Is this why it won't start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Out of a generator in an RV. Ran fine 8 years ago, after which it wouldn't even crank. This week I got it to crank after cleaning the terminals on the control board. It just won't start even with some starting fluid, so I assume it's an ignition problem. Pulled the plugs and they look carbon fouled. Would this be enough to prevent a spark?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Ran fine 8 years ago. You might consider an OCI as well. Show us a picture of it.

I'll do an oil change once it's running and the oil is good and hot.

Look in air cleaner and intake for mice nests.

Once you get it going you need to sit and watch until its fully hot for any smoke from mice nests in cooling fins, etc. Fire extinguisher in hand.

Originally Posted by andyd
If plugs externals are any indication I would I would R+R coil and wire wheel the legs while it is off.
grin2.gif

Won't accomplish anything.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Out of a generator in an RV. Ran fine 8 years ago, after which it wouldn't even crank. This week I got it to crank after cleaning the terminals on the control board. It just won't start even with some starting fluid, so I assume it's an ignition problem. Pulled the plugs and they look carbon fouled. Would this be enough to prevent a spark?

You have the plugs out , replace them . Not a whole lot of money .

You have been given a lot of good advice . Best of luck to you ! :)

I have the same exact Onan "Emerald III" in my motorhome.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Looks like you have it set for "summer". Try setting it for "winter" and see what happens.

That's just warm air for the carburetor, nothing more.
They run just fine on "summer" 99.9% of the time.
It's best to leave it in "summer" unless you have carb ice problems.

Put in the plugs. No change. Tested the coil by the manual and it's good. Points and condenser next. Access is the biggest problem as none of these parts are on the front and there is only 3 inches clearance everywhere else. I had to use a mirror and wrench by feel to get the coil out.

It usually isn't hard to remove the whole genset from the RV to work on it.

Does it fire sparks? Test with a different plug that you know is good. If both plugs are driven by the same coil they have to both be connected and grounded for either one to fire.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Put in the plugs. No change. Tested the coil by the manual and it's good. Points and condenser next. Access is the biggest problem as none of these parts are on the front and there is only 3 inches clearance everywhere else. I had to use a mirror and wrench by feel to get the coil out.

I would bet all you will have to do is work a piece of emory cloth then a dollar bill between the points and you will have spark. If the engine is stored with the points open, they corrode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back