Honda HCF-2, 46k, 2014 Accord CVT (98k)

Had the second fluid change come up recently for my Accord's CVT. The factory fill was changed in 2017 at 51k by draining and filling, and I had it analyzed at that time. A single drain and fill changes about half of the fluid (3.9qts). There are some who advocate doing a 3x drain and fill (with some driving in-between changes) to more completely change the fluid. I was curious to see if this was really warranted, so I had this second change analyzed. It's only ever had Honda HCF-2 in it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So there was about 4 qts of the original factory fill still in circulation in the above analysis, and with the latest drain and fill, I guess that's down to around 2 qts now. Any reason to do additional fluid changes other than having the effect of draining and *not* filling my wallet? There are only a few other UOAs of HCF-2 on the board, and I think this one has shown the most shearing. A VOA on the board showed the 100c viscosity at 7.1cSt for this fluid. A little concerned this will get even worse when the car reaches ~150k miles, but unless I'm noticing an issue driving-wise, is that even a valid concern?

I would just replace every 25k and be content. I change mine every 10k with castrol transmax cvt fluid just for piece of mind and I bought like 80 qts on clearance.

I did Mine at 10, 20, and 30k, first change the fluid looked terrible and the magnet was caked with metal sludge, 20k it was dirty but it as bad, 30k looked brand new still. I did it again at 50k and the fluid was still the same color, I’ll probably stick to 20-30k interval. I used valvoline cvt and the universal Castrol, couldn’t tell a difference between the, both worked good as the day I drove it home. I am at 65k now and never had a mechanical issue, the tpms on the other hand makes me want to put a burning bag of poo on the porch of whoever designed that. Thanks for sharing the uoa.

Back