Would you really help out a STRANGER Jump Start / Change Flat Tire / Buy Gas ?

When I first moved to FL. in 1987 I always cashed my checks on Friday afternoons after work. One time a man came up to my window and asked to borrow $13 for a new fan belt. I told him to just get in and we can go get it. He said he could not because his wife and kids were waiting for him in his truck. Right across the street was an AZ. I told him I would go to the AZ and buy the belt myself. He started getting mad and walked away. I just sat in my truck to see what his next move was. He got some money from another stranger, went into the little store next to the bank, and came out with a brown paper bag. Next thing you know, it was bottoms up.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
At a Starbucks, your odds of finding someone with a CLUE about cars is almost zero

There is a Starbucks in the Kroger I shop at here in La. The people sit there and do whatever on their laptops, smart/I-phones, tablets, etc. and have no worries about what is happening in the world. 95% of them don't look like a day over 25 and probably don't even know where their car battery is!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
When I first moved to FL. in 1987 I always cashed my checks on Friday afternoons after work. One time a man came up to my window and asked to borrow $13 for a new fan belt. I told him to just get in and we can go get it. He said he could not because his wife and kids were waiting for him in his truck. Right across the street was an AZ. I told him I would go to the AZ and buy the belt myself. He started getting mad and walked away. I just sat in my truck to see what his next move was. He got some money from another stranger, went into the little store next to the bank, and came out with a brown paper bag. Next thing you know, it was bottoms up.

One variation on that is the getting stuck and need train fare back home at the train station while eating lunch. I told the kid he was in luck as traveler's aid was right across the street from the train station which it was and he could just go there and they'd help him. He said oh, thanks. Then he moved on to the next table with the same story.

The need money for gas is an old scam, haven't heard that one in a long time, but it still gets used.

I will offer to jump start if people have cables. I just don't carry cables anymore and I only get a request every couple of years. No one who has ever asked me for a jump ever appeared sketchy so I always gave people a jump when asked.

I will help call AAA and let them use my AAA, that's it. I would not touch another person's car, because I may screw up and make it worse, and they may sue me instead of AAA.

My most recent trip to the gas station, I witnessed a gentleman buying cigarettes, snacks and a drink from the cashier. When he was done, he noticed me at a gas pump, and asked for $10 for gas, so he could get home to his house 25 miles away. I said sure, if you'll buy me some snacks and a drink first. The error of his plan seemed to dawn on him... he swore at me, and stomped off. I wished him a nice day.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I won't do the "buy gas" thing. I've seen that scam several times. But, jump start and help with flat I will do any time I can. Makes me feel great to help someone out. I've had some great conversations with some of those people. I also believe in the Karma thing regarding this. The few times I've been stranded on the side of the road I've had someone stop to help me within 5 minutes. What goes around comes around!

thankyou2.gif

Thanks to everyone for all their replies and contributions of insight with years of real world experience.

Recalling from yesterday morning: lady had a K-series motor, so it was a MY 2009 or older, vehicles today look cookie cutter, so it was not a late model... When she turned it over there was just a slight hint of hesitation confirms not enough starting juice in her battery and it was straining my jump starter in freezing temperature. 95+% sure it was not some devious elaborate scam. Inherent risks will always exist.

TRUST is a obvious a major issue and one has to DISCERN the situation.

If it has been deemed a SAFE SITUATION for yourself and/or other with you, after considering the LIABILITY, and after considering all INHERENT RISKS involved, meaning being scammed, damaged to property, loss of life or limb... If you have an URGE TO HELP... TRUST BUT VERIFY.

1. ask STRANGER to attempt to start the vehicle before bringing cables or jump-box, (I'm pretty roadside assistance asks of this too, maybe after sitting for awhile batter voltage comes back up). If they REFUSE and start running their mouths, walk away from the DANGER! there is no way to verify their story unless you have them try, or hook up a multimeter or have one of the higher end jump starters with built in voltmeter (ie. NOCO Genuis).

2. never ever give in to strangers begging of 'needing gas', they have roadside assistance for that.

3. consider the fact that most tow-truck/wrecker/road-side-assistance drivers PACK HEAT!

Remember the term STRANGER DANGER from since we were kids is still VALID
smile.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

I helped out a co worker today that has a 99' Subaru that the oil pump is on way out. Gave him few quarts of CASTROL HM 20w50 and a filter that will fit his car. They were from my stash.

