Motocross bikes & T4 users, quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using Rotella T4 15w40 in the dirtbikes with good success. However, Rural King has Valvoline Premium Blue on sale right now so I was wondering if there is an advantage of premium blue over rotella?

"Currently using Rotella T4 15w40 in the dirtbikes with good success" -

Valvoline Premium Blue is on sale for $11.99/Gallon

Rotella 15w40 is currently $13.49/Gallon at Rural King.

Is $1.50 worth it?

This will be in the engine side only. Just wondering if maybe the add pack in premium blue is better than rotella, im not sure.

Originally Posted by Spktyr
Premium Blue does not meet JASO MA/MB and therefore may not be wet clutch safe.

this is about the worst information possible

there is NOTHING. i repeat NOTHING about a non-jaso oil that that creates it to be non-wet clutch safe

as a matter of fact, most of the manuals only call out - do not use Energy Conserving II - which i have never seen labled on a bottle...ever.
ive seen EC, but never EC II.

for more than a decade shell rotella t 15w40 was not labled jaso and yet it never harmed one clutch
same for mobil1 15w40 redcap
or
ANY OIL before the jaso standard was created!!! ohhhhh how about that for REAL info.

Originally Posted by sunruh
Originally Posted by Spktyr
Premium Blue does not meet JASO MA/MB and therefore may not be wet clutch safe.

this is about the worst information possible

there is NOTHING. i repeat NOTHING about a non-jaso oil that that creates it to be non-wet clutch safe

as a matter of fact, most of the manuals only call out - do not use Energy Conserving II - which i have never seen labled on a bottle...ever.
ive seen EC, but never EC II.

for more than a decade shell rotella t 15w40 was not labled jaso and yet it never harmed one clutch
same for mobil1 15w40 redcap
or
ANY OIL before the jaso standard was created!!! ohhhhh how about that for REAL info.

You missed the "may" part in my statement and then went all Scotty Kilmer ballistic. I suggest you do what Kilmer does and crawl under a vehicle that's supported only on a hydraulic jack, then rant loudly and shake the car as he does.

Regarding Energy Conserving II - it was replaced with SJ. See:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=72549

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/110710/Re:_Energy_Conserving_II

Just how old are the bikes you're looking at that you're seeing "Energy Conserving II" in manuals? My daily driver bike was made in 02 and in the manual it does specifically call out JASO-MA and against the use of Energy Conserving, just like most bikes made in the last nearly two decades:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

For the rest of us, the MA/MB cert means that a post API-SG oil is inherently wet-clutch safe and you need look no further, use with confidence in your motorcycle without worrying about it killing the wet clutch. Other non-MA/MB oils may be okay, as Rotella T was, but they may not be. If you wish to use an oil that does not state that it meets MA/MB, you can either use it and hope it doesn't kill your clutch (but be ready to replace it if the oil does), you can contact the manufacturer and ask, or you can do extensive internet research and find out what people's experience with it is (in order of effort required.) Point is, without JASO-MA/MB on the bottle, you don't inherently know. "Do ya feel lucky, punk? Eh? Do ya?"

By the way? Mobil 1 15W50 redcap SH wiped out a relatively new clutch on a CB750 I had. The break point was SG - the last API designation that was specifically wet clutch compatible. That was an expensive discovery.

Last edited:
All of my Japanese bikes have a shared sump.

All of them get whatever 15W-40 I can find for cheap.

i have never looked for the JASO spec......EVER.

Never had a problem..... ever.

The only oil that has ever made a Japanese bike clutch slip was "Mobil 1 10W-40T" bike oil.

I went back to running the cheapest 15W-40 oil again, and no problems.

Originally Posted by Linctex
All of my Japanese bikes have a shared sump.

All of them get whatever 15W-40 I can find for cheap.

i have never looked for the JASO spec......EVER.

Never had a problem..... ever.

The only oil that has ever made a Japanese bike clutch slip was "Mobil 1 10W-40T" bike oil.

I went back to running the cheapest 15W-40 oil again, and no problems.

Dunno what to tell you on the M1 bike oil, but 15W and up oil tends to be non-energy-conserving and is often safe for wet clutch use - but that's not 100%. Some of them emphatically aren't and none of the 10 or lower weight oils are (these days) unless they specifically state that. My friends and I found that out the hard way between the conversion from SG to SH-SJ-SL. Lots of people had clutches go at that time, and that problem continues to today. Some bikes can't use or don't like 15W due to how the engine was made or simply what happens to shift quality on thicker oil.

Again, if it says it's MA/MB certified, it's guaranteed to be safe for wet clutches. Doesn't mean you can't use something else (I used Rotella T before it got the MA cert because if you asked Shell they would tell you that it met the spec, its just that they hadn't bothered to get the certification), just saying that the MA/MB cert means you don't have to guess or do research if you have a wet clutch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
So is Premium Blue any better than T4 in a motocross bike application?

Better at what?

Since you are at rural king... take a look at Mystik 15w50.. it gives great reports and i think its a value oil.

I have no idea if its better.. it just looks good on paper in other guys bikes.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
So is Premium Blue any better than T4 in a motocross bike application?

Better at what?

Since you are at rural king... take a look at Mystik 15w50.. it gives great reports and i think its a value oil.

I have no idea if its better.. it just looks good on paper in other guys bikes.

I agree and while you checkout Mystik oil checkout Harvest King oil, both are CITGO products.

FastGame: great point
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back