Toyota is recalling 2018 2019 vehicles for fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
The recall covers certain 2018 and 2019 Lexus LS 500, LC 500, RC 350, RC 300, GS 350, IS 300, LX 570, GX 460, RX 350, 4 Runner, Camry, Highlander, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Sienna, Tacoma, Tundra, Avalon, and Corolla.

I see Prius and I'm sure something else is missed... but how does it go across so many lines? I'm assuming this is like 10+ different p/n's. All from the same vendor? Maybe they all used the same electrical connector or something.

Originally Posted by supton
The recall covers certain 2018 and 2019 Lexus LS 500, LC 500, RC 350, RC 300, GS 350, IS 300, LX 570, GX 460, RX 350, 4 Runner, Camry, Highlander, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Sienna, Tacoma, Tundra, Avalon, and Corolla.

I see Prius and I'm sure something else is missed... but how does it go across so many lines? I'm assuming this is like 10+ different p/n's. All from the same vendor? Maybe they all used the same electrical connector or something.
In 2017 Toyota introduced their "Dynamic Force Engines" in many 2018 models which includes both direct and port dual fuel injection systems, called "D-4S dual-injection". I suspect that this new system may have something to do with the fuel pump recall. Toyota's Prius and other hybrids do not have the new dual fuel injection system. The D-4S dual-injection uses two fuel pumps, a low pressure pump and a high pressure pump. The currently available recall details do not specify which pump is failing. I suspect that it is the high pressure pump.
Other manufacturers including Subaru, Audi and even Ford are adopting the Toyota D-4S dual-injection system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
36.gif
No Supra eh?

13.gif
Took me a second.

cheers3.gif

BMW has also had fuel pump failures, some of them leading to recalls. One BMW model even had fuel pump failures that required replacement of the fuel tank at $9k, but was never recalled.

Clearly my point went right over your head. It's okay though.

In 2017 Toyota introduced their "Dynamic Force Engines" in many 2018 models which includes both direct and port dual fuel injection systems, called "D-4S dual-injection". I suspect that this new system may have something to do with the fuel pump recall. Toyota's Prius and other hybrids do not have the new dual fuel injection system. The D-4S dual-injection uses two fuel pumps, a low pressure pump and a high pressure pump. The currently available recall details do not specify which pump is failing. I suspect that it is the high pressure pump.
Other manufacturers including Subaru, Audi and even Ford are adopting the Toyota D-4S dual-injection system.

Ah, there is the tie then, I was thinking of an in-tank fuel pump. Closer to the engine they might have more parts reuse.

Happens to everyone. I will be curious to see what pump it actually is. Some of those pumps are pricey!
I now when the Malibu got that tank of water and they had to drop, drain and reinstall the tank it was 560 bucks with no parts.

Knock on wood. I have been pretty lucky with recalls on my cars.

My 02 Silverado had one for the cables that hold the tailgate.

all my 3800 cars had it on the valve cover gaskets, the 04 had the key recall.

The Caprice has electric steering and only the 2014 model had a recall to replace the rack for intermittent loss of power steering, the contacts were bad.

I don't think the 2017 Silverado has any, the Malibu has not had any. The Trans Am didn't have any. I don't care what anyone says but except for the rear end being crap they got the Trans Am right for its intended purpose.

How sweet is that, that Toyota is stepping up and swapping them out?

Late model Nissans (as well as other make/models) poop out ridiculously early in life due to failed FSUs every day and replacements aren't free, nor are the manufacturers stepping up.

The 4Runner, Landcruiser, GX460, LX570, Tundra, and Sequoia don't have a D-4S system at this point in time. I'm also curious as to what part(s) exactly is/are the point of concern.

Both direct and port injection were present in Toyota models since 2005 in 2GR-FSE engines. Only addition in 2016 is Atkinson cycle bcs. FSE engines were too fast for customers.

Originally Posted by JTK
How sweet is that, that Toyota is stepping up and swapping them out?

Late model Nissans (as well as other make/models) poop out ridiculously early in life due to failed FSUs every day and replacements aren't free, nor are the manufacturers stepping up.

It is safety concern. That is why they MUST do recall. Ask 53,xxx customers of HL and Sienna AWD about 8 speed transmissions. They ain't gonna see recall. Toyota does recalls only when they must, otherwise you know, reputation.

Originally Posted by 02SE

The 4Runner, Landcruiser, GX460, LX570, Tundra, and Sequoia don't have a D-4S system at this point in time. I'm also curious as to what part(s) exactly is/are the point of concern.
Right you are!
But, those engines do have direct injection, which would imply that it is the high pressure fuel pump (or associated electrics) that is the problem.

The 5.7 (3UR-FE, 3UR-FBE) does not use direct injection (Tundra, Sequoia, LX570).

Right you are!
But, those engines do have direct injection, which would imply that it is the high pressure fuel pump (or associated electrics) that is the problem.

Right you are!

None of the engines in those specific vehicles are direct injection. They are all port fuel injection.

Last edited:

Right you are!

None of the engines in those specific vehicles are direct injection. They are all port fuel injection.
I misread the specs, sorry. I thought that TDI stood for direct injection, it really stands for Toyota Direct Ignition. I guess that blows my theory.

Originally Posted by dave1251
ALL auto manufacturers have recalls. Toyota is not immune. Todays vehicles are extremely complex machines. The thing that surprises me is that there aren't MORE recalls.

Toyota is immune haven't you seen Scotty Kilmer's YouTube channel?

Even scotty isn't a huge fan of the new toyotas. Ne loves the late 90s to early 2000s ones. And with good reason.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
36.gif
No Supra eh?

13.gif
Took me a second.

cheers3.gif

BMW has also had fuel pump failures, some of them leading to recalls. One BMW model even had fuel pump failures that required replacement of the fuel tank at $9k, but was never recalled.

Which BMW is that and that failure is not on a diesel due to fuel?
BMW had HPFP problems, but pump is around $500 and actually BMW NA has seep discounts on those pumps.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Which BMW is that and that failure is not on a diesel due to fuel?
BMW had HPFP problems, but pump is around $500 and actually BMW NA has seep discounts on those pumps.
Early to mid 2000's 3 Series SULEV models (California emission system cars). The fuel pump and fuel filter were built into the fuel tank, they were not removable, and required replacement of the fuel tank when either one failed. I ran across one of these cars about 10 years ago. It was a $9000 repair back then. The replacement price has dropped to about $7500 P&L. The BMW community has devised a hack for this, substituting non-SULEV car parts, but it is illegal to do it. I can't figure out what the BMW engineers were thinking about when they did this. The PCV valve built into the valve cover was another one of their idiotic ideas.

Last edited:
Makes me question fuel pump designs.

Make a fuel pump permanent part of the gas tank, but please design it to last 500k, and run for 30 minutes dry without burning up!

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Makes me question fuel pump designs.

Make a fuel pump permanent part of the gas tank, but please design it to last 500k, and run for 30 minutes dry without burning up!

Are these permanent? The Toyota ones?

Last edited:
Only in a Toyota recall thread will the problems of a German car become a thing. I know my Camry stalled on the freeway but look at your BMW!!!!

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Only in a Toyota recall thread will the problems of a German car become a thing. I know my Camry stalled on the freeway but look at your BMW!!!!

That is how Toyota is sold. The guy in Toyota dealership literally told me that donut tire is $315 because it is from Toyota dealership, after my remark that I paid 18" (this was 17" in Toyota dealership) donut fro BMW in BMW dealership $129.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back