How to keep people from using driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Only one thing is really going to work remote opening gates.

^ This.

I've seen systems that use RFID strips you can just stick on your windshield. No batteries, no need to click a remote. All you have to do is drive up to the gate and it sees the tag and opens the gate.

But yeah, a remote gate is the thing to do IMO.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I saw a few of these when I was in the UK. Maybe I should market and sell remote control ones here for North America?

When we first got our current house, It was a frequent occurrence for people to drive or walk down our driveway, posted with 'Private Driveway' signs, and arrive at the area in front of the garage. Some people claimed they thought it was a public road, others stated they wanted to see where it went, some were indignant when informed they were on private property. So a nice fence and remotely operated gate later, no more people driving or walking down the driveway, for whatever purpose.

So I'd suggest a gate or gates.

Last edited:
Sounds like you either get the wifey to agree to close one end of the driveway or learn to live with it.

Toll Booth
cool.gif

most people don't read signs and if they do read them they couldn't care less..i have had people run over shrubs ,knock over my mail box and just drive thru the yard...tried about everything , if I could sit out there all day and night I guess I would just use what ever weapon I would choose for that day

Originally Posted by FT92
most people don't read signs and if they do read them they couldn't care less..i have had people run over shrubs ,knock over my mail box and just drive thru the yard...tried about everything , if I could sit out there all day and night I guess I would just use what ever weapon I would choose for that day

This is the truth. We had several solicitors over the summer. I put up a no soliciting sign and it did nothing at all.

Their knocking gets the dogs going and wakes the wife up.

Big heavy boulders. We lived on a corner lot and people kept cutting the corner short and driving through the grass. My dad's solution: boulders.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I saw a few of these when I was in the UK. Maybe I should market and sell remote control ones here for North America?

There's no limit to stupidity...

I saw a lot of those when I was in Europe. I didn't realize they were used in that way. Does the bus have an RF tag on it? Seems like a toll booth style gate would be more ideal and prevent something like this. Haha.

I have seen the style where the base is bolted to the ground and the actual post just hinges and is pinned when upright.

We have three entrances to our facility - manned during the day.
Only one is 24 hours but not manned 24 hours.
If you arrive too early … these are already raised behind the horizontal bar.
(larger than those pictured and maybe a meter spacing)
Either a windshield RFID or your badge is needed to lower.
A little creepy the first time.

Bollards are a good way to stop it happening in the first place

alternatively, if you are frustrated by a 'repeat offender'
1. put up a sign stating that 'vehicles parked without authorisation from the land owner will be removed'

2. keep your promise

3. either the police/council/local government or the local hoarder will recover the 'abandoned' car from the middle of the road in which it was dumped.

4. when they return to 'their parking space' to see the car is no longer there they will call the police who inform them that their vehicle is in the impound after it was abandoned in the street and recovered by 'the city'

you only have to do it three or four times and it will never happen again

Last edited:
As a child in the 70's up in the northern USA, drive gates were rare - - and typically meant for livestock control, not vehicle control.

Coming to Texas in the early 90's - drive gates are extremely common - - Nearly every rural area property has one.

"Mighty Mule" is *NOT* the best gate opener, by the way - - just the most common because it is cheap.

Originally Posted by Olas

Bollards are a good way to stop it happening in the first place

alternatively, if you are frustrated by a 'repeat offender'
1. put up a sign stating that 'vehicles parked without authorisation from the land owner will be removed'

2. keep your promise

3. either the police/council/local government or the local hoarder will recover the 'abandoned' car from the middle of the road in which it was dumped.

4. when they return to 'their parking space' to see the car is no longer there they will call the police who inform them that their vehicle is in the impound after it was abandoned in the street and recovered by 'the city'

you only have to do it three or four times and it will never happen again

By using my driving way I mainly mean driving in it. I've not had an issue with people parking and leaving their vehicles unattended. We live in the country with no close neighbors so that should never been an issue.

Do you want to do it cheap? or do it pretty?

Cheap: a chain across it, a cone in the middle, park an old car on it, etc.

Pretty: automated gate and a remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back