Engine swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 09 altima has reached a new level of oil consumption at 125k. This car has used oil since day 1 but never enough to appease Nissan. I'm on some Nico forums and it seems like a fluke and or I just got a bad motor. Anyhow, I just had the tranny replaced under warranty and it's approaching 30k, I found a used engine at a yard with 30k, the car was tboned hard. My only concern is this engine was pulled and has been setting in a wharehouse for almost 7yrs. What concerns should I have here? My thought process is I'll have a mint condition altima with 30k on the drivetrain, I also have a 13 yr old who'll be driving before long and this would be a great first car. We have a GM tech in the family so I'll have around $1100 total in this ordeal. I already have new plugs and all the fluids I'll need.

I would be cautious with an engine that has sat that long. The cylinder bores could easily be rusty by now. If you could inspect the cylinders with a borescope and they were free of rust, it could be a good deal.

The yard did mention that they fill the cylinders with oil but good point. I'll get the engine back and check it out.

My plan was to fill the engine to the top with oil and let it sit and turn it over by hand several times. Drain it and install it and hope for the best.

If sitting in a warehouse with oil in the cylinders it should be perfectly fine. I've started engines that have sat in barns for 20+ years with no issue.

It's also relatively low risk at the costs you cite. At what rate has your oil consumption risen to? Despite the low cost, it would be nice to compression test the motor before you go through all the labor.

YES , HOW MUCH OIL IS IT BURNING ?

IF YOU COULD DO A CPMPRESSION TEST , UOU COULD GET AN IDEA IF THE OIL IS GOING PAST THE RIMGS OR THE VSLVE SEALS .

HOW MUCH IS THE CAR WORTH , AS , IS ?

For $1100, this is a risk that I would take. Your car is worth more than that, even with it's current oil consumption. For the money required to swap the engine, and with the idea that it would be passed down to your son in a few years, it would be worth it to me.

you've got a good plan. pre-lube the replacement motor and spin it by hand if it makes you feel better. a comp check would be fine too as a just-in-case, once it's in a stand with the TB wide open and jumpers to the starter. Having a couple of nissan products in the family, I've never seen their engines to be weak or frail - typically under-stressed with good materials and workmanship. We resurrected a pulsar that sat for a decade with less caution, and it ran like a sewing machine.

I bought the car new. Leather, all new rotors pads as well as shocks and new cvt. The car is immaculate. Im seeing cars half as nice in the 4k range so $1100 is definitely worth the investment. As far as consumption goes, it was always 3/4 of a qt per 1k. In a quest to see if I could reduce it through a piston soak and some oil treatment its at 1.5 qts in around 1300 miles.

This sounds like a pretty reasonable gamble given what the OPer has said about the engines and the vehicle.
One question I would have is how much wiring is left on an engine that has been pulled from a wrecked vehicle...I'm sure any warehouse is going to have some rodents in it and they may have been chewing on insulation if the replacement engine has been sitting for 7 years. I would guess most of the harnesses would have been taken off the engine, but I really don't know for sure.

most yards just take a cutting torch to the mounts and cut the wiring harneses anyways.

Problem is, if you are burning 1.5qts in 1300 miles, your catalytic converters are not long for this world. OEM replacement is probably $1000. Maybe more.

Pre cat on a Nissan is a few hundred for aftermarket. After all of nissans issues over the years theres no way id consider oem converters.

How many quarts of oil does $ 1100 buy ... ?

That is always the question. Is it worth it to take the time, effort, and risk of putting in a used engine that MIGHT be better, tighter, less oil consumption etc.

Or do you just keep topping up with cheap oil ?

If it were my daily driver then I agree. This is my sons car and although hes been pretty good at checking the oil, at some point, if the consumption worsens he will be late to the party. Ive got a chance to pair a 30K engine with a new cvt with the same miles for a reasonable amount of money. If the car had a spec of rust or was beat to [censored] I wouldn't even consider it. The car was paid off when I bought it new and minus a cvt whine and constant oil adding, the car has never had a single bolt turned on any accessories. I cant replace it. Heck, go to the dealer without a clue and a new Maf sensor would cost close to what I can buy an engine and have it installed for. I may come back here sad and with my tail between my legs, I hope not.

Originally Posted by geeman789
How many quarts of oil does $ 1100 buy ... ?

That is always the question. Is it worth it to take the time, effort, and risk of putting in a used engine that MIGHT be better, tighter, less oil consumption etc.

Or do you just keep topping up with cheap oil ?

As to not start another thread here. If I'm using an 09 engine swapped into an 09 car, does any programming need to be done? The 4th number in the vin is A on the donor and mine. The guy who's going to do it says no and he a GM tech...this is a Nissan. We swapped 327's and 350's back in the day in a few hours but I have no experience with the electronic crap of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back