Yes, many times including giving a motorcycle rider a ride to the nearest gas station. I guess he overestimated the reserve?

A couple other notable examples...

Was driving in my pickup down I-5 in Orange County, CA when I saw a biker on the side of the road. I stopped and he told me he was from San Diego out on a ride with his wife when his bike broke down. Was a nice looking Shovelhead as I recall, however I don't remember what the issue was, this was a long time ago when I lived in CA. Anyway, he said his wife was with another passerby heading to the local bike shop to have it trailered to the shop but would appreciate me hanging out. I had time on my hands, so no problem. Wife shows up saying no trailer was available and shop was closing or some such. The other passerby offered to let him bring his bike to his house until he made other arrangements. I had a pickup, so the three of us hoisted it in the bed, strapped it in, and off we went. When I dropped him and his bike off, he handed me a business card from his club (I think he was an officer of the club but the memory is a bit fuzzy) and said if I was ever in San Diego and needed help to look him up.

The other was on a sunny afternoon in the parking lot after a Colorado Rockies game with my son. I'm walking to the car in the lot and there's this guy with his daughter, maybe around 10 years old or so, staring at his VW with coolant puked all over. I chat with him for a few minutes and find out he's from Colorado Springs and being a weekend late afternoon/early evening, there's no way he's getting a shop to do any work that day. My observation was the upper radiator hose had blown so I offered to leave him there, go buy a hose and replace it since it looked pretty straightforward. No guarantees whatsoever but I'd do that much for him and he agreed. So off I went, dropped my son off at home, bought the hose and a jug of coolant which he reimbursed me for, and went back and fixed it. Needless to say he was more than pleased and very grateful.

Good advice from other posters about being careful, out in busy visible areas, being cautious and alert, etc., etc., but these were times when I felt comfortable and safe to do a good deed.

Originally Posted by TMoto
Yes, many times including giving a motorcycle rider a ride to the nearest gas station. I guess he overestimated the reserve?

A couple other notable examples...

Was driving in my pickup down I-5 in Orange County, CA when I saw a biker on the side of the road. I stopped and he told me he was from San Diego out on a ride with his wife when his bike broke down. Was a nice looking Shovelhead as I recall, however I don't remember what the issue was, this was a long time ago when I lived in CA. Anyway, he said his wife was with another passerby heading to the local bike shop to have it trailered to the shop but would appreciate me hanging out. I had time on my hands, so no problem. Wife shows up saying no trailer was available and shop was closing or some such. The other passerby offered to let him bring his bike to his house until he made other arrangements. I had a pickup, so the three of us hoisted it in the bed, strapped it in, and off we went. When I dropped him and his bike off, he handed me a business card from his club (I think he was an officer of the club but the memory is a bit fuzzy) and said if I was ever in San Diego and needed help to look him up.

The other was on a sunny afternoon in the parking lot after a Colorado Rockies game with my son. I'm walking to the car in the lot and there's this guy with his daughter, maybe around 10 years old or so, staring at his VW with coolant puked all over. I chat with him for a few minutes and find out he's from Colorado Springs and being a weekend late afternoon/early evening, there's no way he's getting a shop to do any work that day. My observation was the upper radiator hose had blown so I offered to leave him there, go buy a hose and replace it since it looked pretty straightforward. No guarantees whatsoever but I'd do that much for him and he agreed. So off I went, dropped my son off at home, bought the hose and a jug of coolant which he reimbursed me for, and went back and fixed it. Needless to say he was more than pleased and very grateful.

Good advice from other posters about being careful, out in busy visible areas, being cautious and alert, etc., etc., but these were times when I felt comfortable and safe to do a good deed.

45.gif
WOW
48.gif

01.gif
Now that's above and beyond
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by P10crew
If the situation looks legit yes I would help. Concealed carry always. Very concealed.

My issue with this is that you never know what the other person knows, and CCW by nature is reactionary. They will pick when to engage etc and a knife can get into play very very fast from a few ft away vs. IWB carried pistols. Especially if the knife holder is who plans the attack. CC pistols are a tool, not a talisman, and I fear many overestimate their value. Look at all the dead officers who were ambushed. They were carrying too.

