Kirkland 5w 30 oil specs from Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Looks like Mag1 and SuperTech.

+1

Look at the "typical values" for Mag1 5w-30. I see very little difference between the Kirkland oil and this:

911C7D6E-EEDC-4074-831B-4F1A52E073CB.jpeg

7A917C4A-1765-4F0F-9682-66257342922C.jpeg

When I asked if it was the same oil as Mag 1 Warren avoided the question and just sent me the product data sheet so I could decide

Originally Posted by tblt44
When I asked if it was the same oil as Mag 1 Warren avoided the question and just sent me the product data sheet so I could decide

So you have side by side data ?

Originally Posted by 4WD

So you have side by side data ?

Look at what they sent tblt44 per his OP, then compare it to the values I obtained on the Mag1 site.

I could be wrong but I dont believe Warren is a complex operation or has a lot of formulations. Its a budget operation and its the same oil with a different wrapper.

Originally Posted by Navi
I could be wrong but I dont believe Warren is a complex operation or has a lot of formulations. Its a budget operation and its the same oil with a different wrapper.

I guess it all depends on what the meaning of budget is.

https://youtu.be/Q-qhNGbtZPI

I know it looks impressive but if you compare it next to lets say Mobil 1 that would give you perspective.

I know it looks impressive but if you compare it next to lets say Mobil 1 that would give you perspective.

Compare it how?

[

Warren's a blender/packager just like Valvoline, and XOM is a refiner of many petroleum products, R&D, packager, distributor and blender, so there are going to be differences in scale/operations. So what's your point?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Compare it how?

Exactly...XOM doesn't provide anything close to that level of detailed information.
You could look at something like the Russian Oil Club, but it might be hard to find the exact oil you want and the info might be old.

I don't buy from them much for (blank) reasons … but Citgo/Mystik make some good lubes and detailed info.
Here is marine stuff I posted before

7C74FDC6-F848-4F0F-9002-EC84ACA9A25D.jpeg

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Its going to be interesting to see some UOA on this.

Meets D1G2 and is already in use under several other labels, so I'm going to go out on a very thick limb and say we could collect 1000 UOA samples, crunch the data, and we would see that there is a 99.5% chance or greater this oil is statistically identical to every other D1G2-approved oil. /subtle sarcasm

What info exactly are you hoping will be interesting? I'm just interested in what you think will be different with this oil?

Right you are! This Kirkland 5W-30 is going in my commuter car's engine in about a month.
And I thought QSUD was a good deal... this $12.50 / jug Kirkland oil just kills QSUD.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by 4WD
Spell check for "best" ? He has surely been searching best for the EcoBoost

If he would have Googled "Ecoboost", he wouldn't have bought an Ecoboost.

Why not? Solid, efficient, powerful, motors. Quite the home run for Ford Motor Company, I'd say.

Navi,...... It's actually very easy- pick an oil that meets required specs, and use it. Yes,
Change any spec oil at the severe service interval, run the filter for 2x OCI, and never worry about the unnecessary added cost of "outstanding" oil again.

100% accurate!
01.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
Pfft 18 years. That's two years less than my newest vehicle.

I've never used a UOA to see "how good" an oil is, I have done them to look for coolant or fuel contamination. But as a quality check? That's what the licenses, certifications and approvals are for.

+1 and good info sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SteveG4

And I thought QSUD was a good deal... this $12.50 / jug Kirkland oil just kills QSUD.

For a "full synthetic" (Group III?) oil, it's a pretty good deal, indeed.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Its going to be interesting to see some UOA on this.

Meets D1G2 and is already in use under several other labels, so I'm going to go out on a very thick limb and say we could collect 1000 UOA samples, crunch the data, and we would see that there is a 99.5% chance or greater this oil is statistically identical to every other D1G2-approved oil. /subtle sarcasm

What info exactly are you hoping will be interesting? I'm just interested in what you think will be different with this oil?

Right you are! This Kirkland 5W-30 is going in my commuter car's engine in about a month.

I think i understand this logic. So, I should instead buy the Chevron 5w-30 conventional (dino) oil on sale at my local Costco, @ $1.67/quart, because it meets the Ford spec for my 2010 V6, rather than spend $2.50/quart for the Kirkland full synthetic. And I'll plan to run OCI of 7,500 miles, b/c that's what the owner's manual says for regular service (my use). Cool beans . . . .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wdn
Does Costco also sell a 0W20 oil?

I think they do but my Costco only had 5w 30 for 24.99 for 2 5 quart containers.

Interesting- all the Kirkland oils at my Costco are $29.99 for 2 5qt jugs.

EDIT> Aaaahhh I see they had a special $5 off that has ended. Missed it by that much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back