Obsolete purolator disecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a whole case from RockAuto about a year ago of Purolator PL20081 because they can fit all my Chryslers and some Fords. This filter is obsolete and replaced by PL14670. I believe these filters come from the year 2001. I know some people are afraid of using old filters but I say why not. As you can see in the pictures there are no rust. The filter media held together and even the anti drain back valve will still flexible. I ran this particular filter on a 1988 Ford F-150 with a 5.0L after using Amazon 5w40 euro-spec. It stopped up the Purolator classic I had on it. Instead of changing the oil I just swapped using this old filter. Enjoy!!!

20200113_181630.jpg

20200113_181618.jpg

20200113_181504.jpg

20200113_181334.jpg

20200113_181327.jpg

20200113_181323.jpg

20200113_181313.jpg

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Wonder if deleting that string had anything to do with the future media issues..
During the 80s and 90s I used a lot of Purolators that did not have the string (or any tears after typically ~18k miles), and a few Frams that did have string. Ironically, that pattern must've reversed later, judging what I've seen on BitOG.

IMO those were the best Pure One filters they made. When they changed over to metal flake puke colored filters it was all down hill for them, imo.

Unless I missed it in several readings, I don't see an fci. Be good to know.

If you post the date code on the dome, manufacture date can be determined. Blue can P1 like topic, ~2008 or before. As long as storage environment decent, they can be serviceable for some time. Not surprised silicone adbv still flexible, those good for a long time.

The seam pleat spacing especially on one side, a tad wide in the pic. I only mention it because, because area of greatest failure for tears. Whatever the fci looks like this one got the job done. As for the assembly string, now I think mostly the larger diameter, bigger filters. Perhaps more earlier applications.

What "stopped up" the Classic?

Thanks for c&p.

Yes sir. The classic stopped up. The oil pressure had a delay after startup and pressure would fluctuate, then the engine would over heat with screeching sounds coming from the bottom end. I put this old pure one on it and resolved all those issues. Amazone euro 5w40 will clean a old engine. I'll check the date code when I get home. The boxes are copyright 2001 and look old and dusty.

Originally Posted by mpack88
I bought a whole case from RockAuto about a year ago of Purolator PL20081 because they can fit all my Chryslers and some Fords. This filter is obsolete and replaced by PL14670. I believe these filters come from the year 2001. I know some people are afraid of using old filters but I say why not. As you can see in the pictures there are no rust. The filter media held together and even the anti drain back valve will still flexible. I ran this particular filter on a 1988 Ford F-150 with a 5.0L after using Amazon 5w40 euro-spec. It stopped up the Purolator classic I had on it. Instead of changing the oil I just swapped using this old filter. Enjoy!!!

Maybe I missed it, but what oil and filter went back in and on? Great quality pics and thank you for c&p
smile.gif

on a 1988 Ford F-150 with a 5.0L after using Amazon 5w40 euro-spec. It stopped up the Purolator classic I had on it.

Yes sir. The classic stopped up. The oil pressure had a delay after startup and pressure would fluctuate, then the engine would over heat with screeching sounds coming from the bottom end.

Hmmmmmmm..........
smirk2.gif

And this:

I had a dodge aries wipe out its rod bearings and oil pump due to me using valvoline 20w50 and a 20°f. It can happen.

So it's not just Amazon oil.

Yup. Different time. That was 12 years ago.

Thank You for oil you used info and filter you replace P1 with kind sir
smile.gif

Yes sir. The classic stopped up. The oil pressure had a delay after startup and pressure would fluctuate, then the engine would over heat with screeching sounds coming from the bottom end. I put this old pure one on it and resolved all those issues. Amazone euro 5w40 will clean a old engine. I'll check the date code when I get home. The boxes are copyright 2001 and look old and dusty.

I'm not sure I accept what the result of your assertion would be here. If, as you claim, the media was "stopped up", the bypass element should have come into play nearly instantly. Hence it may not have got filtered oil, but it still would have got oil flow. I don't know how a "stopped up" filter would have flowed less oil at startup than any normal filter. For the engine to "overheat" it would have to run for several minutes; there is coolant, presumably. Are you insinuating that there was zero oil pressure or fluctuating oil pressure in the engine for several minutes? I find that hard to believe as a result of a "stopped up" filter.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on the filter change interval of topic filter. To me far more important than oil subsequently used, especially considering it is the topic. Someone once posted, a post use filter anecdote without an fci, pretty much meaningless. Hard to argue with that.

Also 2001 on box is when box print format first used, filter inside could well be much newer.

I'd add, I too very skeptical of the "stopped up" filter, and attributed result explanation.

Stopped up filter is my assumption. Could've been defective. Sense I was having oil pressure fluctuations I changed the filter and al km problems stopped. So it had to be something about that classic filter. As far as.my oil change intervals go, in the 5 years I owned it, I've changed it every year mostly with Castrol GTX 10w40. It was only when in switched to Amazon 5w40 euro that I experienced these problems. Coolant wasn't as issue. In fact the radiator is a 4 core installed by me last year with new hoses, clutch and new coolant. Something was wrong with that purolator classic.

Also the truck in only does about 3000 miles a year. This pure one ran 2700k. Pure Classic ran 300. Give or take. That's why I only changed the filter.

Stopped up filter is my assumption. Could've been defective. Sense I was having oil pressure fluctuations I changed the filter and al km problems stopped. So it had to be something about that classic filter. As far as.my oil change intervals go, in the 5 years I owned it, I've changed it every year mostly with Castrol GTX 10w40. It was only when in switched to Amazon 5w40 euro that I experienced these problems. Coolant wasn't as issue. In fact the radiator is a 4 core installed by me last year with new hoses, clutch and new coolant. Something was wrong with that purolator classic.

Also the truck in only does about 3000 miles a year. This pure one ran 2700k. Pure Classic ran 300. Give or take. That's why I only changed the filter.

Did you cut open the Classic that cause the "stoppage" of oil flow? I would have been MUCH more interested in seeing that.

Even if there were a defect in the Classic, that defect would have probably been (at least to satisfy your claim) a bad internal relief valve in the filter. But the oil pump is pretty much 100% positive displacement volume movement, and so that oil wasn't going to stop; the pump relief would have dumped to an open position, or the media in the filter would have been blown open with several tears. After only 300 miles of use, the Classic would have taken priority for a dissection in my mind. Where did that filter go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back