-40 Celsius and 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Yep, pour point was a "what the hey comment". CCS rules for the real life experience. The guys in Edmonton will experience that tonight as it is going to -37 F.

I actually enjoy a cold winter, but I'm glad that this air mass is not quite going to make it into New England.
Too warm here lately, but I know the wind chills are going way down soon (but nothing like Edmonton).

Originally Posted by PimTac
At those kinds of temps and even before that it just makes good sense to take proactive measures like a block or pan heater along with other actions.

Oooh you got that right. I find that with a good battery and decent oil you're generally OK to let the vehicle do it's thing up until about -25c as it tends to be for rather short stints at that temp around my area. After that it seems to really benefit from block heaters, battery blankets, oil pan heaters etc.

At those kinds of temps and even before that it just makes good sense to take proactive measures like a block or pan heater along with other actions.

one of the reasons I miss my X5 35d is that it had PTC heater. I cranked that thing as low as -37c, put full heat and in 5sec it is there.
Not sure how much would be PTC heater to install as OE in cars, but it is best thing for cold areas.

Hi Lads
It is difficult for me to even imagine the kind of temperatures you lads have to endure. Coldest I have experienced was -20c when hunting in Scotland.

When I was a lad back in the 60s and early 70s we had lots of snow. We can go whole winters now with nothing. Climate change is real.
All the cars back then ran 20w-50!

Sorry for swerving off topic slightly. Keep safe lads.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It's currently -33 F in Edmonton, a city of over a million people. That's a lot of block heaters.
laugh.gif

Good thing they have plenty of solar and wind power generation. ...‚...‚

LMAO!!!

This was Alberta yesterday. Wind was completely AWOL:
[Linked Image]

This was also the case, all the way across the other end of the country, in coastal Nova Scotia:
[Linked Image]

Awesome data unless your on the Greta boat.

Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi Lads
It is difficult for me to even imagine the kind of temperatures you lads have to endure. Coldest I have experienced was -20c when hunting in Scotland.

When I was a lad back in the 60s and early 70s we had lots of snow. We can go whole winters now with nothing. Climate change is real.

I thought it was global warming?

Originally Posted by Marco620
Hi Lads

I am not sure you guys in KS experience this, since things generally avoid KS.

Just got back from a delivery to Saskatoon. Stayed in the truck overnight at -22F. Not too bad, since I let it idle all night. I didn't even get in the sleeping bag; just used a light blanket. I was glad to get the delivery done on Monday, since it was going down to -26F on Tuesday, and -33F Wednesday.

Hi Lads

Hi Marco
Well I can't speak for you lads in the states but the climate is definitely changing in Britain. We can go whole Winters now with only insignificant snowfall whereas back in the 60s, 70s and early 80s we would have significant falls every Winter. I am not convinced the change is man made but it is happening here.
Britain has the same latitude as Canada but we are warmed by the Gulf Stream. Maybe something is happening there.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by OilUzer

... I have a scientist co-worker who told me that ALL engine oils (syn or EVEN dino), perform exactly the same @ -40°F vs. -40°C

Unfortunately, we may get to test that theory tonight ... the second number is windchill, in Celsius, which at these temps, is about the same as Fahrenheit.

Have mercy ...

[Linked Image]

In case it hasn't been noted I don't believe engine oil in a sump or anywhere else for that matter is affected by wind chill. Also (side note) at -40 degrees is where Celsius catches up to and surpasses farenheit temps, eg: -50c = -58f

Hi Lads

-2 to +10 celsius overhere...zero snow and winter in january.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back