GM LS High Oil Consumption Fix(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jetman
Here what the insides looked like when I pulled things apart. YUK !!! Of course I cleaned things up as best I could before reassembly.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This really is not uncommon at all and I have seen this far more times than I have not.

So this 2007 6.2 L92 has the AFM oil galleys, relief valve, valley pan, lifters, but not the PCM programming to activate it?

Clinebarger: Yes I didn't tell yall the rest of the story
smile.gif
. It was leaking oil too, out the rear main seal. The short version is: I'm a DIYer. I changed the rear main seal, dropped the oil pan and installed the GM relief valve shield per the TSB..

The shield also works
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by NYEngineer

Clinebarger, we spoke in the past about the parts to do a non AFM 5.3. I still have the list. You really stand by plugging the passage in the pan and using the lesser volume oil pump. Not that I value another opinion more than yours but it's different so I'm inclined to ask... I forgot who it was exactly but some famous engine builder said to do everything else but then use the AFM oil pump and not plug the passage and make sure you use the shield. Kinda doesn't make sense to me. I would think plugging is better.

I stand by it! Gen III LSx engines were beat the snot for years before the high volume pumps were produced by GM. They just don't need it...Don't have oiling problems & you're not going to go through all that work & not replace the oil pump because sticky regulator valves are a real thing on higher mileage units.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Well, I can tell you right now, the newer direct injected 5.3 (2015-2018) not only consumes oil, but is also known for fuel injector failures. Having fun with that right now. Yay me! 45,000 miles, not even two years old yet and I need injectors. Did a little search and YES, it is a common issue, and NO, GM does not cover it past the 3/36...it's not covered under my 5/60 drive train. $2,000 dollar repair...for ONE injector.

Man.....They railroaded you on that repair! The Injectors list for @ $110 & labor to do one injector is 2.5 hours. It's tough to get this job to $500 with Intake Gaskets & all the little FU charges you can think of!

All 8 might get there if you really pad the ticket.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Railrust
Well, I can tell you right now, the newer direct injected 5.3 (2015-2018) not only consumes oil, but is also known for fuel injector failures. Having fun with that right now. Yay me! 45,000 miles, not even two years old yet and I need injectors. Did a little search and YES, it is a common issue, and NO, GM does not cover it past the 3/36...it's not covered under my 5/60 drive train. $2,000 dollar repair...for ONE injector.

Man.....They railroaded you on that repair! The Injectors list for @ $110 & labor to do one injector is 2.5 hours. It's tough to get this job to $500 with Intake Gaskets & all the little FU charges you can think of!

All 8 might get there if you really pad the ticket.

Not to mention I would not have any of the work done at a dealership unless it was covered under warranty. Also GM not the dealership would need to inform me this was not covered.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer

Clinebarger, we spoke in the past about the parts to do a non AFM 5.3. I still have the list. You really stand by plugging the passage in the pan and using the lesser volume oil pump. Not that I value another opinion more than yours but it's different so I'm inclined to ask... I forgot who it was exactly but some famous engine builder said to do everything else but then use the AFM oil pump and not plug the passage and make sure you use the shield. Kinda doesn't make sense to me. I would think plugging is better.

I stand by it! Gen III LSx engines were beat the snot for years before the high volume pumps were produced by GM. They just don't need it...Don't have oiling problems & you're not going to go through all that work & not replace the oil pump because sticky regulator valves are a real thing on higher mileage units.

It was Lingenfelter that said leave it. Came to me yesterday. I'm stickin' with you. He builds fantasy toys. You're real world. Makes more sense anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
So this 2007 6.2 L92 has the AFM oil galleys, relief valve, valley pan, lifters, but not the PCM programming to activate it?

It does not have an AFM valley pan. Mine is smooth, no ridges. Lifters? oil galleys?

It was only the early production L92's that had all the AFM hardware (Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled) from Bulletin No.: 10-06-01-007C

Originally Posted by P10crew
Jet man can I ask what oil you were using prior to this tear down?

I don't know? I had just purchased this 07 Yukon Denali in Oct of 2018 w/aluminum L92 6.2L off a used car lot w/131k miles and no mx records. Somebody else was using who knows what? I fixed things about a month after I bought it. It has 152k miles on it now.

Here are the 2 UOA reports I've had done for this vehicle since I fixed things:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...sp-5w-40-8k-miles-07-gas-6-2#Post5237731

Jetman - I have the same Yukon in the XL version. It's been a great family hauler, it's hard to not like the full time all-wheel drive, especially this time of year. You have me thinking I need to keep a close eye on oil consumption on our rig. So far it uses no oil that I can see between changes. Runs like a top. We bought it from an older couple with 60k miles on the clock with service records showing it had been impeccably maintained, so I'm sure that contributed to my good luck so far. When we were shopping for it, we saw several Yukons with the 6.2 with over 200,00 miles and they ran great. We lucked out on our find. I hope it lasts for us. I run either M1 EP or Amsoil XL in it at 10,000 mile changes.

RonRonnster, this is a 3rd vehicle for us. We mainly use it to go back and fourth to our second home in the mtns of Colorado. It's a hwy wonderland. Generally speaking, hwy driving is easy on oil. But at 6000 Lbs , getting 17mpg, with an aluminum engine, it's hard on oil.

I suggest you shorten your OCI to 8k miles. If you looked over my two UOA reports, IMO you can see at 8k miles(25-30% remaining on the DIC) that the oil is ready to be changed and I'm using a top shelf oil. If you ran Amsoil Signature, or if you have a good oil cooler, I think 10k miles is OK.

I run a remote mounted Amsoil EaBP90 bypass filter plumbed into the oil cooler circuit. This adds about 3/4 qt to oil capacity. Our Yukon didn't come with an oil cooler. It did come with a trans cooler and power steering cooler. Someday I hope to add a Hayden oil cooler and a larger Hayden trans cooler.

I hope this helps

It does not have an AFM valley pan. Mine is smooth, no ridges. Lifters? oil galleys?

Was curious if you had the AFM lifters. Assuming the flat valley pan was factory installed, assumption is you don't. Hopefully not.

It was only the early production L92's that had all the AFM hardware (Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled) from Bulletin No.: 10-06-01-007C

They updated that TSB to "D" which is just the replacement of the 8 AFM lifters rather than all 16. In addition to other conditions like wrong grade oil poor maintenance, etc they mention aeration of the 8 AFM lifters contributing to ticking noise. From what I read the relief valve is installed with the high volume pumps used with activated AFM. That valve should only be blocked off when AFM is not in use AND the high volume pump is replaced with a standard pump. So if the engine never had AFM, has the standard pump, does it actually need that valve? Any valve living in the crud of an oil pan is at risk of getting stuck, rather not have it if possible.

Leaky Seals wrote: "Was curious if you had the AFM lifters. Assuming the flat valley pan was factory installed, assumption is you don't. Hopefully not.":

I'm curious what lifters I have too? I believe the non-AFM flat valley cover WAS factory installed 07-09. So maybe the lifters are non-AFM too?

It is my understanding too, that my oil pump is NOT a HV or High pressure unit. Proof is in the pudding. Cold psi at idle is 50, hot psi @ idle is 20, and goes down the hwy at 35 psi.

Last edited:
Another clue would be a screen under the oil pressure sensor. They put one on the AFM installed engines to protect the lifters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back