What is considered Modern Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by P10crew
I would define a modern engine as one that is computer controlled and fuel injected.

Then my 1985 Ford Ranger had a modern engine. It had both.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by P10crew
I would define a modern engine as one that is computer controlled and fuel injected.

Then my 1985 Ford Ranger had a modern engine. It had both.

What is the definition of computer for this?

The 1974 porsche 914 i had ,was L-jetronic fuel injected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino
The SBC from 1955 had a great run and the LS motors still carry that torch.

You do realize, that outside of bore spacing and the GM casting marks, the LS family in reality has more in common with the Windsor 302 of "5.0 Mustang" fame in the 80s than Gen 1 SBCs, right? 4 head bolts per cylinder, non-siamesed intake and exhaust ports, racers found the Windsor 302 firing order and cam lobe order actually makes more power than original LS one, long-runner intakes, hyd roller cam, etc. LS just "out-Windsored" Ford and made a dang good engine family in the process. It's the engine Ford should have designed instead of the 4.6 Modular for the '96 Mustang. And I was a yuge Mustang fan back then!

The Vokswagon type 3 had fuel injection in 1968 and they never went back to a carb. The Corvette of course tried injection in the mid 50's. They had to be modern engines.

My 90 gen 1 small block has tbi injection and an Ecu. In GM's line of work horse v8's that was the beginning of the "modern engine" this modern engine control has snow balled since.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Electric starter.

You know what ATI I bet when my grand dad saw his first electric start he probably did think "modern motor". So I'm going with your guess.

From today's perspective I'd say the vast majority of modern engines have the follow features:
-aluminuim block and head
-SOHC or DOHC head
-coil on plug ignition
-drive by wire throttle

Not absolutely every modern engine has all of these features as for instance GM's newest LS based V8's are still pushrod engines and some of the Gen IV LS engines still had iron blocks. I wouldn't include some newer features like direct injection or electric power steering as there are still quite a few new vehicles today that lack those features.

Originally Posted by brages
I think multi-port fuel injection, OBD2, and electronic ignition are kind of the baseline for modern engines, although it's a perspective thing I'm sure.

Other modern features:
aluminum block and heads
overhead cams (sorry GM fans)
four valves per cylinder
variable valve timing
direct injection

Sorry but overhead cams are older than pushrods.

Plastic, plastic, plastic. On the modern engine, there is nasty brittle plastic everywhere. On an old school engine there will be very little.

4 cylinders paired with at least a single turbo (sometimes with a twin or a supercharger in the mix).
The marketplace seems to be flooded with 'em!

To me a modern engine is one with fuel injection and electronic ignition.

In the motor-industry a modern engine is one that was built to comply with the most recent emissions legislation.

It seems like much of the current engine development is aimed at emissions co pliance whilst trying to maintain some degree of flexibility/drivabilty/power

Jeepers!

Gasoline fired, High static compression turbocharged with stratified Direct injection.

Why modern engine?

It's Valvoline's term for modified DP Synthetic oils.

LSPI occurs when lugging such an engine with low octane ( read: 87 E10) fuel.

Purported Fix
Remove 1/2 or more of the Calcium headed detergents in the oil.

HA!

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
4 cylinders paired with at least a single turbo (sometimes with a twin or a supercharger in the mix).
The marketplace seems to be flooded with 'em!

1997 Volvo 850?

1986 SAAB 99 Turbo?

1986 Subariu XT Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back