I have helped stranded motorist and bikers a few times over the years. Now with C-19 I do not get close to anyone. Just last month a neighbor had her vehicle die at an intersection near my house. I had jumped started her vehicle many years ago. My next door neighbor who is a very personable person and knows everyone in the neighborhood, and who I have helped many times with wiring in her house, and other things, nocked on my door and told me about the car that stalled at the intersection and from my door I could see the stranded neighbor woman. I did not open the glass screen door. I told my next door neighbor that I am sorry but now I will not jump start anyone. Some of my neighbors do not take staying far away from each other and wearing a mask seriously, and I am not about to put my self in a situation where they will get near me. After I'm vaccinated and had time for it to kick in, then if someone needed help I would help them if the situation was safe. But for now, I will let them find help from someone else, and it took a while but she did find help from someone else.

When I was getting gas last month someone on a motorcycle in a different lane of the gas-station asked me for a few dollars for gas. He was not wearing a mask. I knew if I helped him he would be getting closer to me. Because of that, I did not give helping him a though. I had to tell him no.

Once there were two very old ladies in a small 4 door car stalled on Lebanon Church road by Target near Allegheny County airport. There car would crank but not run. I looked at the gas gauge and it was on E. Another man around my age stopped after I stopped. Without the engine running the car did not have power steering or power brakes. He also knew about cars, and we very briefly talked and agreed that the best thing to do was to get the car off the road and into a use car lot. It only required a little push to get it moving and he drifted it into the used car lot. The two old women had a cell phone and said they would call someone they knew to get them to bring gas.

I have changed a flat tire for an older neighbor, and cut a stripped lug nut off an other neighbors vehicle with my Dremel without damaging the rim.

I actual traveled several miles out of my way once to borrow a gas can and get gas for someone stranded on a motorcycle. But last month I was in South Park and a young man was pushing his motorcycle. Normally I would have stopped and asked him if I could help. But now days I had to pass him by.

And I have used my very heavy home made jumper cables to help people several times. One thing I will put out there for everyone who jump starts any vehicle is to "ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST ONE GALLON OF CLEAN WATER ON HAND TO DUMP ON YOU FACE IF THE BATTERY EXPLODES." And do not let anyone who does not have to be near the battery of either the good vehicle or the bad vehicle stand any where near the batteries. It is rare, probably something like 1 out of 10,000 times that a battery explodes when being jumped, but it does happen. I actually saw it happen once. I was in my house sick and resting on the couch watching a neighbor jump start his dead truck. The young man was an electronic engineering student, and the bad battery exploded and the acid flew everywhere. Some of it hit him directly, and some of it bounced off the bottom of the hood and hit him. He ran into his house and got under the shower. The next day I spoke to him and he said that he had the polarity correct, but when he made the final connection it exploded. At the time I was concentrating on the dangers of the acid and did not think to ask him if that last connection was the ground and made to the frame or the engine far from the battery?

The last time I jump started a vehicle there was a young boy who wanted to watch. I told him that very rarely when you make the last connection the bad battery will explode and rain acid everywhere. And told him to sand very far away.

Seriously, if you do not have at least one gallon of clean water handy to dump on your face, you would be better off not jump-starting a vehicle.

Last edited:
That's better than doing bad things to good people.

Yeh... I would still be generous and nice, I did help out some young kids with a jump in a Kroger parking lot and they were happy. They didn't know if they could then drive for a long trip (back to Kansas.) I told them, yes.. just don't turn the car off until the tank is low and it is time to refuel!

I was offered $30 recently to change the low beam bulb of a Silverado, in the parking lot of an Autozone. I guess the employees won’t advise on bulbs and the guy and his wife had no idea.

If I see someone with an issue, I generally at least go to say hello. Sometimes I can help.

Recently there were two guys on my street with a flat rear tire. It turned out one of the lugs was stripped. They were done for, and going to have to get a tow, but I came out with my stripped lug removal tool and we got it off. Why not help? It was first thing in the morning on a weekend, not some time when I’m dressed up and late for work.

The few times that I’ve been stopped on the side of the road, most times someone else has stopped and offered to help if they could. There is still some goodness in people.

I help strangers jump start their vehicles in parking lots all the time. I always carry jumper cables in the car and in all cars owned by family members. Last time I helped someone was in a hospital parking lot.

Back