'18 Ford FLex 30K drain and fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife's 2018 FLex is approaching 30k miles and per the owners manual and all the advice I have been given a transmission drain and fill is in order along with some other items. It seems simple, drain plug on bottom, fill with about 5+ quarts when done to dip stick full level... Other than the appropriate fluid type, what brand should I go for? Anyone know if its synthetic from the factory?

Thanks.

No need to bother with "when done to dip stick full level". Just check the fluid level sometime before you drain it to make sure you have the correct amount of ATF in the trans. Then measure exactly what comes out and pour that amount back in.

Originally Posted by cos
Then measure exactly what comes out and pour that amount back in.
No need for that on a car with a dipstick, just look up the specs to get close.

Nothing wrong with Mercon LV especially if you're changing it every 30k miles. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF and MAG1 LV ATF are both licensed - not "recommended" and not "acceptable for" - but fully licensed by Ford for LV applications.

Originally Posted by cos
No need to bother with "when done to dip stick full level". Just check the fluid level sometime before you drain it to make sure you have the correct amount of ATF in the trans. Then measure exactly what comes out and pour that amount back in.

If there's a dipstick, use it. Measuring the amount is certainly a good starting point and yes, it's what I would put back in first. Then I'd get it warm and ready to check the level using the dipstick for a final check.

Get a measuring bucket, if you don't already have one
smile.gif

Drain the fluid when cold, measure how much you drained, then refill with the same amount you drained.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Nothing wrong with Mercon LV especially if you're changing it every 30k miles. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF and MAG1 LV ATF are both licensed - not "recommended" and not "acceptable for" - but fully licensed by Ford for LV applications.

01.gif

Both of those are good stuff

The vehicle does have a dip stick so I am not worried about the quantity needed. More a good brand of ATF to use to replace what I drain out.

I would stick with OEM fluid. I mean really, how much are you spending, how often? Not worth saving a few dollars per year on aftermarket stuff that's generic formula for dozens of models. My $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back