevron Pro-Gard.

I actually bought a case of Pro-Gard back when it was on special. I think it was less than $2 a bottle. It was supposed to treat up to 20 gallons but came in these big 20 oz bottles. I figured that the solvent was effectively just adding more fuel.

If you want to do "maintenance dosage", then get a bottle of Stabil, use that quickly in your car, lawnmower, etc.

Then refill that bottle with Techron, Redline, etc and you have something for measuring and dosing

You don't need Techron unless there is an issue with the fuel system getting dirty, and that will realistically only happen if the fuel is sitting for a length of time. Modern fuels are really pretty good, especially top tier.

These are direct cylinder injection, right? I thought the additives were mostly for intake valve deposits from manifold injection?

Originally Posted by nascarnation
These are direct cylinder injection, right? I thought the additives were mostly for intake valve deposits from manifold injection?

Correct, I haven't seen anything that says PEA is actually helpful in GDI.

I do, however - run TCW-III 2-cycle oil at 640:1 (1 oz per 5 gallons) in my GDI 2.4L Kia Optima to help keep things lubed and clean.

Originally Posted by Linctex

I do, however - run TCW-III 2-cycle oil at 640:1 (1 oz per 5 gallons) in my GDI 2.4L Kia Optima to help keep things lubed and clean.

There have been attempts to mitigate the GDI issues. One is to use supplemental port injectors, like the system Toyota has. The primary reason isn't to douse the intake valves, but it certainly can't hurt. I think the main reason is for better overall performance over a variety of operating conditions, including ones where port injection is more effective.

Haven't there also been coatings added to keep deposits from sticking? I thought that was the VW/Audi solution.

Even with GDI there should be some cleaning. It's not dousing the intake valves but there's going to be some fuel mist that reaches the intake valves. Obviously carbon buildup will come from the explosion reaching the intake valves. If the detergent action can survive the combustion process without fouling catalytic converters, that would be ideal.

Afton claims that their additives are of benefit for GDI engines. I haven't gone over their stuff including their white papers, but they have it in one place.

https://www.aftonchemical.com/Generic/Afton-GDI-Headquarters

Just buy gas from a high volume dealer. Based on complaints from recent model Sonatas, fuel issues are very low on the list. Plus Top Tier is a certification that companies pay for.

PEA helps protect against carbonous build up in the combustion chamber correct? So it should reduce build up on the injectors keeping them working at peak efficiency with the optimal spray pattern, right?

Originally Posted by dtownfb
Just buy gas from a high volume dealer. Based on complaints from recent model Sonatas, fuel issues are very low on the list. Plus Top Tier is a certification that companies pay for.

So go to the neighborhood Marathon station, on at least 3 occasions I've been filling up there and the pumps have slowed to a crawl and stopped because they ran out of fuel.

Originally Posted by blufeb95

PEA helps protect against carbonous build up in the combustion chamber correct? So it should reduce build up on the injectors keeping them working at peak efficiency with the optimal spray pattern, right?

Injector cleaning has never been an issue with GDI. The problem is that the usual means to clean up intake valves was to spray detergent gasoline with port injectors where that mist would pass over the valves. The PEA gets burned up during combustion. The problem with GDI is a lack of active detergents reaching the insides of the valves while the combustion byproducts still do.

I mentioned supplemental port injectors, which are primarily aimed at providing better overall performance, but has the side effect of spraying gasoline mist over the intake valves.

Back